Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/27/2004 3:02:22 AM EST
Do we have any of these guys on here? Someone posted some flyers for this at the back of our PD the other night and I wanted to know a few things. I guess a guy used to work for my department about 6 years ago and left to do this and now he is an investigator and on the SRT unit. I could handle being a glorified security guard and stand in front of a building if I could work my way up to a 1811 and get on the SRT unit. Any of you guys know anyone?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:33:33 AM EST
Not an 1811 but 0080. Just came over from a protective detail. Now awaiting a date to FLETC.
Trust me you are not a glorified security guard standing in front of a building. So many job opportunites and duties.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:44:18 AM EST
If your interested int he 1811 position, try to apply for it directly. If you don't qualify quite yet, and want to go fed, look into other agencies. I'm not sure what the paygrade is for FPS, but with the USBP and Customs, its now GS11. You can make an easy jump to an 1811 (most are GS12s) with some experience. And you don't have to wait until your an 1811 if your interested in stuff like SRT and other specialized units.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:05:28 AM EST
I was interested too, but I think it's too late for me. I think the age cutoff is 37, I'am only a year away from that and it would probably take more than a year to be processed.

A friend joined customs, I'am not familiar 1811, GS11 and all that stuff, so I'am not sure what his title is. He hated the academy, but loves the work now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:18:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 7:30:09 AM EST by brushdog]

Originally Posted By palmer:
I was interested too, but I think it's too late for me. I think the age cutoff is 37, I'am only a year away from that and it would probably take more than a year to be processed.

A friend joined customs, I'am not familiar 1811, GS11 and all that stuff, so I'am not sure what his title is. He hated the academy, but loves the work now.

If you start the hiring process with USBP before you turn 37, you always call personnel and ask for an age limit waver to complete the process. I believe they were giving them depending on your circumstances.

ETA. 1811 is just the job classification. 1811s are Criminal Investigators, kind of like a detective rank. A lot of agencies' CIs are 1811s.

GS leves are pay grades. USBP and Customs start off as 5s or 7s at the academy then advance to a 9 for a year, then an 11. If you want to be an 1811, (GS12), you have to be an GS11 for at least a year to apply, unless you apply as an outside hire. Preference is given to in-agency applicants (GS11).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:24:54 AM EST
Anyone know where the vacancy announcement is posted for FPS? I thought they were under ICE, but I have not seen any VA's from them at all lately.

Most FPS's aren't doing 'grass growing' details, IIRC. Lots of other more interesting details.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:35:38 AM EST
Glad to hear there is more details then guard duty. I don't think I can apply for the 1811 directly because I only have an associates degree and a little over 2 years in police work. I would go to another fed job but no one else takes you without a bachelors. Whoever asked where to look for job openings you go to www.usajobs.com and search under the series tab and the FPS number is 0083.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:46:00 AM EST
ICE isn't posted on OPM. If they were putting up flyers somewhere else, I was thinking that the VA might be posted somewhere else that we don't know about...

Doc
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:23:42 PM EST
what kind of entry level oppurtunities are there in DHS ?
is TSA a good way to get in and then maybe move some place else ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:00:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By Garand1911:
what kind of entry level oppurtunities are there in DHS ?
is TSA a good way to get in and then maybe move some place else ?

Don't go TSA...they're the red-headed step child of the industry. If you're squared away, you won't fit in. Uniformed Division of the Secret Service is hiring like mad, US Capitol Police is hiring, US Park Police is hiring, and there's a plethera of other agencies where you can go officer or 1811.

OPM will have most, if not all of the postings that are current.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:54:14 AM EST
USA JOBS
Search Jobs then Keyword what it is you're looking for.
Top Top