Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 6:10:15 AM EST
Does nayone have links to the statutes?

I am having a debate with a Brit and an Austrialian about gun laws in the UK and he doesn't want to cite actual law, just make assertions about them that aren't based on facts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:45:56 AM EST
Doesn't anyone know how to use search engines?

London Metropolitan Police Firearms Enquiries Unit

New South Wales, Australia Firearms Act

New South Wales is the most populous Australian State. While there will be small variations in firearms law between the different Australian states and territories, you can take NSW as representative.

The UK has one set of firearm laws, so the London Police site is good enough.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:50:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:56:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2004 7:07:18 AM EST by nightstalker]
law.gov.au/

(2) An applicant does not have a genuine reason for possessing or using a firearm if the applicant intends to possess or use the firearm for any of the following reasons:

(a) personal protection or the protection of any other person,

(b) the protection of property (other than in circumstances constituting a genuine reason as set out in the Table to this section).

(3) Subsection (2) does not limit the reasons which the Commissioner may be satisfied are not genuine reasons for the purposes of justifying the possession or use of a firearm.

(4) Subject to this Act, an applicant for a licence has a genuine reason for possessing or using a firearm if the applicant:

(a) states that he or she intends to possess or use the firearm for any one or more of the reasons set out in the Table to this section, and

(b) is able to produce evidence to the Commissioner that he or she satisfies the requirements specified in respect of any such reason.

Table Reason: sport/target shooting The applicant must be a current member of a shooting club approved by the Commissioner in accordance with the regulations, and which conducts competitions or activities requiring the use of the firearm for which the licence is sought. Reason: recreational hunting/vermin control The applicant must:

(a) be the owner or occupier of rural land, or

(b) produce proof of permission given by the owner or occupier of rural land, or by an officer of the National Parks and Wildlife Service, the Department of Land and Water Conservation, the Forestry Commission or other authority prescribed by the regulations, to shoot on rural land, or

(c) be a current member of a hunting club approved by the Commissioner in accordance with the regulations.

The regulations may provide for the manner and form in which any such permission is to be given, the extent to which it operates, and how it is to be produced as evidence by the applicant. A person does not, so long as the person is authorised to give permission to shoot on rural land, incur any liability merely because the person gives the applicant permission to shoot on the land concerned. Reason: primary production The applicant must:

(a) be a person whose occupation is the business of a primary producer, or who is the owner, lessee or manager of land used for primary production, and

(b) state that he or she intends to use the firearm solely in connection with farming or grazing activities (including the suppression of vertebrate pest animals on the land concerned).

Reason: vertebrate pest animal control The applicant must be:

(a) a professional contract shooter engaged or employed in controlling vertebrate pest animals on rural land, or

(b) a person employed by or in, or authorised by, a government agency prescribed by the regulations that has functions relating to the control or suppression of vertebrate pest animals, or

(c) a person whose occupation is the business of a primary producer, or who is the owner, lessee or manager of land used for primary production, and who is participating in an authorised campaign conducted by or on behalf of a government agency or public authority to eradicate large feral animals or animals that are affected by brucellosis or tuberculosis.

Reason: business or employment The applicant must demonstrate that it is necessary in the conduct of the applicant’s business or employment to possess or use the firearm for which the licence is sought. Reason: occupational requirements relating to rural purposes The applicant must be employed or engaged in a rural occupation that requires the possession or use of the firearm for which the licence is sought. Reason: animal welfare The applicant must be:

(a) an officer of the RSPCA or the Animal Welfare League who is a special constable, or

(b) a veterinary surgeon, or

(c) a person employed by or within the Department of Agriculture or a Rural Lands Protection Board with responsibilities for animal welfare, or

(d) an owner, transporter, drover or other handler of animals who may need to destroy animals to avoid suffering.

Reason: firearms collection The applicant must:

(a) be a current member of a collectors’ society or club approved by the Commissioner in accordance with the regulations, and

(b) provide a written statement by that collectors’ society or club confirming that the applicant’s firearms collection has a genuine commemorative, historical, thematic or financial value.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:09:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By Daytona955i:
img86.exs.cx/img86/6302/google3.jpg

I did, didn't find anything worthwhile.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:43:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By SC-Texas:
Does nayone have links to the statutes?

I am having a debate with a Brit and an Austrialian about gun laws in the UK and he doesn't want to cite actual law, just make assertions about them that aren't based on facts.

What do you want to know??

I can give you the full run down on UK laws

Mark
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:40:11 AM EST
One thing I want to know is whether these laws are SHALL issue as to the licenses for the guns.

