Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 3:39:53 PM EDT
Marine loses his leg in Kandahar, fights to stay in the Corps, and is accepted to jump school.  Comes out as the Honor NCO Graduate.

BRAVO ZULU, SEMPER FI!
defendamerica.mil/profiles/dec2003/pr121903a.html
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:42:28 PM EDT
Excellent.

I trust no standards were lowered!

That guy is motivated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:46:46 PM EDT
You trust correctly.  He did it right, and sounds like a guy who wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:53:57 PM EDT
Kind of like "Men of Honor".
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:55:52 PM EDT
[usa]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:01:12 PM EDT
Not the first time this has happened in the Corps.
I read an autobiography about a retired Marine who lost his leg in a jump accident, and did the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:02:34 PM EDT
My kind of guy.

Next thing we're gonna hear about him is when he gets ambushed in the Sand box:

"US Marine beats 9 attackers to death with wooden leg after running out of ammo and busting his bayonet off in one."

That Marine DEFINITLY wins the 'Official Piccolo Condom with a hole in it Award.'

So named because i wouldn't wanna screw with either of em!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:10:08 PM EDT
An Army Golden Knights member Lost both legs on a jump. He stayed on duty and on the team with two prosthetic legs. That was many years ago and he is probably retired by now. A USMC AH-1 Cobra Pilot lost an arm when he was shot down over Grenada. He fought for and won a waiver to stay on active duty. He was assigned as a Range Officer at Camp Lejune IIRC. That also was a long time ago. It happens. It's rare but it happens.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:15:06 PM EDT
I
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:18:13 PM EDT
this is my second post due to my 1 year old being faster on the keyboard than I...

I'm  ex-US army but but either way one saying comes to mind...

THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:40:33 PM EDT
That is fucking squared away.  There are tons of guys with two legs that can't make that school.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:56:01 PM EDT
The Golden Knights member who lost his legs is indeed out of the Army but his 'never say die' attitude is still alive. He was the first amputee to earn his helicopter pilot license. He scuba dives, snow skis, etc. Sierra Hotel.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:01:52 PM EDT

Every time the events unfolding in this country get me down, I consider the untold number of heroes and honorable men and women like this Marine, who make this the greatest nation on earth.

People like him are why the US exists.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:07:45 PM EDT
[USA] I salute you! Your what makes this country the best on earth! [marines]

COZ

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:15:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By piccolo:
My kind of guy.

Next thing we're gonna hear about him is when he gets ambushed in the Sand box:

"US Marine beats 9 attackers to death with wooden leg after running out of ammo and busting his bayonet off in one."

That Marine DEFINITLY wins the 'Official Piccolo Condom with a hole in it Award.'

So named because i wouldn't wanna screw with either of em!
View Quote

ooooooooh-friggen-RAAAAH
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:56:24 PM EDT
R.Lee Ermey, eat your heart out!!!!

This guy has one on you!

Picture this guy as a DI:

(hoisting his pant leg) "See that, Maggot!!!!If you pull that ONE MORE TIME, I'm gonna unhook this leg of mine AND BEAT YOU ABOUT THE HEAD AND SHOUDERS WITH IT!!!!!

That'd get a recruit's attention, REAL FAST!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:10:37 PM EDT
[crisp] SALUTE [/crisp]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:10:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:13:42 PM EDT
Wait, they will allow him to remain in a combat unit with one leg?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:22:07 PM EDT
awesome!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:29:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Blackjack272:
Wait, they will allow him to remain in a combat unit with one leg?
View Quote

Yes. Unlimited duty.

BTW, this guy must be one hell of a Marine.

Think about it! This guy had to get through a major medical review board. I'd bet you that they changed the standards in his case. They probably RAISED them.

In this 'CYA' age, they made damn good and sure that he was MORE than able to serve.

It'd be a whole lot easier for the medical review board to just discharge the guy, and cover their own asses.

Allowing this guy to serve as an unlimited duty marine meant that the Medical review board was letting their ass hang out.

Do you think they'd do that for a guy that was playing games?

