Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2014 8:50:06 PM EDT
Why do you guys not use camlock fittings? Just curious as to their advantage over the 10 or so size/threads some companies have to have for all the different era hydrants.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about stortz fittings?
ETA: there's virtually no standard across the country let alone some counties, that usually means we carry about every sort of coupling and adapter known to mankind as we could go anywhere and run into anything...
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
These

We use them for our water systems and I was just curious. A lot easier to cam a fitting on in the winter than dealing with threads and curious as for the fire fighters reasons.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have only see those used on "fire hoses" that are used with trash pumps and the like.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
They are big in the petrol industry, and i have seen them on brush trucks for wildland stuff. The only logical guess I can come up with is $$$ or some NFPA  standard. I wouldn't want to have them on an attack line due to the potential of hanging up on something and disconnecting.  I don't see a problem at the hydrant or at the pump panel.

Another reason is redundancy. Especially in a Mutual/Automatic aid situation.

Thinking outside of the box is kind of a no no in the fire service. NFPA doesn't like the firefighters making logical decisions for the field. NFPA does it for us.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#6]
My department and a few others around here use them for fill ports on tankers and brush trucks. Mostly for the issue of shuttling water in a rural setting. Since we are slowly getting more and more hydrants in the district over the years, we also added LDH with storz fittings. With that said though, no particular fitting is perfect. All have drawbacks. Camlocks are not widely used, and you must keep extra O-rings on the trucks, and extra "ears" at the station plus a few extra couplings in case you drop one on a hard surface. Storz seems to do better for supply hose though honestly. Also with the lighter threaded couplings we have now for attack lines, they hold up better as well. Older brass couplings were a PIA. Beyond camlocks, and storz, we have NST and two local threads as well. I don't see anything changing to standardize stuff for many years yet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:07:44 AM EDT
[#7]
we also have mutual aid with Canadian fire departments .    we have one compartment  of each truck for just adapters .  it's almost comical
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#8]
to easy to come off if moving hose around a house. Only thing we use them for (3") is our trash pumps
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I can see the 'arms' getting caught on things and becoming disconnected and/or caught.
All of our 5" hose is Storz, which also has the benefit of being sexless

Everything else is threaded.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Winter? What's that.
We use Stortz, NST threaded couplings in various sizes, FEC for rail hydrants and we carry some regular water pipe sizes due to well pumps.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]
100% threaded here.

ETA: Cost is the issue for us, we've always used threaded so we always will because it would cost us too much to change.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top