Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/13/2007 4:53:03 PM EDT
Which in your opinion is the most important safety rule regarding guns?

I have my #1 but will waite to see yall's opinions.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:55:49 PM EDT
"never point a weapon at anything you're not willing to destroy".

Even if it is REALLY loaded and even if you put your finger on the trigger, the odds are very high that no one will be hurt if you keep this one first and foremost in your mind.

my 0.02
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:57:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

Even if it is REALLY loaded and even if you put your finger on the trigger, the odds are very high that no one will be hurt if you keep this one first and foremost in your mind.

my 0.02

Yep.

When all else fails, at least you won't hit anyone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:00:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By billparadise:

my 0.02

Yep.

well, you won't hit anyone as long as you're sure of your target and what is BEHIND IT!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:00:59 PM EDT
Dont shoot at snakes in trees and kill 5 year olds.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:02:29 PM EDT
Treat EVERY Weapon As If It Is Loaded.

If you Follow this one rule then the others are not needed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:03:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ripak:

yes they still are
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:05:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USGI_45:
Dont shoot at snakes in trees and kill 5 year olds.

Bingo! We have a winner.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:05:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By billparadise:

my 0.02

Yep.

Just becase you "think" you are not pointing it at anyone does not make that true!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:09:22 PM EDT

yes they still are

How? I am treating it as loaded so any and all other safety rules would apply. If it was treated as UNLOADED I could point it at things and feel safe as it's UNLOADED.

You know an UNLOADED gun never HURT anyone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:09:23 PM EDT
all the rules combined.....

treat it as its all loaded ready to fire, don't point it at what it can/will destroy, what's behind where its pointed,its not a toy...etc etc .....it has to all come together to be a safe way of life.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:14:25 PM EDT
Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to kill or destroy.

Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until your sights are on the target and you have made the decision to fire.

Treat all firearms with the respect due a loaded firearm.

Be sure of your target and what is around it.

Keep firearms out of reach of irresponsible adults and children.

All of those are the most important rule.
If I could only pick 1 it would be the first one I listed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:16:34 PM EDT
Safety is all important with firearms

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:18:38 PM EDT

yes they still are

How? I am treating it as loaded so any and all other safety rules would apply. If it was treated as UNLOADED I could point it at things and feel safe as it's UNLOADED.

You know an UNLOADED gun never HURT anyone.

Know your target and what is beyond it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2007 5:23:26 PM EDT by Ripak]

Originally Posted By sum-rifle:

Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until your sights are on the target and you have made the decision to fire.

I vote #4 by your listing as the FIRST rule to follow.

As in I see a firearm before I can pick it up. How should I treat it?
I must pick it up before I can do anything ( point/aim or put my finger on the trigger)
The OP it askng the #1 most important rule or If you could only use one rule. As I understand it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:20:44 PM EDT
For me it's never touch the trigger until you are ready to fire.

It is something that applies more because sometimes we handle firearms with no intention of shooting far more often than we do with the purpose of shooting.

So if you avoid the trigger like it's on fire, even if the gun is loaded or pointed where it shouldn't be or treated like it's empty & even though it's still violates the rules, no harm will come if the trigger is not pulled.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:23:02 PM EDT

I vote #3 as the FIRST rule to follow.

I must pick it up before I can do anything ( point/aim or put my finger on the trigger)
The OP it askng the #1 most important rule or If you could only use one rule. As I understand it.

I see your point and agree. If you are treating it as a loaded firearm you will point it in a safe direction.

Several of these really go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:24:24 PM EDT

I vote #3 as the FIRST rule to follow.

I see your point and agree. If you are treating it as a loaded firearm you will point it in a safe direction.

Several of these really go hand in hand.

TY
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:25:48 PM EDT
THE GUN IS ALWAYS TREATED AS IF IT'S LOADED!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:26:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Searcherfortruth:

It is something that applies more because sometimes we handle firearms with no intention of shooting far more often than we do with the purpose of shooting.

So if you avoid the trigger like it's on fire, even if the gun is loaded or pointed where it shouldn't be or treated like it's empty & even though it's still violates the rules, no harm will come if the trigger is not pulled.

And by the same token, if you always keep it pointed in a safe direction even if somehow you broke the rule about keeping your finger off the trigger and you fired the gun, nobody gets hurt because it was pointed in a safe direction.

As remote as it may be, a cocked and locked .45 could have the sear break and fire even if the trigger is not pulled correct?

"Always Point the Muzzle in a Safe Direction"
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:37:41 PM EDT

my 0.02

im with this one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:40:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2007 5:42:39 PM EDT by Searcherfortruth]

And by the same token, if you always keep it pointed in a safe direction even if somehow you broke the rule about keeping your finger off the trigger and you fired the gun, nobody gets hurt because it was pointed in a safe direction.

