Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 8:29:58 AM EDT
While digging through my mother-in-law's box of old coins I found a Stamp that reads

FEDERAL USE TAX ON MOTOR VEHICLES - $5.00 - this stamp expires June 30 1943 - keep posted on vehicle - Stamp transferable with vehicle- United States Internal Revenue-

I wonder if this preceded the gas tax or if it just for collecting revenue for the war?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe it is some kind of ration stamp.  I have my Moms families ration books from the 40's. I will look and see if there is a gas stamp.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure about the tax stamp.

I have seen a Gas Stamp that Dad had, I remember that the "A" Stamp you could buy 3 Gallons with it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While digging through my mother-in-law's box of old coins I found a Stamp that reads

FEDERAL USE TAX ON MOTOR VEHICLES - $5.00 - this stamp expires June 30 1943 - keep posted on vehicle - Stamp transferable with vehicle- United States Internal Revenue-

I wonder if this preceded the gas tax or if it just for collecting revenue for the war?
View Quote

Looks like the Government enacted that tax on 2/01/42 to help fund the war effort.  It was suspended on 6/30/46.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Clay-More.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top