Also, are their any protections for gun owners that a new bureaucrat will not review the licenses and revoke them.

Also, what can you own?

Airguns?

Handguns?

­Semiauto rifles?

Shotguns?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:42:13 AM EST
Quite obviously they are may issue....it's a privilege, not a right. Shall issue implies EVERYONE CAN GET ONE, at least in the terminology that we understand. Just because you have a license you are still not able to use the weapon to defend your life, or your family's life or your property, except if it's against a rat or mice or roos. Now they have the same non-sense in regards to swords complete with permits or licenses, at least in Victoria, NSW.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:44:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:45:48 AM EST

One thing I want to know is whether these laws are SHALL issue as to the licenses for the guns.

Also, are their any protections for gun owners that a new bureaucrat will not review the licenses and revoke them.

Also, what can you own?

Airguns?

Handguns?

­Semiauto rifles?

Shotguns?

Ok, Here in the UK we are allowed the following:-
Airguns up to a muzzle energy of 12 ft/lb for air rifles, 6 ft/lb for air pistols. Anything greater than this requires a firearms license.

Handguns, NO. Unless it is black powder and is of the muzzle loading type.
It is totally legal to have what they refer to as a "long barrelled revolver". These typically have a minimum barrel length of 12". This is the minimum barrel length. They must also be a minimum length of 24"OAL. They are actually classed as rifles. The minimum length's for rifle's is the same.
To acheive this in a handgun means that it must have a 12" barrel and a stock extension otherwise referred to as a wrist brace. There is no magazine capacity limit for rifles.

Semi-auto rifles. Only in .22rf I'm afraid

Shotguns. Yes. There are a couple of categories. Any shotgun with a max capacity of 3rds, with a minimum barrel length of 24" and a minimum oal of 40" is classed as a section 2 firearm.
A high capacity shotgun is classed as a section 1 firearm, the same as a rifle or other legal firearm.
A typical double barrelled shotgun with a barrel shorter than 12" or with a oal shorter than 24" is also classed as a section 1 firearm.
If a semi-auto or pump shotgun has a barrel shorter than 24" or a oal shorter than 40", it is classed as a section 5 firearm.
Section 5 firearm's are generally prohibited. This is the same classification for semi and full auto rifles,machine guns and handguns.
Section 5 licenses are not impossible, but very difficult to get and are usually only issued to certain dealers and manufacturers.

It is also possible to own certain types of rifles and handguns that are generally prohibited, for historical reasons, or if you are a licensed collector.
We can also have suppressors,almost without question.

None of these licenses are SHALL issue and the laws CAN be changed but only by an act of parliament, which isn't easy.

Hope this helps

Mark
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:14:05 PM EST

Also, are their any protections for gun owners that a new bureaucrat will not review the licenses and revoke them. Any law must be passed through the House of Representatives and the Senate. Pro gun lobbys will try their best to stop any new laws, as will farmers etc.

Also, what can you own?

Airguns? Come under same restrictions as handguns and rifles. There is no seperate airgun category

Handguns? 120mm min barrel length for semi auto, 100mm min barrel length for revolver/single shot. 10 round mag cap. .38/9mm or less only except in some cases where .45 is allowed but only for "cowboy" competitions and metallic sihouette competitions. .45s can only be used in the competition and not for practise.

Semiauto rifles? If you want one, good fuckin luck! GOtta be a manufacturer or distributor or a professional hunter or something to get one.

Shotguns?

In the NSW firearms act, A=rimfire rifle bolt action/sinlge shot, B=centrefire rifle bolt action/single shot, C=rimfire rifle semi auto, D=semi auto centrefire rifle, H=pistol

I can answer almost any Q about NSW gun laws, except for most shotgun stuff
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:50:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2004 2:51:40 PM EST by SWO_daddy]
You asked for links to the laws. I GIVE them to you.

Now, instead, you just ask people what they know about them. Even people from OZ and UK may forget something about them, just like we can't know every single fucking law here.

Next time, do your own fucking research.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:52:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2004 2:53:56 PM EST by Sin_Bin]
oops...forget me...sorry
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:09:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:
You asked for links to the laws. I GIVE them to you.

Now, instead, you just ask people what they know about them. Even people from OZ and UK may forget something about them, just like we can't know every single fucking law here.

Next time, do your own fucking research.

Hey dude, don't get your FUCKING panties twisted over this. Sorry, you must be worried that your state is going to go for Kerry or something so I understand the outburst. Thanks for the links, they were what I wanted , along with some commentary on them.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:23:22 AM EST
Link to the discussion with the liberal gun grabebrs on SailingAnarchy.com

Gun ownership discussion
Top Top