Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2002 4:57:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely not, unless you plan to sell one... but you never know... a whole lotta strange stuff sells on eBay... give it a try!
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It'd be a wise thing to keep all the original boxes incase you want to sell any firearms.The original boxes increase the value in many cases. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep them,  I'm attempting to sell a couple prebans and I have no idea where their boxes are.  I'm going to have to swing by a couple gun shops tomorrow and see if they have any boxes for sale.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If they have been fired, why keep them?  I would not pay one more dime for a box if I was buying.  If you need to ship them sometime down the road, get a cheap Doskosil case - that's what Bushmaster uses anyway.
View Quote

How can you ship those without package material around it?  How do you secure it closed?  Plus isn't it an invitation to anyone wanting to steal the gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The original box for the firearm can increase the resale value.  I'd guess $50 or more, much more in some cases.
I, too, have most of the original boxes and I kept them for that reason.
I even have most of the scope boxes.
Anybody have a value estimate for having the original container for the gun when selling?
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I burn them to erase the evidence.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they have been fired, why keep them?  I would not pay one more dime for a box if I was buying.  If you need to ship them sometime down the road, get a cheap Doskosil case - that's what Bushmaster uses anyway.
View Quote

How can you ship those without package material around it?  How do you secure it closed?  Plus isn't it an invitation to anyone wanting to steal the gun.
View Quote

I ship all my rifles in a cheap Doskocil case, but the case is inside the cardboard box the case came in and the lot is wrapped in butcher paper. For all they know I could be shipping a guitar.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#11]
What BusMaster007 said.  Just browse through the Blue Book of Gun Values and read what the intro says throughly...  original boxes ARE a keeper, should you ever decide to sell.  For example, the 4 digit Ruger Super Blackhawk that belonged to my father, that I passed on to my son, is presently worth/valued at $300.00 MORE!  just because the original box had been kept from when that particular revolver left the Ruger factory.  You just never know...  otherwise, you're going to be one of those who'll end up sitting around in 5-10 or 30 years muttering to whom ever will listen...  "Gosh, if I only knew then what I know now about that damn box it came in.".  You'll be [>(] and I for one, don't want to hear it [;D]
W
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I ship all my rifles in a cheap Doskocil case, but the case is inside the cardboard box the case came in and the lot is wrapped in butcher paper. For all they know I could be shipping a guitar.
View Quote

Where can you purchase these with the boxes?  Walmart?
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 4:53:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I trash mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I think its a good idea to keep the boxes.  

About three years ago (my pre-gun safe days), my home was broken into and I lost 9 guns valued at > $5500, among other things.  My insurance company had me give them a list of everything that I lost.  My policy is for full replacement cost.  In order to get full replacement cost I had to prove ownership on all of the guns.  

To do this I had to show an owners manual, picture, proof of purchase, etc.  Just providing serial numbers wasn't enough (besides all of my serial numbers were on the computer that was stolen, and the backup copy was in the briefcase that was stolen.)  Fortunately, I had the boxes for all the guns that were stolen except one. The information on the end of the box was my proof of ownership for many of the items that I lost.
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I would guess some of you fine folks save used rubber bands and twine also??

[:D]
Link Posted: 3/30/2002 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top