Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2016 11:08:50 PM EDT
I'm finally buying a house after my separation a couple of years back. I'm pretty much starting all over and want to buy some decent pots, pans, cookingware etc.

I really want to buy copper cookingware, but, man, that stuff is expensive! I think I may have to hold off on these for awhile.

So, what do you guys recommend that is of good quality and will not break the bank.

As for knives, I already ordered a couple of Vicotorinox knives: 8" chef, 7" Santoku, 4" pairing, 10" bread knife.

I'm looking forward to getting my house in order, it's been a tough journey, but the time has finally come.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Great prices!! Thanks, brother!
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#3]
All clad has factory sales twice a year. Next I one is next weekend if you can get to Pittsburgh. :)

Point is, you can get factory seconds for a great price. Everything I've bought there was perfect except for a blemish on the finish..., Which stainless cookware will be blemished after first use anyway..

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#4]
lol
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a couple clad stainless steel pots from Amazon and then add to that.  I find there are only two small pots and a couple stock pots that I use for everything.  Cladding helps prevent burn when making chili or pasta sauce.  I bought an expensive 'set' with credit card points.  I only use two pots from the set.

I use a coated skillet only for eggs, and use several cast iron skillets for hash browns, bacon, sautes, roux,  etc.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I won a huge set of All-Clad Copper Core about 15 years ago and like them very much. They do everything pretty well and are hanging in there really well, though they are no longer cosmetically perfect. The truth is, however, that I have reached the point in my cooking "career," in which I really prefer to have the absolute best pan for every "job." Stainless clad pots are not the best pan for every job.

If I was spending my own money, I would go with a mix of several sizes of cast-iron dutch ovens, a few cast-iron skillets, a few carbon-steel skillets, one teflon-lined skillet, and a few stainless sauce pans and stock pots. I'd choose each for a specific "job," such as searing, sautéing, reducing acidy access, etc.

That is what I recommend that you do.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy all clad one piece at a time if you cant buy at once. Bed Bath and beyond has 20% off coupons.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
You are better off buying pieces of what you need not the set.

If you are close to Memphis, William Sonoma has an outlet store. You can get some killer deals on Al Clad.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I can help you out here for sure. A few questions though..What kind of cooktop do you have? If you don't know yet than that makes a big difference also.  What kind of stuff do you typically cook and for how many people? What sort of price range are you looking at? You say cooper so it sounds like you are serious and do some real cooking. I own some copper myself. Do you want something to use and forget or are you willing to have some maintenance? Are looks important or is function more important? You can have a pot that's just as effective but not as pretty. The difference is cost so what's more important.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
allclad, buy once cry once. and don't get nonstick, just get straight stainless, once you learn to cook on it you'll never look back for damn near everything. the only thing I use a nonstick pan for anymore is crepes and omelettes. throw in a cast iron skillet and an enameled dutch oven and you're ready to roll in the stovetop cookware department.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#11]
If you don't want to break the bank, this Cook's Standard set is what you need, at 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of an All Clad set.  You will probably use all the pieces in the set unless you just boil eggs.  Mother in law approved, and she is all about food and cooking.  Stainless, no teflon; don't have to worry about scratching the surface; relatively easy to clean given the lack of non-stick coating; still look excellent after a couple of years of use; can be cleaned easily with Bar Keeper's Friend if soap is not enough; induction capable (just in case you get one later).  It is unlikely you would want to upgrade these, unless you want to impress someone with a premier name or finish later.  RTFM!

Having a $15 Lodge Logic cast iron pan is useful too for high heat cooking, unless you have a smooth glass cooktop.  In which case you need an enameled cast iron pan, for a little more money.  Will last a lifetime.  Definitely read care and seasoning directions for cast iron.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#12]
if you're not willing to throw down the cash for allclad tramontina makes a stainless set which is almost as good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CALPHALON
View Quote

We've been using Calphalon pots/pans for 6+ years now and they look almost new. We use them nearly every day. Also have a set of Calphalon kitchen knives and they are pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We've been using Calphalon pots/pans for 6+ years now and they look almost new. We use them nearly every day. Also have a set of Calphalon kitchen knives and they are pretty good.
View Quote

Ill probably end up with Calphalon.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Skip the Suzy Homemaker grade crap and buy commercial gear. It's usually cheaper and lasts forever. 

Look for Vollrath and/or Vulcan. 

Commercial cookware (smallwares)
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:38:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ill probably end up with Calphalon.
View Quote

For non-stick, Analon is worth a look as well. Don't care for the handles on Calphalon myself.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Skip the Suzy Homemaker grade crap and buy commercial gear. It's usually cheaper and lasts forever. 

Look for Vollrath and/or Vulcan. 

Commercial cookware (smallwares)
View Quote

How is this stuff CHEAPER and BETTER?? What's the catch? Man, there's some nice stuff at that site.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How is this stuff CHEAPER and BETTER?? What's the catch? Man, there's some nice stuff at that site.
View Quote
It's cheaper because you aren't buying a bunch of pieces you'll never use like you do with boxed sets. You only buy what you'll use. Big fry pan, little frypan. Big black iron skillet, little black iron skillet. Big saucepan, little sauce pan. 600 pan, 600 - 1/2 pan, 600 -1/8 pans. A couple of baking sheets, (full & 1/2 size), a wisk, a spatula, a thermometer...and your done. Forever. 

The 'better' stems from the fact that the stuff is built like a tank with commercial grade non-stick coating, riveted on handles, etc. You'd have to make a real effort to wreck it. Not so much with Suzy Homemaker grade stuff. 

I've got smallwares that I've been using for 30-odd years and it still keeps on keeping on.

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

because you're paying the usual consumer grade markup when you buy "home" cookware.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the information, gents. I will definitely go with the commercial grade stuff.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll second Vollrath Wear-Ever, especially for daily, hard-use stuff.

My wife went to culinary school and has been in the restaurant business for 15 years. We've got a full set of All-Clad, a good number of cast iron, and scores of specialty pans whose purpose I could only guess, and the Vollrath pans get used more than anything else. Take a peek into the kitchen of your favorite restaurant, and you'll see scads of 'em.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Trmontina Tri-Ply at Wal-Mart.  Cooks Country recommended.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Buy all clad one piece at a time if you cant buy at once. Bed Bath and beyond has 20% off coupons.
View Quote

This...all clad or Calphalon.  One at a time if needed. 
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#24]
What I end up actually using - on a gas stove.
Stainless clad pots - bunch of sizes. Get one that is as big as your stove can light if you make stock etc..
Stainless bowls - big nest with lots of sizes & lots of little ones.
Cast iron fry pan (kind of must have if you cook steaks inside ever, steep sides, not great for tossing)
Carbon steel saute pan (same care as cast iron, little bit lighter, smoother, curved or low sides for tossing or flipping)
Stainless clad pans - only rarely used for delicate things or acidic stuff.

No coated stuff, I'd rather take care of a steel pan.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#25]

All-Clad.

10 years in, could not be happier.

per above, they can be had at a discount -- you have to snipe the pieces you want when opportunities arise.
also... keep an eye on craigslist etc, as folks get divorced etc they will part with all-but-unused cookware.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I highly recommend trying a carbon steel fry pan.  I used cast iron for years and was always thinking I was doing something wrong.  Tried out a carbon steel pan and it was everything I was always hoping cast iron would be.

You care for them in exactly the same way only to me the carbon steel is lighter, more non-stick, and easier to maintain.

Carbon Steel Fry Pan
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the additional information, gents. As for the copper cookware, I was talking about REAL copper stuff, but, man, that stuff is really pricey and, now, I know that there are much better options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top