Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 8:45:22 PM EDT
I am a mechanical engineering student.  I am looking into pursuing firearm design.  If you have any information on careers in firearm design, I would greatly appreciate a chance to talk with you.  Just shoot me a message on here if you would.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:43:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, it is a very small industry and people that get hired will typically have some expirience before they get hired into the field.  I'm an ME and nothing would be more satisfying than to design firearms, but there is very little demand.  There was a fellow on AR15.com, Bill was his name IIRC, that worked for as an engineer for Remington at one time but I haven't seen him on the board for quite some time now.  He hung out on the High Power forum.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am a mechanical engineering student.  I am looking into pursuing firearm design.  If you have any information on careers in firearm design, I would greatly appreciate a chance to talk with you.  Just shoot me a message on here if you would.

Steve

Career in firearm design == get a real job, get an 07FFL, and start a side business in which you design firearms and sell the resultant work to others.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as I know, firearms design is a pretty small industry and pretty hard to get into as a serious career, what with firearms being a pretty mature technology. I am a ME grad, and many of our grads who want to make weapons get jobs at one of the big aerospace contractors (Boeing, McDonnell, Lockheed, etc).

If you really want to do it, you'll have to be seriously obsessed and willing to sacrifice a lot before you get anywhere. I'd do pretty much what AeroE said.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#5]
In addition to the above-mentioned advice, make sure you have lots of money

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 to all the above advice.

Don't just try and break in with a small gun manufacturer - that's one of the most fucked up industries I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats not what I wanted to hear.  You were supposed to say call me at ### when you graduate, I'll have a job for you.hanks
Thanks for the info.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thats not what I wanted to hear.  You were supposed to say call me at ### when you graduate, I'll have a job for you.  Thanks for the responses.  I guess I'll just have to stick with something not so exciting, like designing cars.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

Well, hell. Call me when you graduate. I'll have a job for you. *

* - It won't be designing firearms, however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top