Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 9:58:13 AM EDT
I had a credit monitoring account with Experian, my score was moving up well, got to an impressive 839.  My income is good, so I decided to make an offer on a new house.  When I went to the bank and did the pre-qual, my Experian score came up at 800.  WTH?  How can Experian tell me I have an 839 and tell the bank I have an 800?  I dropped my Experian account last night I was so POd. They pulled all 3 bureaus on a hard hit, one was around 790 and the other 812, so I had a lower and higher score that gave me confidence the 800 is right.  Any explanation?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
scores are weighted differently for different types of loans.  the raw FICO will be slightly different from one weighted for auto loans or one weighted for a mortgage
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
scores are weighted differently for different types of loans.  the raw FICO will be slightly different from one weighted for auto loans or one weighted for a mortgage
View Quote

This. Those credit monitoring numbers don't mean anything.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The score they report to a lender is not the same one they report to you.  Experian has a proprietary scoring system that goes up to 900.  That is where your 839 came from.

The gold standard that all three major agencies report to banks is called the FICO (for Fair Isaac COrporation, the keepers of the forumula.)  The maximum FICO score is 850.

An 800 FICO score is good enough to put you at the top of the heap as a borrower.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't worry about it, as 800 is in the top tier.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#5]
There are about 19 different fico scoring models that could be used by different lending institutions.  It's impossible to know which one they use before they pull your credit.  With that said, your rate should be the same with an 800 score as with the 839.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess I had no clue.  The loan officer said my rate would be good.  So Experian is just making money off you with a credit mnitoring service and their scores are worthless to me.  I'll consider this another free finance lesson courtesy of GD.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

So OP is tier 1?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So OP is tier 1?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So OP is tier 1?

Only if he has driveway scars.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Most credit cards will give you your FICO score for free on your statement each month.  I know i get it on my discover card, chase freedom card and barclays card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top