Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 5:19:34 PM EDT
I remember someone mentioning a while back a law requiring seizure of a vehicle found to have concealed compartments (construced for the purpose of concealing dope). Anyone have any idea if it exists and where I may find it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem would be how  could you articulate the compartment was there solely for concealing dope??

If you had one with dope, you would seize it as a conveyance anyways.

I haven't heard of any "blanket" ruling....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The problem would be how  could you articulate the compartment was there solely for concealing dope??

If you had one with dope, you would seize it as a conveyance anyways.

I haven't heard of any "blanket" ruling....

Prior seizures from vehicle.  Please, please don't ask why it wasn't taken the first time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I remember someone mentioning a while back a law requiring seizure of a vehicle found to have concealed compartments (construced for the purpose of concealing dope). Anyone have any idea if it exists and where I may find it?

Vehicle seizures are from a civil court hearing/trial where the vehicle was hauling contraband. The hidden compartments are just evidence, in most cases, that the vehicle was used for hauling dope. I don't think it is a written law where if you have a compartment, you lose your vehicle but more likely from case law where such has been proven. It is more like prima facie evidence where the burden of proof is on the suspect to prove that the compartment was for for drugs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC the federal law is against selling an automobile which contains hidden compartments.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

we have one in IL.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#6]
We do have one in Illinois.  We have found two compartments in the past couple of months, both have been empty though.  Hopefully next time we stop them, they will have the dope.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We do have one in Illinois.  We have found two compartments in the past couple of months, both have been empty though.  Hopefully next time we stop them, they will have the dope.

\

Should have seized the cars when you had them. Who says there's going to be a next time?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

did you photo them and diseminate them to the LE community through official means.   Like the ones we just got on the Fords.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top