Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 5:35:29 PM EDT
What is everyones favorite time in history or the one they find the most fascinating?  I seem like like all history but the times of Colonial America, the Revolutionary War, and the birth of the USA has to be my favorite by far.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I must be consistent, so I say the dark ages.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah, pick one... try that with an AR configuration!

In a pinch I'd have to go with the dark ages too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I've always been fascinated by ancient Greece and Egypt.  It astounds me that we lack the technology today to exactly replicate the construction of the Great Pyramid of Giza.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
As I look around me I see the seeds of history being sown daily.  Complex relationships, questionable allies, political intrigue, wars and rumors of wars, and conspiracies (Yes, there are even some of those out there!).  It reminds me of Yogi Bera saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same", or King Solomon's "There is nothing new under the sun."  

I think the biggest changes in the recorded history have been technological.  Human nature has remained pretty consistant, tribal warfare (whether between tribes, nations, or ethnic cleansing as in the Balkans and Congo) has been with us all along, and we've had the struggle between tyranny and the desire for individual liberty for quite some time.  We romanticize history, as with period reenactors, but the reality is that in most periods life generally sucked for the common man.  

I suppose it then becomes a question of which period's wars, conflicts, intrigue, and technology fascinate you the most?  As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really like the movie "The Last of the Mohicans."  Plus, through that period and the American Revolution so much was happening politically.  From within the Haudenosaunee (Iroqouis League) to the Colonists to the European nations striving for control and influence.  "What a tangles web we weave..."
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#5]
my favorite era is the [size=4][red]California
Gold Rush period 1849 era[/red][/size=4]

early California history and the [size=4][blue]
OLD WEST[/blue][/size=4] since I live in Ca. I
like to know the history of my state and visit
historical sites. [):)]

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
While I've read a lot more about WW II & the Civil War, the French-Indian War is the most appealling.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
the [red][size=4]INDIAN WARS 1840-1890[/red][/size=4] is also very intersting. [8D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
To be consistant, WWII. (As if that should surprise anyone here)
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd have to say WWII also.  It's the period that I've read most about, and I grew up watching Combat and the Rat Patrol.  Growing up on military bases, everyone played soldier.  Probably Pacific Theater though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to have to go wth macho and say the Revolutionary War era. How much they had to go through to gain there freedoms is astounding(sp?), whats more astounding is that today we are so willing to give them up in the name of "security."
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Goosey-

I understand completely what you're saying about people today.  When I look at the sheeple around me I have to wonder how much passion for liberty actually remains in this country.  At least we know ARFCOM remains a pocket of resistance!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The middle ages. Nothing like reading about the plague, not to mention the other huge problems in that erra.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

weird, I would have pegged you for being a big fan of the French age of enlightenment [:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The Boer war, the opening up of South Africa and Rhodesia.  It's interesting.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've always been fascinated by ancient Greece and Egypt.  It astounds me that we lack the technology today to exactly replicate the construction of the Great Pyramid of Giza.
View Quote

I'm with you.  I have been reading books about the pyramids for years and I want to know when and how they were built.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:22:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

weird, I would have pegged you for being a big fan of the French age of enlightenment [:D]
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top