Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 8:27:11 AM EDT
(This has nothing to do with children’s safety, and has everything to do with controlling your life…)
http://dont-tread-on.me/strict-standards-on-garage-sales
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw this on Drudge this am.  It puts fines in place for selling hazardous chinese goods such as the lead paint toys and such.  I am thinking that this could also be extended to leaded glass and a plethora of other goods.  Probably a bad idea.  Fines are up to 15 mil.  ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Hey, it's a free country

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Just wait until they decide to tax your yardsale...  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In Nebraska you can have two per year before you need to charge sales tax.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
It is So much easier and cheaper to put the test at the point of production rather than the point of sale, but politicians are full of wishful thinking rather than logic.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And just how exactly does the state decide how much revenue you took in and how much tax you need to pay on your third garage sale? Do you have to open your books to State Tax Auditors?

"Yeah, that old patio chair, it's $3... tax included"

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And just how exactly does the state decide how much revenue you took in and how much tax you need to pay on your third garage sale? Do you have to open your books to State Tax Auditors?

I presume it was written so folks wouldn't have a "yard sale" every week instead of making it a business.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Dupe

There was a big cat fight about it last month.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Hooray, maybe now my grandma can be an evil capitalist along with her grandson, the right wing extremist.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I presume it was written so folks wouldn't have a "yard sale" every week instead of making it a business.

How is it enforced?

Are people required to keep records and reciepts of all materials sold, dates of sales, prices and taxes-collected at their third, fourth or twelfth garage sales?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top