Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/11/2018 1:33:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2018 1:34:32 PM EDT by RUSSIANCATKILLA]
So I just finished going through all of the Company Officer trainings 2 weeks ago. One of the instructors was a Batt Chief with a relatively large department . On his computer he had a training file that had multiple sub folders of topics with different trainings. On my small department the officers usually make the trainings before we do them but we've been having problems with some not being.... "well put together"(?) or being very repetitive. Obviously this leads to problems as you can imagine. I've got some trainings from my neighboring department but it's still very minimal.

I've looked on Firehouse but not finding what I'm looking for I guess. Looked for water rescue last year and found one training on it. Maybe my search fu is off, idk.

My questions are:
Do you just acquire such a large "folder" of trainings from 30years on a dept?
Do any of you share trainings? Like send the file to another dept/person.

ETA: I'm talking about the classroom part of trainings, power points, how to lay out the training, and the such.

Taking any advice
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:19:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RUSSIANCATKILLA:
So I just finished going through all of the Company Officer trainings 2 weeks ago. One of the instructors was a Batt Chief with a relatively large department . On his computer he had a training file that had multiple sub folders of topics with different trainings. On my small department the officers usually make the trainings before we do them but we've been having problems with some not being.... "well put together"(?) or being very repetitive. Obviously this leads to problems as you can imagine. I've got some trainings from my neighboring department but it's still very minimal.

I've looked on Firehouse but not finding what I'm looking for I guess. Looked for water rescue last year and found one training on it. Maybe my search fu is off, idk.

My questions are:
Do you just acquire such a large "folder" of trainings from 30years on a dept?
Do any of you share trainings? Like send the file to another dept/person.

ETA: I'm talking about the classroom part of trainings, power points, how to lay out the training, and the such.

Taking any advice
Thanks
View Quote
Probably the easiest way is to google "name of what you are looking for . ppt". This will give you PowerPoints and slide shares on the topic. It works for any file extension, so searching .doc may prove beneficial as well.

I would caution against trying to cover material that you are not comfortable with, guys tend to see right through it which can lead to credibility issues. Not saying you fit into that category, just that I've seen "experts" exposed as frauds over simple questions.

I would recommend taking a flash drive with you to any classes/training you attend, most instructors are willing to share. Develop contacts, attending state level courses and the national fire academy, or join your state's instructor organization and you should be able to find help with anything you need.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:25:36 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Breedy:

Probably the easiest way is to google "name of what you are looking for . ppt". This will give you PowerPoints and slide shares on the topic. It works for any file extension, so searching .doc may prove beneficial as well.

I would caution against trying to cover material that you are not comfortable with, guys tend to see right through it which can lead to credibility issues. Not saying you fit into that category, just that I've seen "experts" exposed as frauds over simple questions.

I would recommend taking a flash drive with you to any classes/training you attend, most instructors are willing to share. Develop contacts, attending state level courses and the national fire academy, or join your state's instructor organization and you should be able to find help with anything you need.
View Quote
Completely agree with the covering "appropriate level of training" issue. Not really looking for expert level training or anything like that. Like we don't do Hazmat cleanup (have a dedicated team that handles that type of incident) so We're not going to be doing an advanced hazmat training. We've been skinning the cat using ways 1-4, just looking for ways 5-8 if that makes sense.

I thought about it on the drive home that I should have had a USB with me

Been going to state courses, haven't made it to any national fire acedemy classes yet. Should look into the instructors organization stuff. Been putting off getting Instructor 1 because I've been doing my CO 1&2 classes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:44:51 PM EDT
odd that you took CO's before instructor 1...but oh well

training scenarios should be developed to the deficiencies of your guys and the priority of your calls. I can pull training iterations from the manuals, youtube, experience, or other departments. We run our shift training on tues/wed/thurs and it rotates between 4 different specialties during the month. One week will be blue, next red, green, etc etc, each color corresponding with a class of exercise.

Fire/RtR/Ventilation/Water supply
Water rescue/Rope
Medical/BLS/Hemorrhage
Hazmat/Extrication/building construction

Once you determine the class, you determine what you want to do, your objectives and that will define your time limits....not the other way around. Each one of my guys has a specialty, this allows training classes to be evenly spread and allow for everyone to take part in bringing something to the table.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:22:04 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By staringback05:
odd that you took CO's before instructor 1...but oh well

training scenarios should be developed to the deficiencies of your guys and the priority of your calls. I can pull training iterations from the manuals, youtube, experience, or other departments. We run our shift training on tues/wed/thurs and it rotates between 4 different specialties during the month. One week will be blue, next red, green, etc etc, each color corresponding with a class of exercise.

Fire/RtR/Ventilation/Water supply
Water rescue/Rope
Medical/BLS/Hemorrhage
Hazmat/Extrication/building construction

Once you determine the class, you determine what you want to do, your objectives and that will define your time limits....not the other way around. Each one of my guys has a specialty, this allows training classes to be evenly spread and allow for everyone to take part in bringing something to the table.
View Quote
Small dept, no one qualified for Lt so it was interviewed for. I got it with the agreement that CO1&2 would be completed as soon as possible. In MI you’re not required to be Instructor 1 to be CO1&2 although that’s changing soon I guess.

There’s been a lot of complaints of “to much YouTube” and I agree. I think YouTube can be a powerful training tool but it needs to be used correctly and not be the whole training.

I’d like to do more than one training a month be we have hard enough time getting everyone to show up for that (Sun morning or Mom night)
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:16:27 PM EDT
YouTube is a great spring board for conversation and debate, but watching a video on an new extraction technique without physical doing it, is slightly above worthless IMHO.

I would check and see if Michigan has a "state weekend" @ The National Fire Academy. I think runs a around $200 bucks here in Ohio, but that covers travel, room, class and most of your food.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:16:09 PM EDT
I have a small (size not capacity) usb drive on my key ring full of FD training, USAR, and the like. As other posters have said most instructors are great about giving you power points and what not. Going to FDIC, Fire Rescue East, or any similar conference would be a great way to build a training folder too. Look in your area for guys that do training on the side and believe it or not go on FaceBook, there are a ton of reputable sources there and I’ve gotten a ton of information through them.
Link Posted: Today 12:45:54 AM EDT
I know unions suck and all that and don't know if you are a union department but there's this.

http://client.prod.iaff.org/#page=EducationAndHumanRelations
Top Top