Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 6:54:59 PM EDT
Firearm possesion for protection is illegal?  I guess getting eaten by a bear or a mountain lion is OK
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
It is ok here in Florida if you are just passing through but not if you are actually visiting the National Forest except during hunting season. State parks here are off-limits to firearms no matter what and the Wildlife management areas allow firearms only during hunting season if you have the right license.  My brother got a ticket for it one time because he had a 10/22 behind the seat of his truck   The only exception in the off-season around here is if you are on a road where it is allowed in order to access the public range.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
What happens if you get caught with one, is it a felony? Its Federal land...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Firearm possesion for protection is illegal?  I guess getting eaten by a bear or a mountain lion is OK

Logic & Politicians don't mix.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
On the way to work I pass through an Indian reservation (federal land), Santa Fe National Forest,(federal land) ..loaded and concealed weapons in vehicle are ok...
But then I have to pass through about 10 miles of Bandelier National Monument, ( same as a national park).. the sign says "no loaded weapons allowed".  But then again, I have never seen anyone pulling over to unload before traveling through...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It is ok here in Florida if you are just passing through but not if you are actually visiting the National Forest except during hunting season. State parks here are off-limits to firearms no matter what and the Wildlife management areas allow firearms only during hunting season if you have the right license.  My brother got a ticket for it one time because he had a 10/22 behind the seat of his truck   The only exception in the off-season around here is if you are on a road where it is allowed in order to access the public range.

No guns in National Forest in FL? I know Parks and Monuments are off limits, but around here National Forest is AOK; it is where I do most of my shooting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Family vacations can include trips to our National Parks throughout the U.S., or you may have to drive though one of them to get to your final destination.  Can you carry a loaded gun during your trip?  The answer is no.  You can transport your firearm if it is in a case, unloaded, or dismantled. If you have a summer home in a National Park [see definition below], you are allowed to keep a loaded firearm in the dwelling, but you cannot travel with the firearm loaded outside of this dwelling.

Alaska's Denali National Park may have some different rules also.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Go here:  www.vcdl.org/

and scroll down the page to "VCDL Leading The Fight For National Park Carry"

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No

A National Forest is not the same thing as a National Park.

Firearms in ALL National Parks are illegal in National Forests it varies.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No

National Forests firearms regs are determined by the states, here is an example of Florida:

790.11  Carrying firearms in national forests prohibited.-
Except during the hunting season as established by law, no person shall carry, on or
about his person, or in any vehicle in which such person may be riding, or on any animal
which such person may be using, within the limits of a national forest area within the
state, any gun or firearm of any description whatever, without first having obtained a
permit as hereinafter prescribed except on state roads when securely locked within a vehicle.

790.12  Permit may be granted by county commissioners.-
The board of county commissioners of the county, or counties, where such national
forest area is located, may grant special permit for the carrying of firearms to be
specifically described in such permit, when the granting of such permit shall have
been recommended in writing by the officer or employee of the United States Government
in charge of such national forest area; and, where such area lies in more than one county,
such permit must be granted by the board of county commissioners of each of the several
counties involved before the same shall be valid.

One of the few bullshit state laws we have to observe I need to be writing some people about this.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No

+1.  

I always wanted to know that if you possess a valid hunting license (coon, deer, turkey, hog ect) for whatever season you happen to be in the Forest in and had a gun, would they take that into consideration?  Yes, Mr. Ranger, I use my Kimber TLE/RL II to take squirrels/raccoons/[insert the varmint of your choice].

State of Florida regulations specify no "center fire, semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds" but doesn't talk about pistols.  I have legitimately hunted with pistols (.44 MAG) but never tested any other caliber.  I know that CCW is strictly prohibited.

I've done a lot of backpacking over the years and was always armed.  Browning HP, S&W 469, Taurus .44 Special and have talked to many rangers while having my pistol in my backpack or concealed.  I never really thought about it though.  I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by one…..big assed bear into the woods to be fed to her cubs.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I passed through Yosemite National park a couple months ago. Been there a thousand times. For the first time I noticed a sign at the Tioga Pass entrance that said,

"No loaded firearms allowed.
All firearms must be declared"
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What happens if you get caught with one, is it a felony? Its Federal land...

I believe this is why Chris Simcox can't own a gun. I think he did 2 years for carrying in a National Park.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]
It's illegal to have a gun in your car while driving on the Natchez Trace Parkway...too bad. What the Ranger don't know, the Ranger don't know..I'll be too busy driving 50 mph to get pulled over..
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]
They're just another defenseless victim zone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top