Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2005 1:14:51 PM EDT
Post some good quotes about anything. Doesn't have to be gun related.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I swear she said she was 18!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I find work fascinating.  I can sit and stare at it for hours.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
(Points to Adam's apple)
"If it sticks out here, ...
(points to crotch)
... it sticks out here."
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life.  It goes on.---Robert Frost

It's better to be a live jackal than a dead lion---for jackals, not men.---Sidney Hooks

People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them.---Eric Hoffer

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.---Carl Sagan

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.---George Bernard Shaw.

They can eat a cold bowl of fuck if they don't like it.—Civilian contractor in Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Churchill had a few great zingers:

"Sir Winston, if you were my husband I would serve you poison!"
"And if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Sir Winston, you're drunk!"
"Yes, I am drunk now, but by morning I'll be sober. You'll still be ugly!"

"Mr. Atlee claims he will be a more humble leader than you."  
"Mr. Atlee has much to be humble about!"
--------------------------------------------------------------

Groucho Marx, on his game show You Bet Your Life, had a woman contestant who had nine children, or some other large number.

"Nine kids?  Lady, I like a good cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while."
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
"Rudeness is a weak mans imitation of strength."

My favorite philosopher,
Eric Hoffer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
It's all in the sig
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Say what you mean.
   Mean what you say.
   Talk fast and don't slobber on anyone.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
"The less I do, the more they need Me"
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Go ahead Bunky, pop the clutch
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
"If you disagree with me, you're an idiot."---89grand.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#13]
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" -Ozzy

"Ha HA Ha, AK-47, for when you absolutly positively have to kill every single mothafucka in the room, except no subsitute" -Samuel L. Jackson in "Jackie Brown"
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't have hands be laid upon me.  I don't do these to others and I require the same from them".  John Wayne in The Shootist

"War means fightin' and fightin' means killin'",    "No damn man kills me and lives".  Lt Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
"If we had some eggs we could have some steak and eggs, if we had some steak."

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Beneath that womans breast beats the heart of a child.

AB
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's one of my favorites - can from our IT department @ work. It must be an "eye-dee-ten-t" problem referring to a person they were dealing with. If you don't get it from the phrase above it is ID10T written out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#18]
See my sig.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#19]
See sig
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Frankenstein doesn't scare me, but marsupials do.  Cause they're fast.

Christopher Walken.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#21]
"...giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." P.J. O’Rourke

"No one but he who has partaken thereof, can understand the keen delight of hunting in lonely lands. For him is the joy of the horse well ridden and the rifle well held; for him the long days of toil and hardship, resolutely endured, and crowned at the end with triumph. In after years there shall come forever to his mind the memory..." Teddy Roosevelt

"Men, remember there is no retreat from here. You must die where you stand." Sir Colin Campbell to "The Thin Red Line" at the battle of Balaclava

"To us is given the honor of striking a blow for freedom which will live in history; and in the better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." Bernard Law Montgomery

"Next to a battle lost, there is nothing so dreadful as a battle won." The Duke of Wellington

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, or close the wall up with our English dead." King Henry V

"Dreadful is the mysterious power of fate; there is no deliverance from it by wealth or by war, by walled city or dark, seabeaten ships." Sophocles

"He lives free who has the strength to". Karen Blixen

"In the glance of the speechless animal there is a discourse that only the soul of the wise can really understand." an Indian poet

"As a fighter pilot I hoped for a concentration of amusement, fear, and exaltation which it would be impossible to experience in any other form of existence. I was not disappointed." Richard Hillary (Spitfire pilot, killed in action 7 Jan. 1943)

"Come now, and let us go and risk our entirely worthless lives." Karen Blixen, inviting Denys Finch-Hatten to hunt lions.

"Pick up a rifle - a really good rifle - and if you know how to use it well you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Jeff Cooper

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary, and the grim." Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 15 March 1910

"Americans can be counted on to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all other options." Winston Spencer Churchill

"Things do not pass for what they are, but for what they seem." Baltasar Gracian

"Wherever a man takes up his post, either because he thinks it is the best place or because his officer has placed him there, there I think he should stay and face the dangers, taking nothing into account, neither death nor anything else, in comparison with dishonor."   Marcus Aurelius

"The guileful find guile where there is no guile."

"We become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts, brave by doing brave acts." Aristotle

Man's greatest actions are performed in minor struggles. Life, misfortune, isolation, abandonment and poverty are battlefields which have their heroes - obscure heroes who are at times greater than illustrious heroes.
- Victor Hugo

"Look what dust we raise", said the fly upon the chariot wheel. Aesop

"Having seen it, I desire urgently never to see it again." Rudyard Kipling, about Chicago

"Affliction is a good man’s shining time." Edward Young, English poet

"I feel the power of evil coursing through my veins, filling every corner of my being with the desire to do wrong." The Evil One, in "Time Bandits"

"Man for war, and woman for the warrior's delight, all else is foolishness" Neitzsche

