Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 5:58:02 AM EDT
What would you do if today you were electronically (email) given an FFL license that has an expiration date of February 1, 2006?

I went to the ATF website to do the easy check and here is what it said below:

Federal Firearms License Results

License Number:
1-59-XXX-XX-XX-19913

Expiration Date:
02/01/2006

License Name:
INTERNATIONAL GOLD & SILVER EXCHANGE INC

Trade Name:
GUN DEPOT

Premise Address:
1626 A ALTON RD
MIAMI BCH
FL - 331390000

License Name:
1626 A ALTON RD
MIAMI BCH
FL - 331390000

LOA Issue Date:
01/24/2006

LOA Expiration Date:
07/23/2006

Some things are pretty clear & I understand them, some I don't... Such as,   What does LOA Issue Date mean? And LOA expiration date? Why is this date only six months from the LOA issue date?
FFL's are normally good for one year aren't they, so I don't interpret this as a re-issuance of the FFL license, as the buyer of my weapon is trying to tell me. Can anyone help out on this one?
To me, when something says expiration date, February 1, 2006 that is pretty cut & dry.

Thanks,
M4-CQBR  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to find another FFL, and have him FAX you a VALID license.

Better safe than sorry
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#2]
call them (305) 538-2188 and ask what's up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
call them (305) 538-2188 and ask what's up.

No I don't think so, not on my dime anyway . . . Like I said, when something says expiration date, February 1, 2006 that is pretty cut & dry, and my FFL doesn't own a computer, so all he is gonna see is the expiration date on the license.  None of that other LOA issue date, LOA expiration date from the FFL easy check is on the paper FFL that I have to give to my dealer.

Just wanted to know if anyone knew what that other LOA stuff means, and or, if you would demand an FFL copy with a valid expiration date on it.  
This is what I have already done, and I want to make sure I am doing the right thing, so I am not causing problems for my buyer.

It seems logical to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just wanted to know if anyone knew what that other LOA stuff means, and or, if you would demand an FFL

"LOA" is Letter of Authorization to continue business while the renewal is being processed.  No problem completing the transfer as they are authorized to continue operation for 6 months or until their renewal application is approved.  A copy of the LOA must accompany the 'expired' license if it is a licensee to licensee transaction.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Just pass on it.

Or call the local ATF and ask them directly.
Go talk to your local FFL and see if he'll handle the transaction.

If the local FFL won't touch it, you definitely should'nt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

"LOA" is Letter of Authorization to continue business while the renewal is being processed.  No problem completing the transfer as they are authorized to continue operation for 6 months or until their renewal application is approved.  A copy of the LOA must accompany the 'expired' license if it is a licensee to licensee transaction.

Thats what I understand from my own dealer...
but the LOA was'nt sent from what I gather?

Your sale records would show an invalid date. I would'nt want that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#7]
ATF routinely does not renew licenses in a timely manner.  It's gotten to the point now where there is a box to check on the renewal app. for requesting a LOA even if the renewal app. is sent in early.  My FFL expires in May and I'll be sending in my app. this week.  I don't expect to see the renewed license until maybe Sept..

All that aside, the procedure is to furnish the LOA and a copy of the expired license.  As long as the date on the most recent LOA (I've had to get 2-3 before an actual renewal) is good, it's as good as a valid license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top