Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 11:36:09 AM EST
GB,

I've noticed on the new site that sometimes when clicking the last page of a thread, it pops up a blank page (no comments), and in the drop-down jump-to-page box it says "1 of n" rather than 15 of n, etc.

There is an off-by-one error in your calculation generating the thread-list display. The bug only manifests itself when the total # of posts is a multiple of 25. I think you see where I'm going with this. I'm sure you can find it.

Thanks
James
(If you havent witnessed this bug, set up a test thread and give 25 or 50 replies and you'll see that you'll have a phantom 2nd or 3rd page, respectively)
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:25:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 12:25:53 PM EST by rkbar15]
GB, that is the same issue I e-mailed you about with the screen shots. At the time you thought it was a posting bug that was corrupting the DB when the site was first brought up. I have seen it several times on new threads in the last few days. It appears to be in the post count calculation routine that is writing a new page with no posts in it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:11:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 6:13:16 PM EST by jblachly]

Originally Posted By rkbar15:
GB, that is the same issue I e-mailed you about with the screen shots. At the time you thought it was a posting bug that was corrupting the DB when the site was first brought up. I have seen it several times on new threads in the last few days. It appears to be in the post count calculation routine that is writing a new page with no posts in it.

Actually based on the symptoms I suspect the problem code is an off-by-1 error in the code that renders the list of threads itself, and nowhere else.

edit: that is, the first part of your sentence (...to be in the post count calculation routine...) is correct, but it is not writing a new page with no posts in it -- that page exists, no matter what. for example, try visiting the page you're reading right now but change the end of hte url to page=37 for example. The page renders blank simply as an error-handling routine. The actual error is in the code that renders the list of topics
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:26:03 PM EST
I've seen this bug as well...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:08:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/12/2004 3:39:29 PM EST by rkbar15]
GB, I sent you a new screen shot of a current thread with the page problem. There are currently only two pages in the thread. The post count was 50.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=243217&page=3

And this is why I drive a BMW......
( Page: 2 3 )

KUpolo 50 1009 5/12/2004 7:33:01 PM by KUpolo
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:13:25 PM EST
Top Top