"He could have lived in peace without incurring any reproaches or any harm, but he chose to make war. He could have lived a life of ease, but he preferred a hard life with warfare. He could have had money and security, but he chose to make the money he had less by engaging in war." Xenophon, about Clearcus the Spartan

"We have compelled every land and every sea to open a path for our valor, and have everywhere planted eternal memorials of our friendship and of our enmity."  Thucydides (the funeral oration of Pericles)

"We all went up to Gettysburg, the summer of sixty-three, and some of us came back from there; and that's all except for the details." a Confederate officer

"In every age there are certain articles of faith which society accepts unquestioningly, with or without evidence; often, indeed, in the face of inconvenient facts." William Manchester

"Every boy ought to learn to shoot and to obey orders, else he is no more good when war breaks out than an old woman, and merely gets killed like a squealing rabbit." Robert Baden-Powell

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." Abraham Lincoln

"A canter is the cure for all evils." Benjamin Disraeli

"No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle." Winston Spencer Churchill

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start my friend, anyone can start from now and make a brand new end." Carl Bard

"The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anybody else." an anonymous source in American Airlines Flight Communications

"You can lick my dirty ass right after I've taken a taco bell dump if you think he ain't all that and a bag of chips."  Doctor Evil
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Walk tall, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

(Will Rogers, often quoted by Col. Cooper  me thinks)
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#23]
"Opposition to the truth is inevitable, especially if it takes the form of a new idea, but the degree of resistance can be diminished- by giving thought not only to the aim but to the method of approach. Avoid a frontal attack on a long established position; instead, seek to turn it by flank movement, so that a more penetrable side is exposed to the thrust of truth. But, in any such indirect approach, take care not to diverge from the truth- for nothing is more fatal to its real advancement than to lapse into untruth."

B.H. Liddell Hart
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Hold my beer... Watch this Sh@#%^....hed.Unknown
You will never invade the United States there is a gun behind every blade of grass..admiral yamamoto
My favorite:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, Go Home from us in peace. We ask not your council nor your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.-Samuel Adams 1776
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer."
~ Theodore Roosevelt.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#26]
"Balls!" said the Queen, "If I had 'em, I'd be King!"

"You look familiar, have I threatened you before?" Capn. Jack Sparrow

"It's not the round with your name on it, it's the round addressed 'To whom it may concern' that ya gotta worry about.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#27]
After being told that the persian archers were so numerous that their arrows would blot out the sun, Leonidas, of Sparta, said:

"Good, we shall fight in the shade."

"Molon Labe."

"Nuts."

"Fuck you, Leahy," Cheney.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been with the Company for 30 years....and I have never wanted to be one of the Big Wheels....you know what happens to big wheels don't you.....they go round and round and sooner or later a dog comes  by and pisses on it......

Old guy where I used to work......

Smith Bowling ....... the man with a last name first
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#29]
"There have been a few changes in this months sales contest..."
Glengarry Glenross.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#30]
If you can't be good, then be good at it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is my Fav of the day.
I saw it on GT. Poster said he thought it was from a T-shirt.

"Kimbers and Colts are what you show to your friends, Glocks are what you show to your enemies".
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Always liked Heinlein and Ray Kroc

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. "

"Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy."

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. "

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

"Sex should be friendly. Otherwise stick to mechanical toys; it's more sanitary. "

--  Robert A. Heinlein

"Its easy to have principles when you're rich. The important thing is to have principles when you're poor."

"While formal schooling is an important advantage, it is not a guarantee of success nor is its absence a fatal handicap."

"The quality of a leader is reflected in the standards they set for themselves."

-- Ray Kroc

Mencken aint bad either

"The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his hand and it's good-by to the Bill of Rights. "

"The only kind of freedom that the mob can imagine is freedom to annoy and oppress its betters, and that is precisely the kind that we mainly have. "

"All I ask is equal freedom. When it is denied, as it always is, I take it anyhow."

Luck
Alac

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." S Wright
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#33]
O'Flynn and Dobkin prepare Quigley for an old-fashioned duel
Marston starts walking backwards
Marston slips his coat back to reveal his holster

Matthew Quigley: This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok.

Quigley shoots Dobkin, O'Flynn and Marston before they can even aim their guns, then walks up to a
dying Marston and says "I said I didn't have much use for one. Didn't say I didn't know how to use it."

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#34]
All of these are by H.L. Mencken:

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too.
Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
Husbands never become good; they merely become proficient.
If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner.
If I ever marry, it will be on a sudden impulse - as a man shoots himself.
Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.
Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another.
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
Men have a much better time of it than women. For one thing, they marry later; for another thing, they die earlier.
Morality is the theory that every human act must be either right or wrong, and that 99 % of them are wrong.
No matter how happily a woman may be married, it always pleases her to discover that there is a nice man who wishes that she were not.
Platitude: an idea (a) that is admitted to be true by everyone, and (b) that is not true.
Puritanism. The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
Self-respect: the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is suspicious.
The common argument that crime is caused by poverty is a kind of slander on the poor.
The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom.
Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right.
What men value in this world is not rights but privileges.
When women kiss it always reminds one of prize fighters shaking hands.
Women have simple tastes. They get pleasure out of the conversation of children in arms and men in love.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Hard head makes for a soft ass
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Some people have something to say, others just have to say something.
-from the menu at Zeke's in Prescott, AZ.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Never fry bacon in the nude.--Anon.

