Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2003 10:25:24 PM EDT
I think I've posted it here that I've been unemployed since 8/18/00.  I was getting bad and [b][u]untrue[/u][/b] references from someone who was not my supervisor at anytime.  I just, well two months ago, found out who it was.  I had my lawyer send the person and the person's boss a nice letter.  Anyway, I do a cursory job search for Spanish teachers in my area and find two schools advertising a need for one.  I get an appointment with the principal of the school where I would be teaching.  He seems a very no-nonsense guy, very down to earth and very much in command, which is very much lacking in schools today.  What I saw at that school looks like how school was when I was in school.  Well, he looks at my paperwork and asks me about loyalty.  I ask him what he means and he asks if he recommends me for the job to the school board and I tell him I'll take the job, will I still take it if someone else offers me a job.  I tell him of course, I'm a man of my word.  He called me this morning and asks me to come down and talk.  I do, he shows me where my room will be,  etc.  He gives me a copy of the salary schedule and I don't even look at it as I'm so elated about getting the job.  I get home and call everyone and tell them I got the job, pending school board action.  Then I sit down and look at the salary schedule. I do another job search in my area and discover that the pay is $3000 to $12,000 less than what I'd be making at other districts.  The pay schedule has the state logo on it, not that of the school district.  It is the minimum salary permitted under state law.  I call the school business office hoping that they gave me the wrong sheet.  They didn't.  If things are as they appear, I will love the job at that school even with lower pay.  If not, well.....  

TS

Did I give enough information?  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck man.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You may be a man of your word, but I bet your "word" never told him how long you'd work there.  I'd stick the job out for a year of so, get back in the swing of things, and then look at making some more bank.  Who know's, you might decide that you like the place and the kids, and it's not worth the $$ to transfer somewhere else.  

Either way, Good Luck.  It's good to know that there are still level headed teachers out there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF?

You havent had a fucking job in 2 years and you are worried about $3,000?

Sounds like you should be THANKFUL that you have a job.  Having a 2 year gap in your resume doesn't exactly scream "HIRE ME, I AM DA MAN"

And don't give me shit about how hard it is to find a job.  I have a 4 year Managment Info degree and no expierence.  I found a job, it pays me better than what I would make with my degree, and I don't really work.  What wonderful job could that be?  I sell cars [8D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
WTF?

You havent had a fucking job in 2 years and you are worried about $3,000?

Sounds like you should be THANKFUL that you have a job.  Having a 2 year gap in your resume doesn't exactly scream "HIRE ME, I AM DA MAN"

And don't give me shit about how hard it is to find a job.  I have a 4 year Managment Info degree and no expierence.  I found a job, it pays me better than what I would make with my degree, and I don't really work.  What wonderful job could that be?  I sell cars [8D]
View Quote

I understand about the two years, believe me.  If your prospective employers were being told what mine were, you'd be unemployed too.  A certified Spanish teacher in Texas is about as easy to find as cheap ammo for an STG-44.  I'm not bitching.  Like I said I'm elated to be employed again.  The school seems like a great place to work.  And the principal is one of the [b][u]very few[/b][/u] who has any sense.  The curriculum will be [b][u]MY[/b][/u] curriculum. He told me he doesn't care about them doing B.S. work out of the text book, he wants them to be able to use it.  Money wise, I guess I should have done a better search before promising to take the job.  But like I said, I'm a man of my word.

TS

TS
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I found most instuctors in my Marine Corps were in it for personal satifaction, not personal pay.

Ever seen the movie where the guy in downtown LA sends kids to college and every year his class gets bigger.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Be happy you have a job.  If there is a big supply of Spanish teachers out there, then don't expect to make the big bucks.  Suck it up, do a good job, and eventually you will get paid what you are worth.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Where did you do your salary search?  What is the average pay.  In my area starting teachers make between 30 and 40k to start and top out from 50-70k depending upon the district.  Of course now thanks to pencil neck Davis a lot of teachers are being laid off.  

Luckily no layoffs at my school but no raises this year either.  No matter how many people get laid off in my area of special ed I'm pretty much guaranteed work for life if I could take it that long. [BD]

Oh yeah, hey you did good, you got a job.  Do it for a year and then check things out again.  And working for a good principal is worth 3K a year in headaches in my book.  Congrats man. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Try it for a year, see how ya like it.  That way you at least have some form of income and you keep your word.  No two ways about it.  After that year, then you decide where to go from there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where did you do your salary search?  What is the average pay.  In my area starting teachers make between 30 and 40k to start and top out from 50-70k depending upon the district.  Of course now thanks to pencil neck Davis a lot of teachers are being laid off.  

