Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2011 9:12:52 AM EDT
Question for the firearms instructors here. How do you document for firearms instruction for your agency? I'm currently keeping everything on a course roster, but it's kind of "busy" for keeping track of numerous people, some with several different weapons. Does anyone use individual sheets-one for each officer/deputy? I often run into the situation where I've got to qualify someone from another agency by themselves.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
We do electronic individual records and paper sign in sheets. Then there is each course and qual. There is no "easy" way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
During classes, IST, ect. we have everybody sign in on a paper roster for proof they were there.  Each officer has a qualifications sheet and after it is signed off on  the officer gets the yellow copy and the white copy is forwarded to training division to be put in the officers files.  The sheet has lines for several different firearms (cant remember how many can be on one sheet) including pistols, shotguns, and rifles.  Training division also adds the record to the computer so officers/admin can easily pull up their training history.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
During classes, IST, ect. we have everybody sign in on a paper roster for proof they were there.  Each officer has a qualifications sheet and after it is signed off on  the officer gets the yellow copy and the white copy is forwarded to training division to be put in the officers files.  The sheet has lines for several different firearms (cant remember how many can be on one sheet) including pistols, shotguns, and rifles.  Training division also adds the record to the computer so officers/admin can easily pull up their training history.

This is pretty close to how it's done at my place also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
ours are redundent.

We have a binder with pages for each person that contains their duty and off duty gun S/n's, and course scores/dates, notes etc. Then everyone (we usually do it by training flight) filles out a training form that is turned into the training sgt who enters it into our master training computer program (nice because they can print out every training you have had since day one).

The binder stays with the firearms cadre and more or less informational and the training program is accessible by the training sgt and maybe one or two other people in the dept.

J-
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Individual files at the academy, and an excel spreadsheet on the lead firearms instructor's computer.  There's no way around duplication.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Same here as far as keeping it on a roster but we will start keeping on the PC here soon.   That be the smart way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Individual files at the academy, and an excel spreadsheet on the lead firearms instructor's computer.  There's no way around duplication.

This.  We do similar at the dept. level too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I use an excel spreadsheet roster which shows handgun, rifle, shotgun, tacticl/stress and dim light quals. There are also blocks for weapons make, models and serial numbers.

I go over the material I use every year. I put everything on a CD for the chief; my training manual in Microsoft Word, my Power Point presentation and all the drills or scenarios I have them run through.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Paper sign in sheets and electronic records keeping
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:43:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll try to develop some kind of form to cover everything for individual officers at each training and/or qualification session and stick with a simpler class roster/sign-in sheet.

An excel spreadsheet will probably have to be down the road somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
We used to keep individual Agent firearms qualification records (for all weapons qual'd with) on a quarterly record on paper as well as an electronic Microsoft Access program then file the paper version.

Now we use one qualification sheet with all Agents for any given training day (for all weapons) then they are entered electronically on a new computer program.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
All paper here.

The original is copied twice. The original goes to the rangemaster's office, one goes to the Sheriff, and the other goes to the deputy's shift SGT.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I think we are talking about two different things. One is qualification, which requires a score of a passing grade.  The score is written on a carbon form along with officers' info., weapons info., and the courses fired.  The original is kept at the range, the copy is sent back with the officer to their boss. The second issue is training records.  Every state has an agency that controls the standards for the officers in their state.  Alot of states require range officers to have a course description/syllabus for each course/module that is instructed.  Some states even require these records are kept on file for 99 years.  Call your state agency to make sure you are in compliance, if not get in compliance.  Stay safe Brother
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top