Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2003 12:19:44 PM EDT
Very recently there was a campaign to attract parents to bring their children to a booth set up in my neighborhood to be fingerprinted.  I am assuming that the implied intention behind these programs is that if the child is ever abducted...they might be traced by any fingerprints they leave behind.

I have no children, so it isn't truly an issue for me personally.  However...I was wondering what members of this board think.  Has such a program ever been instrumental in retrieving a child?  A few alarms get set off in my head that this isnt a good idea...along the lines of Big-Brotheresque concerns.  I dont want to give the impression that I am in the tin-foil hat crowd...but my gut is telling me that this is not a good thing.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I voted "good" but with the following caveat.

The parents keep all fingerprint cards.

If the child is abducted, the parents can then give the fingerprint records to the proper authorities.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted bad, but do agree that it's a good idea for the PARENTS to have physical samples of their kids, be they DNA, photos, fingerprints or dental records.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If the child is abducted, the parents can then give the fingerprint records to the proper authorities.

View Quote

Just what I was going to say!  One other thing is that, perhaps, the card should be given to the child upon some birthday that you think makes the card "not your business" anymore.
cgj
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

What he said. No downside. I heard that Hospitals don't even fingerprint anymore because of DNA though.

I'll add that (edit-[b]RECENT[/b])photo's are probably the most important thing you can have around for an emergency. That will be most helpful in the beginning. When it gets to the fingerprint-DNA stage, it may be too late.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
No.

Yes parents should keep a set of finger prints (foot prints for toddlers) BUT-you can do that yourself, you don't need these police stands to do it, and you don't need cops or your kids school to keep them. You keep it with the kids birth certificates and such.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
OK...I guess I get the idiot award of the day.

Of course...let the parents keep the prints...why the hell not?

Ok...but this does raise the question...

Typically, in such programs...DO the parents get the prints, or do the authorities try to keep them?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
In most of these "fingerprint the kids" campaigns, including the ones we run, the cards go to the parents after completion. That is different, of course, from when we catch sweet little Johnny breaking into cars. THOSE fingerprint cards go to the state, and are kept on file.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it is a good thing. It will help condition these future adults to more easily accept a National ID card, cashless society and internal travel passports. This is very similar to how classic conservatives devolved into neo-cons who accept and promote "reasonable gun control" and all other sorts of things that would have been thought of unconstitutional 15 years ago. We must peacefully come to terms that the Republic is lost and the U.S., along with the rest of the planet, is moving onto a New World Order.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it is a good thing. It will help condition these future adults to more easily accept a National ID card, cashless society and internal travel passports. This is very similar to how classic conservatives devolved into neo-cons who accept and promote "reasonable gun control" and all other sorts of things that would have been thought of unconstitutional 15 years ago. We must peacefully come to terms that the Republic is lost and the U.S., along with the rest of the planet, is moving onto a New World Order.
View Quote

Absolutely.
And fingerprints just aren't enough anymore.  You should take your children in and get the biochip implanted in their brains (but make sure that only you have the code to unlock the info contained on the chip).

Oh Dear Lord...help me.  
I seem to have picked up a bad case of Imbrogliosis.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Does KY allow concealed carry?  In Texas, the person teaching the CHL course fingerprints the person seeking the permit.  If it's similar there, I'd get a CHL instructor to fingerprint my kid and get the card(s) from him.

TS
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Helping out:

If you neo-cons and commies want to fingerprint your kids so badly, go to the goddamn office supply store, buy an ink pad and do it yourself! I used to put my dog's paw prints on christmas cards and I didn't have to go to some stupid fingerprint booth to get it done! SHIT!

Please remember my assistance when baseless and hateful accusations are leveled at me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
When I went to get my CCW, my daughter came to the police station with me.  It just naturally evolved into her getting printed also (she was seven years old at the time).  I don't know what the cop thought, he was cool with it though, and I kept the sheet.
I think it's like taking photographs every so often as they grow up.  Nobody wants anything bad to happen but if it does you have some sort of identifying stuff.  Like dental records.

I just had a horrible shiver run down my spine. eeeeuwww, bad, bad, bad.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
One program I am not opposed to is the ident-a-kid program.   This is a company that a school PTA will call in and if you are interested, they will fingerprint your child directly onto a small ID card with the picture and physical description on the front and then  laminate it.  No info is kept on file (at least a few years ago anyway).
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I was fingerprinted with a similar program when I was a child. My mom still has the prints
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
You CAN'T find or track a kidnapped child via their fingerprints.  The only thing fingerprints are good for, like DNA, are ID'ing dead bodies.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I was fingerprinted, in a boy scout thingy, the cops took it, and appear to still have it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top