Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2001 4:31:59 PM EDT
On thursday I went and made the final payment on my first AR.
I grew up shooting but until recently (about a year) I REALLY started getting back into it. Own 2 AK's (SAR1, SAR2), and decided it was time I saw what this whole "AR thing" was all about.
So anyway, I got a Colt 6700 (20", 1 in 9), flatop. I haven't shot it yet because I've been researching the proper way to break a barrel break-in, but the finish and cosmetic appearance of the rifle is superb. I've heard the Colt quality control had slipped recently but I see no evidence of this (friends have earlier production Colts, as well as Bushmasters). How can I find out exactly when my rifle was manufactured?
Can't wait to get to the range to start my (hopefully)"long lasting relationship" with the AR.
I asked a few questions a few days/weeks ago concerning my recent purchase and wanted to thank you guys for the valuable input. It was appreciated.
On a side note, there is a bit of a trial/test on AK47.net with my rifle (the test-subject), regarding to prove whether or not AR's are "jamm-o-matics" or not. Going to post the results there following the conclusion of the test. Yes, I will be using brass and quality USGI mags (Sanchez - manufacturer)
Again, thanks.
Mind if I stick around awhile?

Link Posted: 3/3/2001 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell if they let me in they will let anybody in.
Yuengling and Bleenies forever !
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
By all means stay as long as you want.  Visit and post often...you'll learn alot just like I did.  Let us know the results of your tests and if you don't mind let us know what you did, conditions during shooting, what ammo and mags you used and everything else related to that.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
AKs are good guns and LOTS of fun. But, I predict that with some high-quality glass and your favorite handloads, that Colt is going to be your pride & joy! [:D]
I LOVE THE WAY MINE SHOOTS! It's the most accurate rifle I own!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Stick around lad,

you will like it here.

I too have a MT6700 20" 1/9 & LOVE IT.

Keep us informed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You are waiting to pop the cherry on you new rifle? You are much more patient than I am. Most times, I have that thing on paper before the ink is dry on my yellow BATF forms. [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
coal-cracker, I went the opposite route. I have two AR's and recently purchased a SAR2. I absolutely love my AK and I now know why so many people speak highly of their reliability. So few parts and so easy to disassemble and clean.

I think that you're going to love your new Colt, I've been incredibly happy with mine. Hope to see you over at AK-47.net (if they ever get the server back up [:(]

Mike
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Coal-Cracker,
If your Colt has a chrome-lined barrel there's no need to clean it between shots to break it in,just shoot it, the more you shoot it the shiner the bore will get, that is, the bullets will finish polishing out the barrel,so just go shoot about 3-400 rounds through it and it'll be broke in just fine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats Coal-cracker,  And welcome.  You have to be careful now as they tell me around here that AR's multiply.....Mine hasn't so far,(I think it has something to do with my wife) But it may soon.....[;)]  I won't comment on breaking in the barrel.  I'm what you might call an area marksman, the rifle(Bushmaster AKshorty) shoots much better than I can and a 1/4 inch at 100yds doesn't make a big difference to me.  

Warlock
Link Posted: 3/5/2001 4:47:09 AM EDT
[#9]
You did good.  Now get some good quality ammo and out to the range ASAP!  Don't get those cheap ammos and get disapointed. Check on the ammo forum for guidance. Have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top