Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/18/2007 9:44:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2007 9:46:09 AM EDT by Luckdog]
I hope this is not a repost, but I have not seen it posted.
First off, I consider Field & Stream to now be a elist, rich yuppie magazine, and the only reason I have a subscription is that it came free with a shirt I paid $8 for at a discount store.
That being said, on about page 4 of the May 2007 issue is an "editor's note" by David E. Petzel entitled "A Letter From Fuddville".
I do not want to post the entire article in case of copyright issues, but in the article Mr. Petzel states that he deplores the trashing of Jim Zumbo and that this "only" gave ammunition to the gun control lobby.
He goes on to state that, "The whole mess brought to light a highly vocal subculture of black-rifle entusiasts who not only don't hunt but are contemptuous of those "Fudds" who do. Yes, as God is my judge, we have a whole segment of gun owners and shooters deriding peoble because they hunt."
Later in the article Mr. Petzel states that, "A lot of Fudds are not happy with what happened to Zumbo, nor are they fans of black rifles, nor are happy with the bellicose attitude of some people who own them."
Basicially he says that inspite of these bad black rifle people, the Fudds will defend the black rifle owners second amendment rights in the up-coming antigun bills because they will come after the black rifles first.
I agree that all gun owners need to fight these battles united but we can not tolerate Zumbo behavior in the ranks.
Am I wrong, I lived through the last gun ban fight, did not the Sportsmen throw us to the wolves to protect their guns?

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:47:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2007 9:50:21 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:47:59 AM EDT
Post the whole article.

This guy needs his ass fired.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:49:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AJE:
Post the whole article.

Zumbo HIS ass!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:49:44 AM EDT
I guess it depends. There many hunter who are EBR(evil black rifle) owners, but the straight hunters are at best blase about EBRs, and some who are hostile toward the EBRs. But most straight hunter won't support the EBRs so what have we lost? As a matter of fact some of those fudd f'ckers actuall told me that support the ban on EBRs!. $hit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:55:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Luckdog:
Basicially he says that inspite of these bad black rifle people, the Fudds will defend the black rifle owners second amendment rights in the up-coming antigun bills because they will come after the black rifles first.

*SNARF*

Yeah right
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:57:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AGW:

*SNARF*

Yeah right

Exactly... thats pretty much the opposite of how it works from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:58:20 AM EDT
How about that. Myself, my family and everyone I know are a "subculture"
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:01:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2007 10:08:59 AM EDT by SouthHoof]
Petzel is a shithead.

He has it exactly ass backwards.

"Basicially he says that inspite of these bad black rifle people, the Fudds will defend the black rifle owners second amendment rights"

Zumbo vilified black rifle owners, there wasn't ANYTHING in what he first wrote indicating he was willing to defend the second amendment.

Hey Petzel....he he he he I'll be vewy vewy qwiet while you hunt wabbits.

Here's your suprize buttseks candidate duo right here

Do you suppose they are members in good standing of the Mutual Reach Around Club?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:02:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2007 10:05:24 AM EDT by Da_Bunny]
Funny that they should complain about our attitudes, the backstabbers.

So, they have a problem with the guns, huh? They're gonna HATE the automatic range-finding scopes and thermal sights.

Better leave the woods, then...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:03:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:

What a homo (with apologies to actual homos).

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:07:09 AM EDT
I read it at the barber shop. I didn't think it was very caustic but it was Fudd slanted as I expected. It wasn't worth getting excited over, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2007 2:26:43 PM EDT by Luckdog]
Field & Stream May 2007

