Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/30/2003 5:09:47 PM EDT
You guys who live in free states where fingerprints are required for CCW or for full-auto, what happens to your fingerprints after they are checked either at the state or federal level? Are they destroyed afterwards or kept on file forever somewhere. I wonder if these can be used legally by the criminal justice system against you if your prints are found at a crime scene?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:32:31 PM EDT
In VA you have a choice of either having them destroyed or returned to you. According to the LEO who fingerprinted me, they cannot legally keep them on file.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:38:38 PM EDT
You had better assume that if you were EVER fingerprinted for anything, even as a kid in school for whatever, that they are in some government database--FOREVER.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:38:42 PM EDT
What's the rule in Arizona ?? I'm going to get mine and thats a good question. If they take them to run a check, then you should get them back when you're cleared.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:43:59 PM EDT
I am pretty sure that ours go to the state level, where they are kept on file forever. The dozens of fingerprint cards I did from the military went to federal level files for military rcords or security clearances, and are cross-linked with the FBI's database. The state level cards I did for my Peace Officer license and commissioning as a Peace Officer also go to the state level and are on file and are cross-linked witht he same databases as the criminal ones. Anyone being jailed for an offense with a possible punishment of jail time (and not just fine-only offense like Public Intoxication) is supposed to have a print card taken and the card is maintained at the state level and linked with criminal history records. Crimanl History records usually contain a Fingerprint Classification, a series of codes that tell a latent examiner what the characteristics of a fingerprint are without actually having a comparison print.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:52:37 PM EDT
Our CCW finger prints are done on that computer scanner machine that is most likely tied into a fed system somewhere....
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:31:05 PM EDT
Top Top