Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 11:21:51 AM EDT
While Vito is AWOL I'll keep you updated...

Fuel suppliers have said they are struggling to cope with a week's demand in just one day.

They called for calm as demand at the pumps across the UK increased amid fears of blockades at refineries and resultant shortages reminiscent of the 2000 fuel crisis.

Despite official reassurances, petrol stations across the country have been running out of fuel, with long queues developing where fuel is still on sale.

But the UK Petroleum Industry Association (UKPIA), which represents suppliers such as Shell, BP, Esso and Total, said there was no need for motorists to panic.

Chris Hunt, UKPIA's director general, said tankers delivering fuel to the forecourts had been increased by 10 to 15 per cent.

He said: "We have had a week's worth of demand in one day. I believe folks are still queuing up, but there is absolutely no need to do so.

"There is absolutely no problem with fuel supply. It's merely an issue of getting the tankers to the filling stations."

He said that following predictions of a shortage in the national media, it had become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As for threats of possible blockages at refineries, he said he was "not unduly worried".

He said the UKPIA was liaising with police and the Department for Trade and Industry to limit any protest actions later this week.

David Eglington, spokesman for Esso, said deliveries of fuel to forecourts around the UK were going on as usual.

He said: "We would ask customers to continue purchasing as normal."

Total UK said in a statement: "As a result of media speculation, we have been experiencing higher than normal purchasing levels in some areas, and are now faced with limited product availability at a small number of service stations.

"Our logistics teams are working hard to ensure that any disruption and inconvenience to our customers is kept to a minimum.

"We would like to assure our customers there are currently no problems with the supply of fuel from either our refineries or terminals.

"In the event of fuel protests in the coming days, we are closely monitoring this situation and are working closely with the DTI on contingency plans in the event of protests."

Link

Cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the natives are getting restless. Were you one of the ones who filled up?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds like there's an actual shortage instead of simply high prices.  What caused that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What happened to all those rigs in the North Sea?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Double the price. That'll take the starch out of 'em.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It sounds like there's an actual shortage instead of simply high prices.  What caused that?

There's a shortage here because everyone went out to buy petrol in a painic.
My local village petrol station is OUT of petrol. His next normal delivery should be Thursday but that might be tricky too.

My tank is full but I do have a jerry can full for just such occasions. My wife and I can keep driving to a minimum if we need to so we'll manage for a few weeks at least.

We have laws preventing us hoarding petrol but I don't know the limits.

If there are strikes it could get nasty if they are prolonged

Taffy

No petrol = No trucks = No food

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top