Editor's Notes by David E. Petzal

A Letter From Fuddville

I recently learned that I was a Fudd, as in Elmer Fudd, the cartoon character who wears a silly hat, chases Bugs Bunny with cries of "You wascally wabbit!" and is perpetually humiliated by the cafty cottontail to the delight of 10-year-olds everywhere. This information came via my fieldandstream.com blog, "The Gun Nut". For anyone who missed it, on February 17, longtime outdoor writer Jim Zumbo did a piece on his Outdoor Life blog about black rifles-AKs and ARs. He expressed two basic opinions- that black rifles are "terrorist" weapons, and that they should be outlawed for hunting.
Zumbo has since recanted, and rightly so. Black rifles are shot at the NRA championships at Camp Pery, and at varmints, and in sand pits for the hell of it. A well-set-up black rifle is as precise a gun as any bolt action. Black rifles are now a permanent and legitimate part of the shooting scene.
Within hours of Zumbo's post, thousands of enraged black-rifle owners bombarded his employers and sponsors- Outdoor Life, Cabela's, the NRA, and Remington- with demands that he be gone, which he now is. The speed and savagery of the assault were unparalleled; OL alone received more than 6,000 emails.
I wrote two entries on my blog (fieldandstream.com/zumbo), deploring the trashing of Zumbo as a major blunder that could only work to the advantage of the gun-control lobby. I was right. The Washington Post, the New York Times and even Comedy Central's Colbert Report have gotten hold of it, and everyone connected to the story has been made to look bad.
The whole mess bought to light a highly vocal subculture of black-rifle enthusiasts who not only don't hunt but are contemptuous of those "Fudds" that do. Yes, as God is my judge, we have a whole segment of gun owners and shooters deriding people because they hunt. Fudds like me supposedly look down on semiauto and military rifles. Along with accusing me of Fuddhood, my critics said I was old (true) and out of touch (also true) and that I didn't get it (probably true, since to paraphrase former President Bubba, I don't know what the meaning of "it" is). I was also told that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting. True, but that hasn't stopped us from defending it since the day it came under attack.
Now let's talk about what's coming. We have a Democratic majority in both houses of Congress and are quite likely to have a Democratic president in 2008. (Rudy Giuliani, the Republican front-runner at the present, is no friend of gun owners.) We have a really horrendous gun bill in the House (H.R. 1022, which would reauthorize the assault weapons ban of 1994 but on a permanent basis, plus much, much more). Right now, it probably won't go anyplace. But as with life, politics comes at you fast.
And that is the point. A lot of Fudds are not happy about what happened to Zumbo, nor are they fans of black rifles, nor are they happy with the bellicose attitude of some of the people who own them. But when the coming siege of anti-gun bills arrives, with a black-rifle ban leading the way, we had best forget our differences. To the many congressmen who do not like any guns, black-rifles are merely the first course of the menu.
Success in politics consists largely of making and keeping allies. Those who don't or can't, are destined to become dog food. That's a little bit of Fuddlore, straight from the Old Fudd himself.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:21:17 PM EDT
I thought that what zumbo said was what would be used as ammo by the gun haters, not what black rifle guys did to zumbo? I think that what was done to zumbo would make the gunhaters wonder about are power. Poor dumb petzal has it bassakwards.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:24:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:27:36 PM EDT
Petzel is a long time fudd, he once had an article basically slamming black rifles and anyone who owned them. I would have posted it but I wasnt that active with ARFCOM at the time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:32:21 PM EDT
I detest petzal

I detest him more than I did zumbo

petzal would be on his knees blowing congressmen if they promised him he could keep his "sporting guns" whil JBTing the rest of us unwashed heathens

he needs one of his 1800 dollar flyrods shoved up his ass to help purge him of what he is full of.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:34:21 PM EDT

"The whole mess brought to light a highly vocal subculture of black-rifle entusiasts who not only don't hunt but are contemptuous of those "Fudds" who do. Yes, as God is my judge, we have a whole segment of gun owners and shooters deriding peoble because they hunt."

BULLSHIT. I have never, never seen or heard of a black-rifle enthusiast who disparaged someone for hunting or disparaged hunting guns. I have seen hunters do so to EBR owners more times than I can count.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:37:48 PM EDT
First off I'm a gun owner, and a hunter.

I have guns to hunt with

I have guns to target shoot with

I have guns to be a range comando, super ninja, door gunner, tacticool blah blah with

Some of my target guns are the same guns I use to hunt with

Some of my tacticool guns are used to hunt with.

But I'm not going to tell another gun owner that they can't have (own) some thing because I don't like it. (like the fudds do)

Hunters are not all fudds
all fudds are hunters

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:53:45 PM EDT
I got into guns through hunting, and I know many Fudds.

Petzal just flat doesn't get it.

Thankfully, Remington and Outdoor Life do.

As was posted elsewhere, Zumbo did us an unintentional favor by allowing us to do a successful 'fire mission'.

Don't forget what we did when we unitedly spoke as a group. We can have a similar effect on things in the future.Things much more important than the career of a writer who pissed us off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:36:37 PM EDT
old news. I love the 24/7 media cycle!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:44:09 PM EDT
Now if zumbo would write a letter to the editor and tell petzal to STFU, he would be elevated by a whole bunch in my eyes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:58:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SouthHoof:
Here's your suprize buttseks candidate duo right here

Do you suppose they are members in good standing of the Mutual Reach Around Club?

Looks more like a poster for Broke Back Stabbers Mountain.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:09:42 PM EDT
David Petzel is a lying sack of shit. Petzel supported and pushed for the 94 AWB it takes gall for him to claim he will defend the black rifle owners second amendment rights.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:21:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheInvisibleSoul:
First off I'm a gun owner, and a hunter.

I have guns to hunt with

I have guns to target shoot with

I have guns to be a range comando, super ninja, door gunner, tacticool blah blah with

Some of my target guns are the same guns I use to hunt with

Some of my tacticool guns are used to hunt with.

ALL OF MY GUNS ARE TO KEEP A TYRANNICAL GOVERNMENT AT BAY....with

But I'm not going to tell another gun owner that they can't have (own) some thing because I don't like it. (like the fudds do)

Hunters are not all fudds
all fudds are hunters

Invisiblesoul

JHill----it's the only thing I saw that was missing from your post...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:24:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Label:

Originally Posted By AJE:
Post the whole article.

Zumbo HIS ass!

Zumbo! Zumbo! Zumbo!

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:30:13 PM EDT
I don't hunt often enough to call myself a hunter...sorry, but I sure don't have a single thing against anyone who does hunt.

