Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 5:52:17 PM EDT
Wasn't that the justification given shortly after 9/11?  

A widely under-reported item about the hurricanes was the fact that airport evacuations were a mess because TSA employees didn't show up for work:

From www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12716525.htm:

Lengthy delays also stymied operations at Houston's William P. Hobby Airport, where some people waited four hours to check in.

"They weren't ready for this," said passenger Kevin O'Neal. "They don't have enough people. It's chaotic."

Houston Mayor Bill White blamed the Transportation Security Administration, saying many of its employees failed to show up for work.

Keep this in mind when politicians and talking heads say that the Federal government needs to have a bigger role in disaster response.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I also heard on the radio this morning that the TSA is hiring investigators to check into the screeners' workman's comp cases.

Turns out the TSA has an injury rate four times that of construction workers and seven times that of miners.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I also heard on the radio this morning that the TSA is hiring investigators to check into the screeners' workman's comp cases.

Turns out the TSA has an injury rate four times that of construction workers and seven times that of miners.

Unionized Federal Employees. Nuff' said
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Make them non union and pay them a damned decent wage like $60K per year.   Make them test on a regular basis by having QC folks try to smuggle things past them or just be there to make sure they are customer friendly and doing their jobs.   Those that fail and let things pass through, show up late, not show up, are rude, are inefficient get a chance to fix their problems and if they fail to live up to the standard they are fired.  

If you want professionals you must recruit, train and pay appropriately.   If you want a low wage security guard that's what you get.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
The airport screeners look like 'Nawlins looters in uniform. Since the screeners weren't there, the lines should've moved faster!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]
On the job accident report rate was 4X that of construction workers with 250,000 days lost.

Now, they hire contractors to review the accident claims.

The beast continues to grow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
"You can't proffesionalize until you Federalize."

Tom Dashle said that.

It's amazing how liberals cause so much pain in everyday life.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#8]
IIRC, these goons are Pay Level GS-2. Thats about $10 an hour.
The job sucks , the pay sucks, why should they care. If you stick around Home depo long enough
you can make more than that. Yeah, these folks care about you. With the handcuffing Bargaining
Agreements, and the "Union Entitlement" mindset, I prefer driving over flying.
With FL CCW reciprosity in other states, I get to Manage my own Homeland security
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top