Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 8:59:03 PM EST
New to me house. Have at least 16 windows that need blinds. Currently no coverage at all. I like the 2" white wood blind look. Maybe put curtains in the more formal areas to dress it up inside later. Prefer the embossed wood grain texture rather than smooth I think, but looking for opinions.

I already went to selectblinds.com for my kitchen window to see if I'd like their quality. It is acceptable so I'm thinking of going to them for the remaining windows.

Have a kid on the way so I'm also considering the strangling hazard of the cords and the possible destruction a little kid could do.

Curious what you guys have done, where you went, and what works in long run.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:36:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 10:37:52 PM EST by usmcmp]
They collect dust like a mother. They are heavy as hell when trying to raise them, usually takes two hands for a medium size blind, one to pull on cord, one to lift blind.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:24:51 AM EST
Previous house we went thru Lowe's for pleated shades and wood blinds. Levelor. Went that direction because we were trying to match door and window trim stain. We were very pleased but they were more expensive than the faux.

Current house, everything in from blinds.com, faux wood and pleated shades this time around. The faux woods are from two different manufacturers, one is levelor and one is their off brand just called blinds.com faux wood. Probably made my a name brand manufacturer and rebranded. We wanted to match specific colors and the ones we chose matched the closest. They are also in different parts of the house so it works fine.

Levelor is definitely better quality but even the name brand blinds are ok. We don't have little ones so they won't get the abuse so we weren't too concerned about the mechanisms as much as we wanted a close color match.

Drawbacks, you have to order color swatches which takes about a week. It's a delay plus I think you can only order 10 color samples. Also you are responsible for measurements and install. Not a big deal for us we had a blind business about 20 yrs ago so we have seen our fair share of windows and window coverings. Some people get intimidated, not sure why.
Another drawback is selection. Limited colors and manufacturers.

The biggest benefit is cost. Tons cheaper and you might even find a Levelor sale and save some more $$$$.

Yeah they are heavier than true wood blinds but not really an issue since most people don't raise them except to wash the windows. Dusting, yeah another pain in the ass especially if you go with the sand blasted. I would stay far far away from the sand blasted finish. Here is one pic of our family room.

" />
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:29:15 PM EST
Thanks.

Looks good. Hope you have a nice view out those windows

I'm waiting on some swatches to see what finish/color will match our white trim best. Once I have the style chosen I'm going to run by Lowes/HD and see if they can come close to price. I'm checking out blinds.com tonight and may order some swatches from them also.

I've found some cordless blinds but they are about $100 more per window. After speaking to the ol lady we think as long as we take precautions and are diligent then the blinds should not pose much hazard to the kid. There are some childproofing cord winders that keep the cords short, so that looks like one good solution.

Dusting shouldn't be a problem, I just close the blinds all the way and sweep w/ vacuum wand.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:30:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 9:31:24 PM EST by MEDIC1957]
We just bought Bali brand blinds from Lowe's. They have a 20% off sale right now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:36:08 PM EST
Levelor from Home Depot. Had to get them cut to 44.5" and they cut them free. Ours are the 2" white with wood grain look. I think they are real nice and not tooheavy.You can always use your other hand to assist them up from the bottom. Our have the 4 into one drawstring whic I really like and iit's more kid safe than the old style. Also get a moving kit from the post office for a Lowes 10% off coupon that HD will honor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:36:36 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akrado:
Thanks.
Looks good. Hope you have a nice view out those windows

I'm waiting on some swatches to see what finish/color will match our white trim best. Once I have the style chosen I'm going to run by Lowes/HD and see if they can come close to price. I'm checking out blinds.com tonight and may order some swatches from them also.

I've found some cordless blinds but they are about $100 more per window. After speaking to the ol lady we think as long as we take precautions and are diligent then the blinds should not pose much hazard to the kid. There are some childproofing cord winders that keep the cords short, so that looks like one good solution.

Dusting shouldn't be a problem, I just close the blinds all the way and sweep w/ vacuum wand.
View Quote

we have 6ft windows on our main level so when the blinds are down, the cords are way too high for the kids to reach. when we put the blinds up, i just make a couple of loops out of the cord and put it around the window locks. its still 4ft off the ground so my toddler cant reach it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:55:29 AM EST
We went with the Lowe's brand.

Cut to fit in the store. Mounted them easily.

That damn cats can't tear these up so a big improvement over the cheap plastic mini blinds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:31:25 AM EST
I ordered 2" White Faux Wood Blinds from HomeDepot. You can order them made cut to order. For the most part I have been very happy one thing I notice. You are better off going a .5" over your actual measurement. However home depot measures it's on the small size.

I thought the pricing was reasonable, you can return them if they don't fit to your local home depot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:56:21 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beachhead0:
I ordered 2" White Faux Wood Blinds from HomeDepot. You can order them made cut to order. For the most part I have been very happy one thing I notice. You are better off going a .5" over your actual measurement. However home depot measures it's on the small size.

I thought the pricing was reasonable, you can return them if they don't fit to your local home depot.
View Quote

Definitely DO NOT do this. The standard manufacturer allowance is 1/2" for wood blinds. They also advise to use the narrowest measurement when ordering. Some windows can be out as much as a full 1/8" to 1/4". Add those together and you get huge margins. I've always considered the factory allowances when ordering because I know the finished dimensions of the blind and how it would fit.

All that being said your concerns about child safety is a valid one but infants / toddlers can't fly so just keep the curtain climbers away from the cords and you'll be fine. Don't overthink everything that can harm a child or you'll become paralyzed with fear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:19:44 PM EST
Consider temperature when deciding Faux Wood Blinds vs real wood. A week of summer vacation, with the AC off, left our 2 month old Faux Wood blinds looking like shit on the south and west windows that got direct evening sun.
Top Top