Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 7:10:02 AM EDT
It took me long enough too!    I've been looking and reading and researching for over a year and a half.  Took the MSF course a year ago, and I finally had the money and found a good deal on a bike that I wanted.

So now I'm the proud owner of a 1991 Suzuki GS500E that's in pretty darn good condition.  The engine and transmission run great, It's had new fuel hoses installed within the last year, and the tires and brakes are in good shape.  It even came with a Clymer service manual.

It just has a couple of electrical bugs with the headlight and brake light that I need to iron out.  Otherwise, she's ready to roll!

Now I need insurance and a tag, then I can start tooling around my subdivision until I get more practice.

Sorry.  I'm a little excited.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Good helmet, good gloves, good boots, and good defensive skills. Enjoy.   Stay safe
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Good choice for a starter bike. Please be safe and always look ahead...far ahead. Never ride directly behind a car and always be thinking about what MAY or COULD happen.
Ride safe.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Good helmet, good gloves, good boots, and good defensive skills. Enjoy.   Stay safe

Check, check, and check.  Bought them when I took my MSF class.  Now I need armored pants and an armored jacket.  A long-sleeved sweater, a windbreaker, and jeans were good enough for the MSF class, but I want something better for street riding.

Hopefully, my general paranoia will help with the defensive skills until the experience develops.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the fraternity.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Outstanding, Private Admiral_Crunch!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Good for you. Nice starter bike too.  http://www.dragginjeans.com/ http://www.newenough.com/product_department_closeouts.htm
http://www.motostrano.com/  http://motorcycleleatherexchange.com/  
Some useful links for motorcycle gear. A heavy leather or armored leather jacket is practically a neccessity. Leather pants are going to give you the best protection. Have fun, I know you will. Keep the rubber side down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Great choice,  think of that bike as a rental.  It's going to be cheaper to own that bike than it would be to fix the plastics on a newer crotch rocket.

I got a 91 ex500 with a new helmet and 8K on the clock,  for $1800.  Rode it for 15K miles, then turned around and sold it for $1,500.  Talk about a steal.  $300 (plus 2 sets of tires, maintenence, etc) to "rent" my starter bike, then I moved up to my SV650S that I still have.  It's got 10K and in perfect shape.

You made a real SMART decision.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice choice....Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#10]
great bike! simple engine to work on too. i had an 82 suzuki 450 (same motor)

riding an 03 honda night hawk right now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
basketballboards.net/forum/images/smilies/ttiwwop.gif

How rude of me!  

It's got some rust on the exhaust pipes, and it could use a little touching up cosmetically, but mechanically, it's 100%.  It was originally red, but the owner before the one I bought it from painted it black.  The decals that are supposed to be on the side panels are either gone, or they got painted over.

I left my subdivision for the first time today, and I had a blast.  The wind at 55 mph is impressive to say the least!  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Good job
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't forget the big life insurance policy...and a living will.

Bikes aren't particularly dangerous, but the many car drivers who won't notice you ARE.

CJ

Coming from a man who sleeps with a hooker.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice bike.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally someone who doesn't sound like a bike is an extention of his wee-wee. How refreshing.
Buy "Proficient Motorcycling" (one and two)..practice panic stops, look where you are going , not where you don't want to go.
Take the Experienced Motorcycle Course (you don't have to be experienced).
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How rude of me!  

www2.newnanutilities.org/~ewhitley1/postpics/gs500.jpg
www2.newnanutilities.org/~ewhitley1/postpics/gs500a.jpg

Is this a good "starter" bike?

Looks like you got a good deal. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Finally someone who doesn't sound like a bike is an extention of his wee-wee. How refreshing.

lol.  Just wanted to expand my experiences, and to have fun and save a little gas money doing it.   Not really looking to impress anyone.  

(Although I did have to grin when a kid on a bicycle said "Nice motorcycle!" at a stop sign.  )

Quoted:
Buy "Proficient Motorcycling" (one and two)..practice panic stops, look where you are going , not where you don't want to go.
Take the Experienced Motorcycle Course (you don't have to be experienced).
Good Luck.

My local library has both books, fortunately.  I've read PM1, but I still need to read PM2.

It's amazing how well the "look where you want to go" trick works.  I was a little shaky going around cul-de-sacs until I paid more attention to where my head was pointing.  That fixed it right up.  I also noticed they were actually easier to handle in second gear than first.

I do plan on taking the ERC, but it'll have to wait until my finances have recovered from buying the bike and gear.  I still remember most of the BRC, though.  I'm still doing FINE-C in my head whenever I start her up.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is this a good "starter" bike?

Looks like you got a good deal. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

I'd say it's the perfect starter bike for me, at least, and a great one for most anybody.  I fit on it well, it's not too powerful, it's cheap on insurance, and it doesn't have much expensive plastic to replace if I drop it.  I can putter around the neighborhood very easily, but if I need to climb a hill, it doesn't complain when I give it the gas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'd say it's the perfect starter bike for me, at least, and a great one for most anybody.  I fit on it well, it's not too powerful, it's cheap on insurance, and it doesn't have much expensive plastic to replace if I drop it.  I can putter around the neighborhood very easily, but if I need to climb a hill, it doesn't complain when I give it the gas.

So are you just learning how to ride, or have you ridden motorcycles for a long time?

I'd love to pick up a little putter one day down the road... I used to be pretty anti-motorcyle but for some reason I swtiched gears as soon as I started seeing cycles I wouldn't mind owning...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#24]
My new starter bike.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So are you just learning how to ride, or have you ridden motorcycles for a long time?

I'd love to pick up a little putter one day down the road... I used to be pretty anti-motorcyle but for some reason I swtiched gears as soon as I started seeing cycles I wouldn't mind owning...

Just learning.  

I took the MSF Beginner Ridercourse last October (HIGHLY recommended!), and I had a great time.  That was the first time I'd ever ridden a motorcycle, and I learned a lot.

This is my first bike, and I'm loving every minute of it.  Depending on your height and leg length, it's a great choice for a first bike.  Keep it under 55 horsepower, under 400 lbs or so dry weight, and make sure your feet reach the ground, and it's hard to go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#26]
A can of BBQ black will make that exhaust look like new again with a little sanding and elbow grease..
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Good choice. My first bike was a Honda CB 450 about a million years ago. I like the tank bag. Make sure the straps aren't wearing the paint off the tank. i'm looking into my crystal ball as we speak...................................I see you on an inline 4 sportbike in about 1 year, 750 or bigger.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#28]
nice thread (with a few exceptions...)

just got my first bike almost a month ago, a 1985 honda nighthawk 450.  thing needed a lot of work done to it.  all the rideability issues are now sorted, just gotta deuglify.  whoever had the damn thing before me painted it purple

i've put about 200 miles on it now.  the only thing i really feel sketchy on is turning left at a T intersection.  it's hard to accelerate at a decent speed for whatever reason- i guess it's just a practice thing, i've got a whole nieghborhood to practice that in.  it's been fun so far- i can only imagine what it will be like when things warm up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i'm looking into my crystal ball as we speak...................................I see you on an inline 4 sportbike in about 1 year, 750 or bigger.

I think your crystal ball over-estimated my budget (not to mention my back).  

Actually, I've had my eye on the V-Strom....  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top