Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 6:06:39 PM EDT
Since the "general" forum has become my go-to place for all internet wisdom, I have a question for you guys:

I'll be hanging boards on a corral fence this weekend. I was planning to use my nail gun to drive 3-1/2" ring shank galvanized nails through the 2x6 into 6" round pressure-treated posts. But my local Home Depot and Lowes don't have 3-1/2" ring-shank nails!

So, would I be better off using thinner, 3" galvanized ring-shank nails, or fatter, 3-1/4" smooth galvanized nails?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I would personally use the 3" ring shank nails.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
use what you can find at a price you can live with...add an extra nail...I built a lotta of fence
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the 3"ring shanked nail

Edit for the damn auto correct.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I would personally only use the nails to hold the boards in place so I could follow behind and screw them on with deck screws.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Managed to find some 3 1/4" ring-shank nails, so that's what I went with. Had a couple hit knots or something, so weren't driven all the way. I couldn't pull them back out (just tore the head off), so I think they ought to hold.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Good looking job Op. That happens sometimes with those nails.  Sometimes you can drive them in with a hammer more often than not they just bend.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you going to trim that post?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you going to trim that post?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60489/fence-239284.JPG
View Quote
Yeah, still have to go through with a chain saw and trim all the posts. I sit at a desk and type on a computer for a living, so hanging the boards was all that I could handle in one weekend!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would personally use the 3" ring shank nails.
View Quote
This OP..more then likely the fatter nails will lead to splitting boards..if you do use the fatter nails..blunt the tips first..that way when installed they drive a plug out of the wood instead of wedging the wood...7 years working for a fence company...
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would personally only use the nails to hold the boards in place so I could follow behind and screw them on with deck screws.
View Quote
+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top