Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 6:48:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2010 8:10:50 AM EDT by mq1kael]
I have been using the dept issue axes and find them lacking. I am looking for a good quality axe and my birthday is coming up, my wife is asking to get me something not gun related (fat chance)
But I have been kicking around the idea of a good axe with a sheath that I can take to each truck when I move around or do OT. I would like a f/g handle and I'm not sold on flat or pick. They both have their uses and cons but I would just like to hear everyones ideas and maybe a vote for which company your axe is made by and why you do or don't like it.

I would also like to know about what internet/mail order companies you've dealt with and your experiences with said folks. It would be a plus if they are owned or give donations to NP orgs assoc w/ service or mil

Edit: Forgot to add the reason I started thinking I needed one. I caught some of the other shifts purposely dulling the axe, claiming it will stick in something if it's too sharp. When I tried to explain that you can get it out, and I've swung a lotta axe and never stuck one I couldn't get out he just kept on. So instead of fixing what other people insist on screwing withI'll get my own kit and be done with that argument
Thanks for the time to answer
Kael
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:41:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2010 7:48:47 AM EDT by Tango7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:00:16 AM EDT
Not too worried about the politics as I can get around/through that
I like the retro look, but I think f/g is the way to go for me

I'm on an engine, hottest station in town (thank goodness)
either's easy to rehandle, I'll let the people that build it redo it as I don't wanna worry about whether I did it right. Know I could but dont' need to worry about learning something else

I'm also looking for a brand and/or favorable experiences on companies, any ideas there?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:39:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2010 10:47:10 AM EDT by jvic]
I just got a 32" pickhead from Fire Axe Inc last week. Haven't used it yet, and it might be a while based on our call volume. Seems very nice. I went with the fiberglass handle as it would be stored in my trunk and I didn't think wood would hold up as well back there, but it was a tough decision as the wood handle looked nice.

The sheath costs almost as much as the axe, so I haven't bought that yet. I am just using a holster on a swivel mounted on my SCBA strap.

Check out this review:

http://www.vententersearch.com/reviews/fireaxereview.htm

It's tough to beat http://thefirestore.com/ for price and service. I have ordered many things from them and have always been happy. If you watch for the sales that come up from time to time you can save even more. I ended up using a 5% off for facebook fans discount on the axe.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:06:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2010 12:10:42 PM EDT by jvic]
Also, this Paratech axe looks interesting if you are thinking about a flathead, but I have never used it:

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_6591_paratech_topcut_fire_axe/
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:51:56 AM EDT
I have personally do not like fiber glass handles. I have had grip trouble issues with wet gloves. It not so much the swing as it is with using one to pull a ceiling.

I would make sure with your chief, as others have said, before purchasing to avoid any possible conflicts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 6:18:08 AM EDT
Top Top