Luckily no layoffs at my school but no raises this year either.  No matter how many people get laid off in my area of special ed I'm pretty much guaranteed work for life if I could take it that long. [BD]

Oh yeah, hey you did good, you got a job.  Do it for a year and then check things out again.  And working for a good principal is worth 3K a year in headaches in my book.  Congrats man. [:)]
View Quote

Well, in Texas there are like 12 or 16 "Regions".  I looked up the website for my region.  Two schools had three openings posted for Spanish Teachers.  The one I got hired by was the first one I saw and the first one where I applied.  There is a teacher's job bank in Texas.  Today, after realizing the pay was really low I stumbled on that job bank and found a few schools is my location that were paying [u]at least[/u] $3000 more than state minimum.  Here are some excerpts :[red]With no experience:[red] $35,000 plus a $2000 signing bonus,[/red][blue] The beginning teacher salary for 2003- 04 is $35,800[/blue]*

TS

My pay is $25,940 with 3 (three) years of experience.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Be happy you have a job. [u] If there is a big supply of Spanish teachers out there, then don't expect to make the big bucks.[/u]  Suck it up, do a good job, and eventually you will get paid what you are worth.
View Quote

I guess my STG-44 ammo analogy was not a good one.  There is a big [b]shortage[/b] of Spanish Teachers in Texas.

TS
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Try it for a year, see how ya like it.  That way you at least have some form of income and you keep your word.  No two ways about it.  After that year, then you decide where to go from there.
View Quote

That is my intention.  I just hope the job is want it appears to be.  

TS

I just wanted to get some other opinions about my decision.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, in Texas there are like 12 or 16 "Regions".  I looked up the website for my region.  Two schools had three openings posted for Spanish Teachers.  The one I got hired by was the first one I saw and the first one where I applied.  There is a teacher's job bank in Texas.  Today, after realizing the pay was really low I stumbled on that job bank and found a few schools is my location that were paying [u]at least[/u] $3000 more than state minimum.  Here are some excerpts :[red]With no experience:[red] $35,000 plus a $2000 signing bonus,[/red][blue] The beginning teacher salary for 2003-04 is $35,800[/blue]*

TS

My pay is $25,940 with 3 (three) years of experience.
View Quote

Man, I was just about to congratulate you, but now I'm getting greedy, thinkin' about the $$$ and getting a little 'grass is greener' syndrome. [banghead]

IF you stick with your first decision, congratulations(!) and enjoy the rewarding experience that is teaching (and the fact that you've got a j-o-b)!

[bird in the hand syndrome]BUT, are the other positions still available to you? Are you able to interview for them & possibly back out of the original deal?[/bird in the hand syndrome]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[bird in the hand syndrome]BUT, are the other positions still available to you? Are you able to interview for them & possibly back out of the original deal?[/bird in the hand syndrome]
View Quote

Yes, they are and I could, but I'm going to keep true to my word and hope it's as good a school as it seems.  Hell, it may be worth not being paid $10,000 more.

TS
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Call him and ASK him why he is low balling you on the money. He may not be able to pay anymore. If his answer is cool. Pay him back by working for him and doing a outstanding job. Then start looking again if the grass is still greener. Take it, work it and then ask for more money down the road or get another job.

If his answer is bulshit then you dont owe him. Tell him no and then finds another job.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#15]
No, [b]TigerStripe[/b], you did exactly what you should have done!

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to get a job WHEN YOU HAVE A JOB, but how it's almost impossible to get a job when you don't?

So, get the job first, give it a year, and if you wish, then apply for another job!

BTW, I [u]understood[/u] your STG-44 ammo analogy! [:D]

Eric The(Obtuse)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Take the job and run.  You can make up some of the difference doing summertime work right?  If worse comes to worse get a part-time job to supplement.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Print out those excerpts and show them to him. Explain that you're a man of your word, but also a man of principle. He cannot, in good faith, expect you to work for less than starting salary for someone with no experience, especially after you gave your word to him.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Well there are some schools where I'm sure that you wouldn't want to work for any amount of money. Perhaps thats the case where they pay more for you to teach the gang bangers. Is there a probation period? Pay raise after the probation period?  IMHO, they never pay teachers enough, esp. in the South. But, hey after two years I think you did good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm going to stick with the school that hired me.  The other schools may be the schools where no one wants to teach.  As I said in my first post, it will be [b]my[/b] curriculum.  Also the largest class I will have will be around 25 kids, with some being four to six.  The main reason for the grass is greener syndrome will be weapons purchases will be less than I would like.

ubaddog- pay in (Texas) schools is a set amount for a teacher of any subject with x amount of years experience at that school district.  He's not low balling me.
ETH- I pretty much knew that you'd get the STG-44 analogy.  I am going to do what I said I was.  $25,940 is $25,940 more than I've made in two plus years.

TS
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Be happy you have a job.  If there is a big supply of Spanish teachers out there, then don't expect to make the big bucks.  Suck it up, do a good job, and eventually you will get paid what you are worth.
View Quote

Ditto what he said.

Also use it as a stepping stone to get your foot in the door somewhere else? Or at least buy some more guns!!

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Congratulations and, as usual, ETH has some sage advice: It's easier to find a job when you've already got one. It sounds, though, that the environment you'll be in will be very suitable to you. If it pans out that way, the salary will follow. If not, your skills are portable, and you'll be "in the system" so to speak, and able to put feelers out if you want to make a move.

It must be tough for a Spanish teacher in Texas to find a job, what with that pesky Peggy Hill always substituting for everyone.
[img]http://www.deeplake.com/koth/pic3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Good work on finding the job, and no, you did not 'f' up...

Look at it this way; Atleast you have a job now. Also, theres nothing wrong with transferring to another school between semesters, that pay more money.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Congrats on your job and keeping your "loyalty Card"

I do, however, like the idea of talking to the boss about 'why?'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top