Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2002 10:19:46 AM EDT
In viewing the threads going on about the sunset of the '94 ban, I've come to the conclusion that many don't understand politics.

Votes are all that matters to politicians.  The rich/interest groups gain influence by donating cash to politicians with acquisition of votes being the final goal.  There are probably only a few hundred thousand people in the country that strongly care about the AW ban as it was written.  There are simply not enough people that the ban harms to be a viable political force.  The legislative forces at work know that as long as this effected number is kept below the point of viability that they can do essentially what they please.  

The NIMBY syndrome applies (Not In My Back Yard)!  In our case, discussing what will inevitably be a new and very harsh bill, the uneffected gun owners will not fight it, and view it as a positive thing, as they "dodged the bullet" yet again.  Hence our numbers will be kept politically weak.

Legislative bodies do not really care about individuals, only the mass of voters.  Do you really think you stomping off the the libertarian party scares Republicans?  The stance that makes you upset, may just bring in two others.  They care about the net, not the gross.

Our lawmakers should indeed care about constitutional rights, but they really dont.  That's the job of the courts.  In fact, I predict that that's where the final judgement will be made of this harsh new AW ban(which will inevitably be passed in '04).  The courts will be our final hope, and yes that scares the hell out of me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top