Heck, if it wasn't for my grandfather and hunting I probably wouldn't be as into firearms as I am today.

However, what Zumbo did was WRONG and put everyone with a firearm at risk.

The Anti-Second Amendment lobby is going to stop at assault rifles...they want a UK style system with no firearms and that means zero hunting. Find another sport they'll tell ya.

Anyone who is stupid enough to think that tossing black rifles under the bus will save their "hunting rifles" is crazy, stupid, or just plain anti-American and that is a FUDD.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:10:32 AM EDT

Field & Stream May 2007

Editor's Notes by David E. Petzal

A Letter From Fuddville

I recently learned that I was a Fudd, as in Elmer Fudd, the cartoon character who wears a silly hat, chases Bugs Bunny with cries of "You wascally wabbit!" and is perpetually humiliated by the cafty cottontail to the delight of 10-year-olds everywhere. This information came via my fieldandstream.com blog, "The Gun Nut". For anyone who missed it, on February 17, longtime outdoor writer Jim Zumbo did a piece on his Outdoor Life blog about black rifles-AKs and ARs. He expressed two basic opinions- that black rifles are "terrorist" weapons, and that they should be outlawed for hunting.

Zumbo has since recanted, and rightly so. Black rifles are shot at the NRA championships at Camp Pery, and at varmints, and in sand pits for the hell of it. A well-set-up black rifle is as precise a gun as any bolt action. Black rifles are now a permanent and legitimate part of the shooting scene.

Within hours of Zumbo's post, thousands of enraged black-rifle owners bombarded his employers and sponsors- Outdoor Life, Cabela's, the NRA, and Remington- with demands that he be gone, which he now is. The speed and savagery of the assault were unparalleled; OL alone received more than 6,000 emails.

I wrote two entries on my blog (fieldandstream.com/zumbo), deploring the trashing of Zumbo as a major blunder that could only work to the advantage of the gun-control lobby. I was right. The Washington Post, the New York Times and even Comedy Central's Colbert Report have gotten hold of it, and everyone connected to the story has been made to look bad.

The whole mess bought to light a highly vocal subculture of black-rifle enthusiasts who not only don't hunt but are contemptuous of those "Fudds" that do. Yes, as God is my judge, we have a whole segment of gun owners and shooters deriding people because they hunt. Fudds like me supposedly look down on semiauto and military rifles. Along with accusing me of Fuddhood, my critics said I was old (true) and out of touch (also true) and that I didn't get it (probably true, since to paraphrase former President Bubba, I don't know what the meaning of "it" is). I was also told that the Second Amendment isn't about hunting. True, but that hasn't stopped us from defending it since the day it came under attack.

Now let's talk about what's coming. We have a Democratic majority in both houses of Congress and are quite likely to have a Democratic president in 2008. (Rudy Giuliani, the Republican front-runner at the present, is no friend of gun owners.) We have a really horrendous gun bill in the House (H.R. 1022, which would reauthorize the assault weapons ban of 1994 but on a permanent basis, plus much, much more). Right now, it probably won't go anyplace. But as with life, politics comes at you fast.
And that is the point. A lot of Fudds are not happy about what happened to Zumbo, nor are they fans of black rifles, nor are they happy with the bellicose attitude of some of the people who own them. But when the coming siege of anti-gun bills arrives, with a black-rifle ban leading the way, we had best forget our differences. To the many congressmen who do not like any guns, black-rifles are merely the first course of the menu.

Success in politics consists largely of making and keeping allies. Those who don't or can't, are destined to become dog food. That's a little bit of Fuddlore, straight from the Old Fudd himself.

THanks for typing all of that out, luckdog. Mr. Petzal just doesn't get it and feels the need to get his shots in throughout the piece (however subtly).

In the interest of "stirring the pot", I think he purposefully gets the "definition" of FUDD wrong. While there certainly ARE Black Rifle owners who oppose hunting, they are a tiny, tiny fraction of the whole, just as TRUE Fudds are a small part of the traditional hunting cadre.

He fails to state that FUDDs (I hate that label BTW) demonize and degrade any weapon that isn't bolt action and scoped, to the extreme of even sacrificing some "evil looking" weapons to save their own.

He also glosses over the fact that Zumbo, by proxy, called any AR owner a terrorist. Them's fightin' words! We had no option but to rise up together over that.

In the end, I do agree with him that we need to stick together as a community to fight the ANTIs successfully. We just need to clear the air and make sure that we understand each other.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:17:44 AM EDT
Don't the Fudds get it that there are a lot of people who hate "Bambi Killers" out there?

They also don't like "Scoped, High Power Hunting Rifles" that are used by anti abortion rights fanatics to kill Doctors in front of their families and assasinate Presidents.

Buy a vowel.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:25:51 AM EDT
In the past this was called, "Power to the people" TT
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:26:38 AM EDT
As a hunter long before an EBR owner. KISS MY ASS DICKWEED! I DO hunt and just to make you happy, I'm taking my AR with the EOTech as my primary deer rifle this year. One shot, humane kills will follow. Douchebag.
Top Top