Like I said, this guy must be one hell of a Marine.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:55:05 PM EDT
My aunt Julia in Boca Raton, FL did this guy's leg.  She does prosthetics for children and other special situations, and she helped design his jump leg.  She says its a top notch articulated, one of the most expensive the company has ever made.  The Corps not only allowed him into jump school, they told the doctors to spare no expense with his prosthetics.  She was telling me that towards the tail end of his training with the leg they had him running up and down stairs to make sure the articulations were working properly.  He can run on gravel surfaces--she is immensely proud of his leg, says its the wave of the future.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:04:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:06:11 PM EDT
In my humble opinion, I believe that the uniform makes Gods of men.
I am not worthy as I have never served.
Honestly. Dad, can you hear this?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:10:42 PM EDT
Out-fucking-STANDING!

That guy has to be bad to the bone and then some.

In a world where today's youth seem to be getting progressively more pussified with each and every passing day, this does the heart a lot of good to read!

CJ
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:47:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Sukebe:
An Army Golden Knights member Lost both legs on a jump. He stayed on duty and on the team with two prosthetic legs......
View Quote

[url]http://www.army.mil/soldiers/feb95/p42.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:54:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:59:28 AM EDT
OutStanding!Now that's HARDCORE[USA]

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:04:27 AM EDT
Very, very OOHRAH.

For a similar story, check out "[i]One Tough Marine[/i]," by 1st Sgt Donald Hamblen, USMC (Ret.) He was a Recon bubba during Vietnam, and lost his leg parachuting at Camp Pendleton when he was blown into some high voltage lines.

He got a prosthetic, passed his PFT, requalified as a parachutist and served 30 consecutive months running a SOG team doing cross-border ops. He was sent home after he was wounded for the second time because the Division Commander was worried that an amputee Marine getting KIA would be bad PR for the Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:05:10 AM EDT
This Marine redefines the word "tough".
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:16:07 AM EDT
Chesty would be proud.........
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:32:24 AM EDT
Who are you kidding?

Chesty would be AWED.   Pleased as hell, but awed nonetheless.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:39:16 AM EDT
Fred Franks, commander of the US Army Seventh Corps during Gulf War I, lost his foot to a mine or grenade in Vietnam.  He petitioned the Army to let his stay on duty, got a prosthetic, worked his ass out, passed the review board and went on to the rank of General (four stars).

It takes a rare personality to grind on through such a personal tragedy and turn it into personal triumph.

That Marine is one tough hombre.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:15:11 AM EDT
Brought a tear to my eye.  Salute.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:17:30 AM EDT
He is definitely an insparation

[resounding] OOOOOOOOOOORA!! [/resounding]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:37:58 AM EDT
Your Corps!
My Corps!
HARD CORPS!
Marine Corps!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:38:01 AM EDT
"[i]"The first time I even realized he had a prosthetic leg was during one of our PT (physical training) sessions, and he was just smoking these little 18 year olds out there," said Air Force Staff Sgt. Brian Mayer, Special Operations Command Fort Bragg, N.C. "He's an inspiration because you have all these perfectly healthy people who wash out and quit while he stays in and makes it. That's a real testament to his character."[/i]

[^]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:26:08 AM EDT
He's got some serious determination, no doubt about that. Wouldnt want him pissed off at me. He'd still be gunnin for ya years from now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:34:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
USMC--"We're looking for a few good men."

[marines]
View Quote

I would say we've found one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:16:21 AM EDT
A USMC AH-1 Cobra Pilot lost an arm when he was shot down over Grenada. He fought for and won a waiver to stay on active duty. He was assigned as a Range Officer at Camp Lejune IIRC. That also was a long time ago. It happens. It's rare but it happens.
View Quote

You are talking about Col Tim Howard and he is an intel officer.  He is missing an eye, part of an arm and leg.  I went over to Thailand with him for Cobra Gold '94.  Gen Al Gray gave him special dispensation to stay on active duty as long as he wants, but it was a hard fight in the beginning.  He also took all parts of the PFT and scored a first class.

Great American.

Jim
Top Top