Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2018 3:49:50 PM EDT
My department is getting ready to buy some new nozzles. This will be part of overall larger order. Right now we run a combo of TFT and Akron.

However since this is part of a larger order the make/model will probably need to consistent across the board. We are looking for something around the 60-175 Gpm range that also conserves water as much as possible. We already use class A & B foam on 98% of our calls in order to cut down on water usage. Hydrants are few and far between in some places and we are not at the luxury of drowning the fire. Budget wise we are looking at staying under $1.5k per a nozzle. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Elkhart Selectomatic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
My department uses Elkhart also.  Had great service with them.  Replaced our Akrons which were ok, just getting old.

We tested Task Force and had some issues.  Found out that due to the sliding valve, interior FF's could have a really nice stream, but not be flowing a great enough GPM for control of the fire.  Just about got some guys burned during the testing phase.  Decided that was a safety issue we didn't want.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Elkhart Selectomatic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Elkhart Selectomatic.
Fancy. That might fit the bill thanks.

Quoted:
My department uses Elkhart also.  Had great service with them.  Replaced our Akrons which were ok, just getting old.

We tested Task Force and had some issues.  Found out that due to the sliding valve, interior FF's could have a really nice stream, but not be flowing a great enough GPM for control of the fire.  Just about got some guys burned during the testing phase.  Decided that was a safety issue we didn't want.
Most of our equipment is either passed down from bigger departments or was bought new several years ago. They all work fine but this is a rare opportunity for us. TFT seems ok but doesn't do anything that a cheaper nozzle couldn't already do.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Fancy. That might fit the bill thanks.

Most of our equipment is either passed down from bigger departments or was bought new several years ago. They all work fine but this is a rare opportunity for us. TFT seems ok but doesn't do anything that a cheaper nozzle couldn't already do.
View Quote
TFT (when they first came out) in my part of the world were nicknamed Tinker Toy Tips.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
TFT has a great advertising and marketing department and people that come up with fancy ideas that aren’t needed and make the nozzle impractical from the experience I’ve had with them.

We have the Elkhart Fire Chief 50psi/150gpm on our 1.75” and 50/250 on our 2.5”, 15/16” snoothbore on our high rise packs.

I’ll always take a fixed gallonage over an automatic as another poster pointed out, automatics give you a great stream but you’ll have no idea what you’re flowing,. A fixed gallonage will have stream degradation letting you know there’s a problem somewhere.  The pump operator can over or under pump you a little if you want to change your flows, not a fan of adjustable flow nozzles as I’ve seen them get accidentally moved to a different setting and neither the nozzleman or Engineer were aware.

He new Fire Chief XD are a little nicer and the fog is a 50/160 to match with a 7/8” smoothbore which will do the same flow at that pressure making it nice on your Engineer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
TFT has a great advertising and marketing department and people that come up with fancy ideas that aren’t needed and make the nozzle impractical from the experience I’ve had with them.

We have the Elkhart Fire Chief 50psi/150gpm on our 1.75” and 50/250 on our 2.5”, 15/16” snoothbore on our high rise packs.

I’ll always take a fixed gallonage over an automatic as another poster pointed out, automatics give you a great stream but you’ll have no idea what you’re flowing,. A fixed gallonage will have stream degradation letting you know there’s a problem somewhere.  The pump operator can over or under pump you a little if you want to change your flows, not a fan of adjustable flow nozzles as I’ve seen them get accidentally moved to a different setting and neither the nozzleman or Engineer were aware.

He new Fire Chief XD are a little nicer and the fog is a 50/160 to match with a 7/8” smoothbore which will do the same flow at that pressure making it nice on your Engineer.
View Quote
Had that happen several times on our TFTs. Sometimes it due to the Engineer changing pressure other's it's because someone changed it and left it. it's a PINTA. Also depends on whose driving the truck on that given day. We have one guy that thinks pumping 300+ psi is gonna make the fire go out quicker. Personally trying to handle that much pressure wears me out quick especially when it's 100 degrees outside before you even make an interior attack.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Just here to echo the above sentiment on fixed flow nozzles.  We run Elkhart 150/75 with a 15/16 smoothbore, 1-3/16 smoothbore on 2.5” and 15/16 on high rise packs.

I would not buy a nozzle based on conserving water.  When you really need it, you need it immediately.  It’s more about gallons per second.  If it’s a BS outside fire or brush fire just don’t open the bale all the way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just here to echo the above sentiment on fixed flow nozzles.  We run Elkhart 150/75 with a 15/16 smoothbore, 1-3/16 smoothbore on 2.5” and 15/16 on high rise packs.

I would not buy a nozzle based on conserving water.  When you really need it, you need it immediately.  It’s more about gallons per second.  If it’s a BS outside fire or brush fire just don’t open the bale all the way.
View Quote
Plus a short duration but high flow stream could end up saving lots of water (and therefore water damage) by extinguishing the fire quicker.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Plus a short duration but high flow stream could end up saving lots of water (and therefore water damage) by extinguishing the fire quicker.
View Quote
Precisely.  It’s either a tank water fire, or you’re gonna need it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Honestly i'm just the one doing a little of the leg work. Chiefs said they wanted something the could conserve water better but honestly with what we use and how we use it i don't it being that big of a deal. We don't need some high dollar jazz. TFT and Akron work for what we need but like i said we want to go in a new direction. We use quite a bit of foam whether it's a structure fire or wildland fire we break the foam out. I took the opportunity to take a gander at the Teex vendor show since i'm local.  A rep there showed us a bunch of different nozzles from Elkhart and Akron but he was really trying to spin us on a nozzle from Leader. Not too sure about them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
We also use the Elkhart FC 200/50. I really like the 200gpms personally. People really underestimate the amount of fire you can put out with a little amount of water with proper application. But every so often 200gpms come in handy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:03:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for the Elkhart Chief line.

And there is A LOT of options on the Chief line of nozzles.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
We have recently upgraded all* of our front line nozzles to the Elkhart XD series.  We do have some non nozzle TFT appliances but I heard recently that TFT said their main nozzle purchases are "for novelty" if that tells you anything.

Forgot to add:

*Each engine has a commemorative nozzle on their skid load that will not be changed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top