Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/18/2004 4:02:02 PM EST
Finally got around to attending a CCW class today. The instructor was a 19-year veteran State Trooper and did a good job of teaching the class. Half the class used revolvers, the other half used autos. A lot of emphasis was placed on safe-handling of handguns, and being sure of target before shooting. The instructor's favorite carry weapon is a vintage Argentine M1911. (I don't know how old it really is, but the gun looked brand new.)

Some of the things I learned:
-fuck wounding someone; if you feel your life is in danger empty the magazine
-Florida has one of the best CCW permits as far as reciprocity with other states goes
-unless you are in your home or place of business, you have a duty to retreat
-draw your sidearm as a last resort
-recent changes to SC concealed-carry law: you can carry in a church or hospital now with written authority of responsible officials from church or hospital, and you can carry while at rest stops

I used my SIG P226 9mm and shot 50 for 50, which sounds impressive until you realize all you have to do is put the rounds in the black silhouette.

All in all, a very pleasant way to spend a saturday!

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:06:01 PM EST
Pick up a copy of "The Concealed Handgun Manual" by Chris Bird.
Most important rule for carrying....CONFLICT AVOIDANCE!!!

Also, if you havent already tagged the site...... www.packing.org is a great place for CCW specific info.

Welcome to the world of CCW....stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:40:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 4:41:24 PM EST by viper5194]
Oh and remember, you never shoot to kill, you shoot to stop the aggression... That statement was hammered into everyone who took the class with me. Unfortunetly in Ohio they say you still have a duty to retreat even if your in your own house WTF????? Cop told me if there is someone in my house, unless they are attacking, or showing aggression, all I can do is ask them to leave. Im like ya right, i guess my 95 lb black lab will be the solution to that equasion.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:56:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 8:58:24 PM EST by Powergen]
My instructor here in TX recommended yelling "don't hurt me" before dumping the mag firing until the threat was gone in order to make it clear to everyone in earshot that you're shooting in self defense. I don't know if I'd have the presence of mind to do that in a crisis situation but can see where it could be valuable from a legal standpoint.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:01:18 PM EST
For my class & qualification I got to use a .22 target pistol!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:08:37 PM EST
not a good idea IMHO.

taking a CCW class and using any thing other then your carry piece is a bad idea.

people should qualify and show proficency with their carry piece and nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:16:00 PM EST
For all of you guys who WANT TO GET A CCW, get off of your collective asses & go do it!!!! What in the world are you guys waiting for, another attack by Osama??? Don't drag your feet, get up from this site & do a search on line for a local place to get your permit. My son & I both got ours from the Community College down the street & got a credit for the course to boot!!!

NOW MOVE IT OUT!!!

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:59:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sumo2000:
For my class & qualification I got to use a .22 target pistol!

You can't use a .22 or .32 to qualify here. Not quite sure why, but it may have somthing to do with those calibers not having sufficient stopping power.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:12:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 3:13:40 AM EST by entrefal]
Here in NC I had to fill out a card with the type, model and manufacturer of the weapon used during testing.
Now I just need to get some time off from work and $90 to go apply for the permit.
Top Top