Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2002 2:10:37 PM EDT
Going camping this weekend!!!!!  Any good Recipes....

Just wondering what’s your favorite camp food? I am going camping this weekend, and I want something different other than hotdogs and burgers. [8)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Dinty Moore beef stew and biscuits baked in a Dutch oven.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing beats the ease of a good old foil dinner.  It can be made to suit anyone's taste.  No soot stained pots and pans to scrub.  And when your done you can make a nifty little hat with the left over foil.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Beer! Lot's of Beer
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Pizza. Order a large the day before. You can serve it cold for breakfast or hot for dinner.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually take a look at my SHTF canned goods and rotate the stock.  Then I grab a few of the older ones (not so old that they are bad) and take them camping and mix them all in a big pan over the fire. MMmm, MMMmm good!  The best one I can remember had bean soup, jalapeno chili, chicken noodle soup and tuna fish.  Simply scrumptious![8d]

Oh ya, like code39 said....[beer]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything stewed in a dutch oven.

Beef Stew
Jambalaya or Gumbo
Sauerkraut, potatos and roast pork loin
Roast Chicken and Corn

I also like ribs or steak. Maybe some chops.

Baked potatos wrapped in foil and tossed into the coals are a must.

You can make a quick and dirty reflector oven with large aluminum roasting pans you can buy in the store. You can also cover a beer bottle box with a couple of layers of aluminum foil. 1 glowing charcoal brick size coal = 20 degrees sustained temp for 1/2 hour underneath the box (20 coals = 400 degrees).
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Beans and hotdogs.

Anything with meat in it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Spam with breakfast, sliced thin and fried until it's crispy.
View Quote

GACK!!!  CHOKE!!!!  Think I'll pass thank you.  Go for tree rats and dumplings.  Cooked right in a dutch oven with some cream of mushroom soup and use cheap canned biscuits for the dumplings.  Meat just falls off.  Yum.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Potted meat, Turkey Spam, GORP, the little Dinty Moore TV dinners that don't need refrigeration. This stuff is all pretty light and doesn't take up too much room in a pack, plus unlike MREs it doesn't use up your water supply to reconstitute any of this.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
OK I read this again and thought about it. When you guys say camping you don't really mean camping do you? You're talking about campgrounds right? I just can't imagine carrying a frigging Dutch oven with me while I hike to my campsite.

Jake
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#13]
i like pizza mountain pies.  all ya need is bread, sauce, cheese, and of course your moutain pie makers!  i love those things.  i hate those cheap coleman makers though.  they suck.  i picked up 2 heavy duty ones at the army navy store.  they rock.

edited to add:
oops forgot butter or margarine.  a friend of mine uses that butter flavored pam.  it seems to work pretty good but i prefer butter on the bread.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#14]
"Camping" means sleeping in a tent or in a motor home or trailer.  As opposed to staying at home or at a motel.

You're talking about "backpacking," of which "camping" is a part.

And no, I would't carry a dutch oven on a hike either, unless accompanied by a pack train.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
... I dunno where you all are camping but for example I ate fresh [b]Rainbow Trout[/b] this weekend.

... Caught my limit both Saturday & Sunday at Big Lake, AZ - 9500 feet
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Best Camp food...Trout fried in Butter...or second...S.O.S.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Steaks and baked potatoes on a portable grill.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Pancakes!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
pit roast

dig a big hole

burn some wood in it

put some dirt over the coals

put a roast on the dirt

bury it

in the morning dig it up

unwrap it (oh yeah, wrap it in foil with some onions, then wrap the foil in an throw out towel or burlap sack, also, it helps to put a brick or something above the roast so you don't bust it open with the shovel when you dig it up)

eat
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Beany-Weenie, of course.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nothing beats the ease of a good old foil dinner.  It can be made to suit anyone's taste.  No soot stained pots and pans to scrub.  And when your done you can make a nifty little hat with the left over foil.
View Quote

Take a big ol raw hamburger patty, one bake potatoe cut into cubes about the size of your thumb, thick slice of onion and salt and pepper (lots of pepper).

Wrap the whole thing real tight in tin foil and cook for 20 to 30 min.

Put on the grill or bury it in the coals.

Eat it right out of the foil, no mess --- except the hat part. [;)]

We call it the girlscout pack. Very tasty! [:)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Beany-Weenie, of course.
View Quote

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/thumbs.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Am I the only one who thought you guys were referring to the other dutch oven.. Involving pulling the sheets over your girlfriends head AFTER you eat the beans [devil]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Good authentic Mexican beans.The kind you cook slowwww for three days.More like a paste.spoon some on a real warmed over the fire tortillas add trimmings like homemade salsa,hottt peppers tomatoes ect.Mmmmm Mnnnn

You do have a privy close by.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Mountain-Man Stew.

The last day of camping, put everything you have left over in a pot, cook it, eat it. Now you don't have to carry any supplies out with you.

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Now Lady_Glock,  You KNOW what the best camping food is......

Little Smokies
Cheddar Wurst
Tortillas
shredded Cheddar
mustard

Pringles
Beer

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Biccuit on a stick!

Whack open one of those biscuit in a can things and wrap a couple around a stick you cut... squish em together so they hold tight. then just roast em gently over the fire..

Pull them off the stick when golden brown... They have a ready-made hole for butter or jelly... My kids love em for late night snacks before we douse the fire.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Kraft Mac and Cheese!  Mom used to make a great camp-stove pork chow mein, and I sometimes make camp-stove chicken or pork stir-fry.  While cabin "camping" recently tried a few of those Lipton side dishes.  They are okay.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Nothing beats ELK fajitas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#32]
If you have lots of time, all of BenDover's suggestions sounded great.

For those times when you're in a hurry (fish are biting, you're late getting up and to your stand, you're tired from hiking, etc) nothing beats canned chili.

You don't have to even heat it up. No dishes except the spoon you eat with. One can per person and toss after the meal. Can't beat it for quick and nutritious.

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Car camping:
I usually just make the same stuff I'd BBQ at home. I also go with a sausage and egg breakfast that I never make at home.

At the last camp and shoot with other AR15.com folks, me and my buddy made ice cream. It was great with another members hot homemade peach cobbler cooked on site in a dutch oven. One of the best desserts I've ever had.

Backpacking:
Hard to beat peanut butter and flour tortillas. It's very durable and isn't damaged by repeatedly stuffing it into a backpack. It doesn't have the hassle with cooking dehydrated food. I've also had less problem eating it while being a bit sick from hiking in high altitudes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#34]
My favorite is making bacon and eggs over a fire, in a paper bag.  No clean up.

Now before you guys start claiming it can't be done, let me give you the recipe.

Take a small brown paper bag like the ones used to pack your kids' lunch.  Put 2 strips of bacon in the bottom.  Carefully crack 2 eggs and pour them on top of the bacon.  (Don't break the yokes.)  Fold the top of the bag over 1 or 2 times and poke a stick through the top.  Jam the other end of the stick in the ground so the bag hangs about 6-8 inches over the coals.

The bag does NOT burn up because the bacon and eggs keep it below 451*, the ignition point of paper.  

By the way, you can also boil water for tea or coffee in a paper cup by sticking the cup beside the coals.  The water keeps it from burning.  You will lose any of the cup above the waterline though.  We also used to do it with Styrofoam.  That's not a good idea because where to you think the Styrofoam above the waterline goes when it melts?  Right in the coffee.  

Kids by the way LOVE this.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top