As remote as it may be, a cocked and locked .45 could have the sear break and fire even if the trigger is not pulled correct?

"Always Point the Muzzle in a Safe Direction"

Thing is, when I take my ccw off I don't always have a safe direction to point it, as I'm in my house, & there really isn't anything I would chose to destroy or any direction in my house that is safe except the ceiling & that wouldn't be safe in a 2 story building.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:40:12 PM EDT
Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2007 6:09:06 PM EDT by Searcherfortruth]

Originally Posted By SO758:

my 0.02

im with this one.

Playing the odds great. I guess it's OK to shoot at the sky because at most theres only about 7 people up the in the shuttle. What goes up must come down on how many people? I think it's in the Billions of us down here on this big ass rock.

Well what if I want to pratice dry firing my weapon?
I'm not planning to destroy what Im aiming at.

I would treat my weapon as loaded until I proved this was not the case.
Then I could point my weapon at my dry fire target.

Since reading all the dry firing "I shot my wall" post on ARFcom I no longer dry fire for practice. I do it only for a functions check after I have thoroughly cleared the weapon or just reassembled it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:28:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tweeter:
Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

That's why I have trained myself to never touch the trigger. So it won't go BOOM! even if I screw up on one of the other rules.

I'm just saying, I know I'm not perfect but if I can be 100% on that rule, I should never have an ND resulting in death or damage.

Like the SF Kali Cop what just done is self in!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:40:56 PM EDT
Finger of Trigger

It jus went off ocifer!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:42:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:45:01 PM EDT
The 4 rules always stand, but I prefer to sum them up in my mind as: PAY ATTENTION.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:48:02 PM EDT
The most important rule?

Shutup.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:28:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SO758:

my 0.02

im with this one.

Playing the odds great. I guess it's OK to shoot at the sky because at most theres only about 7 people up the in the shuttle. What goes up must come down on how many people? I think it's in the Billions of us down here on this big ass rock.

Well what if I want to pratice dry firing my weapon?
I'm not planning to destroy what Im aiming at.

I would treat my weapon as loaded until I proved this was not the case.
Then I could point my weapon at my dry fire target.

Since reading all the dry firing "I shot my wall" post on ARFcom I no longer dry fire for practice. I do it only for a functions check after I have thoroughly cleared the weapon or just reassembled it.

CAUTION!!! thread hijack in progress

The problem with giving up dry firing is that you have lost an important tool that will help you maintain your shooting skills.

I firmly believe that almost all "dry firing" NDs do not occur within a proper practice session.

Proper dry fire practice will yield great benefits if treated as serious practice. It does not take place where live ammo is present. If you are to practice with your carry piece, unload and move all live ammo to another room.

Droping the hammer a few times while pointing the gun in the general direction of the nearest wall during commercial breaks of the Sci Fi channel is NOT a dry fire practice session.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:32:14 PM EDT
I'd say definaty MUZZLE CONTROL.

If all else fails, if your gun is pointed in a safe direction, nobody gets hurt. a ND may be bad, and embarrasing.

But its better than an AD, and having to say your sorry to the dead persons family
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:41:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Young-Kiwi:
Safety is all important with firearms

www.thoseshirts.com/images/imaogun600.jpg

I agree completely, especially the part about not letting a monkey handle my gun.

In all seriousness, I treat all guns as if loaded, I also check frequently to make sure. Especially while drinking. (I couldn't resist that comment, sorry.)
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:12:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2007 7:13:24 AM EDT by Searcherfortruth]

Originally Posted By TrickyVic: CAUTION!!! thread hijack in progress

The problem with giving up dry firing is that you have lost an important tool that will help you maintain your shooting skills.

I firmly believe that almost all "dry firing" NDs do not occur within a proper practice session.

Proper dry fire practice will yield great benefits if treated as serious practice. It does not take place where live ammo is present. If you are to practice with your carry piece, unload and move all live ammo to another room.

Droping the hammer a few times while pointing the gun in the general direction of the nearest wall during commercial breaks of the Sci Fi channel is NOT a dry fire practice session.

So how would one have a correct dry fire session, & wouldn't it be just as easy to go shooting for real?

I still believe after all the reading making sure I never touch the trigger serves me the best as I deal with my carry pistol on a daily basis, & handle it many times a day. going to the crapper, going to bed, removing it in my car to go into places where it's not allowed.

What is a safe direction to point my 1911 locked & cocked in my car, or in a bathroom?
Top Top