A crusty old master sergeant told me this one when I first came into the service:  "The Air Force will give you plenty of opportunity to be uncomfortable, there's no reason to make any of your own."
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#39]
If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.  Francis
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Lighten up francis.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Eat it or go to your room!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#42]
"Do your duty in all things.
You cannot do more.
You should never do less."

-Robert E. Lee
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know why, but for some reason I always got a kick out of this one...

The Pope? How many divisions has he got?

Said, May 13, 1935, to French Foreign Minister Pierre Laval, in reply to a suggestion that the Soviet Union should encourage Catholicism in order to propitiate the Pope.

www.bartleby.com/66/30/55130.html

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I keep a big quote file

Everything on www.despair.com

Whatever you've done, whatever you've been, is all, totally, one hundred percent, your own fault. All.” Dr. (Colonel) Richard Colin Campbell Ames in The Cat Who Walkes Through Walls by Robert Heinlein

“Dying isn't difficult. Even a baby kitten can do it.” - Col. Richard Colin Ames Campbell in The Cat who Walked through Walls

"Lady, people aren't chocolates... Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling." - Some guy on Scrubs

For sure it is an evil spite, and breaking to the heart, For Irishmen to watch a fight and not be taking part. -Robert Service

"The strong do as they will, and the weak submit as they must"
-Thucydides, the Melian Dialogue.

I am the flail of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. - Temujin (Genghis Khan)

The essence of life is struggle, and its goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the mind of man. The reality of life is war. - Lovret

“I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who wound me”. -Archilochus, 650 B.C.

"Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about."  - Jet Black

"All problems, personal, national, or combat, become smaller if you don't dodge them. Touch a thistle timidly and it pricks you; grasp it boldly and its spines crumble. Carry the battle to the enemy." - Fleet Admiral William "Bull" Halsey, USN

"Regrets are idle; yet history is one long regret. Everything might have turned out so differently." - Charles Warner

"The point of the story is that you don't stop fighting until the fight is over. You don't need to go down just because you have taken a few hits. As long as you believe you can keep going you will. If you do go down, you are still going to win because you are going to gnaw through his Achilles' tendon and bring him down to where you can rip his head off." - Greg Hamilton

"Rifles are inanimate objects that have no will of their own. As such, they may be used by evil men for evil purposes. While an evil man may not be persuaded by propaganda, he may certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC Ret.

"If you have a problem, just handle it and get back in the fight. Only your life depends on it." - Clint Smith

"Any fit young man looking for employment with a difference at a salary well in excess of 100 pounds per month should telephone 838-5203 during business hours. Employment initially offered for 6 months. Immediate start." - help wanted ad, Johannesburg Star, 4 September 1964.

"There is only one thing in the life of men, nations, and states which is without price, and this is honor."  - Jozef Beck, Polish Foreign Minister, 1939.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Some of my favorites:

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher Von Braun

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. "-Theodore Roosevelt

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

"If it is true that people turn over in their graves,
then Thomas Jefferson and George Washington
should be sources of perpetual energy."
-- Peter Camejo

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stuart Mill

Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
-Nietzsche

I have learned silence from the talkative.
-Tolkien

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#46]
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect." -- Samuel Johnson

GL
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

"The pacifist is as surely a traitor to his country and to humanity as is the most brutal wrongdoer."
~ Theodore Roosevelt.

I like this one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#48]
thanks, got some good ones for my stock.
here are a few of  my fevorites:

“Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel" - Horace Walpole

"Life isn't Disney bullshit!" - Penn & Teller

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa

...With that done, Col. Milley turned to BG Cucolo and said, “A lot of people are going to be hating me and cursing my name tonight.” As I walked away BG Cucolo commented, “That there is a lot more to loving your soldiers than making sure that they always love you.”...

and ,of course:

Gary Johnston: We're dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the Film Actors Guild are pussies. And Kim Jong Il is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from assholes. I don't know much about this crazy crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#49]
It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them
 Caron de Beaumarchais

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.
-- Abba Eban

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
-- Redd Foxx

Every time I look at you I get a fierce desire to be lonesome.
-- Oscar Levant

Some people approach every problem with an open mouth.
-- Adlai Stevenson

1. Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.
-- Johnathan Swift
2. Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
-- Mark Twain
3. Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either.
-- Gore Vidal
I'd insult you, but you're not bright enough to notice.
I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.
If I want to hear the pitter patter of little feet, I'll put shoes on my cats.
Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.
Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

The trouble with her is that she lacks the power of conversation but not the power of speech.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Eric Hoffer
-- When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

I like all of the above.  I keep 'em saved.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#50]
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

George Orwell from the book 1984

A good read still.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top