Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 8:27:49 AM EDT
Source: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=512169&posted=1#post512169

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunn...ania_davi.html

Quote:

ZUMBOMANIA: David E. Petzal’s take on the Jim Zumbo fiasco
In case you just emerged from a coma and have not heard, the shooting world is agog over a blog posted by Jim Zumbo, former contributing editor at Outdoor Life, over the weekend of February 17. In it, Jim stated that any semiauto rifle with an AR or AK prefix was a terrorist rifle, had no place in hunting, and should be outlawed for that purpose. Then, courtesy of the Internet and all its blogs and chatrooms, the roof fell in.

The speed with which Zumbomania spread, the number of comments it drew, and the rabid nature of same were a revelation. Overnight, this thing became as big as Janet Jackson’s clothing failure or—dare I say it?—Britney Spears’ shaved head. Jim Zumbo is now as employable as the Unabomber, and Sarah Brady will no doubt adopt his comments to her own gun-control purposes.

For the last several days I’ve been visiting all manner of blogs and chatrooms, which has reminded me of when I used to deliver used clothing to the local mental hospital. I’ve tried to make some sense of it all, but because the waters are still full of blood and body parts continue to rain from the sky, I haven’t come up with any Great Truths. Lacking that, here are some Lesser Truths.

What Jim said was ill-considered. He’s entitled to his beliefs, but when a writer of his stature comes out against black guns, it sure as hell does not help our cause.

Even so, Jim made an immediate apology. He did not equivocate, or qualify, or make excuses. He acted like a gentleman and said he was wrong, and he was sorry. Apparently this is not enough anymore. We now live in the era of one strike and you're out.

For 40 years, Jim has been a spokesman and ambassador of good will for hunting. Through his tireless efforts as a teacher and lecturer on hunting and hunting skills, he has done more for the sport than any 250 of the yahoos who called for his blood.

Jim has paid dearly for what he said. He has lost his blog and his association with Remington. Cabela’s has suspended its sponsorship of his TV show; and Outdoor Life has accepted his offer to sever ties. To all the chatroom heroes who made him unemployable, I have a word of warning: You’ve been swinging a two-edged sword. A United States in which someone can be ruined for voicing an unpopular opinion is a dangerous place. Today it was Jim’s turn. Tomorrow it may be yours.

If Sarah Brady is smart—and she is very smart—she will comb through the same blogs and chatrooms I’ve been reading, excerpt some of the most vicious and foul-mouthed entries, print them up, and distribute them to Congress. Then it will be interesting to see how the men and women who wrote that stuff enjoy seeing their efforts being put to use by every anti-gunner in America.

Stay tuned.

What an idiot. He just called Jim Zumbo's comments "an unpopular opinion". WHAT AN IDIOT! Jim Zumbo didn't make an unpopular opinion, he sold out every single one of us. And this moron wants to threaten us that if we aren't careful, we might end up getting tossed out if we make "an unpopular opninion too".

God I hope if I ever make such a stupid claim and I am serious (keep in mind I poke fun at my own pink rifle for entertainment), I would hope you guys would make Ten Percent Firearms a flaming crater. Well don't really blow up my shop, but at least make sure I never did a lick of gun business again, ever.

David Petzal, congratulations. You just became the next Jim Zumbro. NEVER, EVER THREATEN ME WITH THE SAME FATE OF JIM ZUMBRO IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR OWN BUTT! Jim Zumbro will be held accountable for his actions and your defending him by claiming we might be next will be held accountable too.

There are enough smart writers out there that I have zero problems throwing these morons under the bus. United we stand, divided we fall.

Here is the Field and Stream contacts, I am giving them one week and then I am canceling my subscription.

Quote:

We want to hear from you!

Send us your questions, comments or suggestions. Below are links to the e-mail addresses for departments Field & Stream Online and Field & Stream magazine. (Please do not send attachments.)
>> To send letters to the Editors of Field & Stream Online, e-mail [email protected]

>> To send letters to the Editors of Field & Stream Magazine, e-mail [email protected]

>> To report technical problems with Field & Stream Online, email [email protected]

>> To advertise on Field & Stream Online, email [email protected]

>> To contact our Media Relations Department, email [email protected]

>> To advertise in Field & Stream Magazine, e-mail one of the following addresses below that is closest to you:

New York - [email protected]
California - [email protected]
Illinois - [email protected]

To manage your subscription or report issues, visit www.fieldandstream.com/customerservice

If you are still have trouble finding what you're looking for, please email us at [email protected] .

****Here is what I just sent Field and Stream.

I guess David Petzal doesn't understand what is going on here.

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunn...ania_davi.html

Of particular interest I quote him,
"Jim has paid dearly for what he said. He has lost his blog and his association with Remington. Cabela’s has suspended its sponsorship of his TV show; and Outdoor Life has accepted his offer to sever ties. To all the chatroom heroes who made him unemployable, I have a word of warning: You’ve been swinging a two-edged sword. A United States in which someone can be ruined for voicing an unpopular opinion is a dangerous place. Today it was Jim’s turn. Tomorrow it may be yours."

Jim Zumbo did not make an "unpopular opinion". Jim Zumbo betrayed the shooting community and called my rifles "terrorist weapons". He further called for the government to ban them from hunting. Advocating a gun ban is not an "unpopular opinion".

I don't think David understands what capitalist America is about. I am a gun store owner. My personal opinions will affect my business. As Smith and Wesson learned, you cannot separate your business from politics. Jim Zumbo learned that too. My customers would justifiably destroy my business if I made such comments and I applaud them for it.

Make no mistake about it, if a gun writer, business owners, or gun executive voices an "unpopular opinion" that goes against the grain of our very being, we will utilize the economic fabric of this nation and we will make sure they will never have the money to express that opinion again. Not because we are tyrants, not because we are fascists, but because we are freedom loving Americans who are passionate about our beliefs. We will not support the ignorance spewed by the anti-gun leftists of this country.

David Petzal just threatened me. He said if we hold our own accountable, we might be next. No David, you are next. You just don't get it, but you soon will.

If David Petzal is still writing for you on March 1st, I will cancel my subscription to Field and Stream. Then I will start notifying your sponsors that we don't support enemies of the Second Amendment and as long as they support an organization that supports David Petzal, they won't receive my support either.

You can call this a witch hunt if you wish. Maybe it is. Maybe it is time to take these people who think they can write their elitist columns and have a negative effect on our gun rights and burn them out of the industry. I just want to make it clear that as sure as Jim Zumbo or David Petzal have a 1st Amendment right to say what they want, I have the right to spend my money where I want. I will not be spending it to support a division of our rights.

Thank you for your time.

Wes Morris
Ten Percent Firearms
1277 Kern St.
Taft, CA 93268
Phone: 661 765-6899
Fax: 661 765-9355
[email protected]
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Noted.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Dupe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top