Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2003 5:20:07 PM EDT
Disclaimer - With alot of the cop bashing around here I feel I have to say that I have nothing against cops.

Almost every day I see one of the fattest people I've ever seen in my life - and he's a cop.  He directs traffic on a busy street in Houston.

This guy is a big chunk of black meat - probably 6'3 and has to be nearly 400 lbs.  His belly hangs about a full 8" below his belly when he's standing straight up.  It's not a round belly, it's a huge, flabby, hanging belly.

Don't police departments have physical standards?  Doesn't this guy have to pass some kind of test to continue to wear his blue uniform?  It's sad that (from what I've seen) over half of the cops out there are overweight, and sometimes severly so like in this case.  I try not to make fun of people, but I mean come on - how the hell is this guy going to pose any threat to a criminal?

If I remember, I'll take my digital camara with me to work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
least he is working.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to make fun of a local cop that was even larger than the guy you mentioned.  I used to notice him two or three times a week.  That was until I saw a pictures of him bench pressing over 400# and deadlifting over 700# with a note that when he was competing, he was lifting more than that.  I'd love to see him get his hands on a criminal.

Also, I agree with cyanide.  He's working, so what's the problem?  I've directed traffic before, and it's not fun.z
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
How old is this guy? He could be somebody a few years from retirement just riding things out directing traffic.

OTH, it does seem like they let just about anybody be a cop these days.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I wondered about the 'fat cop question' too. I have a hard time respecting any lard ass, much less a LEO that's 40 pounds overweight. How are they supposed to catch anyone???
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Is he black on the inside? Is he a chunck of red meat with a black coating? If he was white, would you have used the term "white chunk of meat"? I bet you that he can kick you a$$. Maybe he works the "tank" also.
GG
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I am good friends with a local cop that is quite hefty.  He keeps a spare set of handcuffs in his back pocket and he is soo hefty that after sitting on a pair daily for around a year, bent them so badly that they could no longer function.  But he is a nice guy that knows his stuff and has a great rapport with the community.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I think cops should maintain a certain body weight just like in the military.

and have annual PT proficiency tests.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
outside of the airport, the only place I've seen / been to in Houston is Ricks Caberet.. is that anywhere near there? [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got nothing against fat people. So long as they don't act like they should be treated like somone uber-special because of their weight, or get in my way (IE: sitting next to a 400# woman on a plane).
Other than than, if theyre fat, BFD. If theyre happy, then so be it. Should they decide to get in shape, more power to them.
I judge people (other than hot chicks [;)]) by their character, not their looks.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not so much a cop thing as it is a Houston thing which is always ranked in the top 3 most obese cities in the USA.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
i would love for my employer to institute fitnesss requirements for employment

especially if they'd install a weight room in the building

losing my job would motivate me to get off of my fat ass
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#15]
There appears to be a relaxation of fitness standards for cops that are obese.

Texas is filled with obese cops. It would be impossible for most of the Krispy Kings to walk 50 yards at a brisk pace, much less chase down an assiliant or intruder with any success. But let's face facts, what they lack in physical agility and speed they make up for with razor sharp wit and skilled reason.

TT [coffee]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#16]
fat cops? i guess non  of you ever been to chicago
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Biggest officer I ever knew  made me look small, and I'm 6'2" and 200 pounds.

I was losing a fight,  5 on one with me on the ground,  when Randy showed up.  The best memory I have is of one guy my size flying OVER my car without touching the light bar.

He peeled them off me one by one, laid them out with one hit, and went on to the next.   Do you think I really cared that he didn't look like a candidate for a recruiting poster?  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Last HPD guys i saw was an old fat guy with a young rickie martin type.   shirt half unzipped, gunbelt on weird,  hair all fixed up.  

the older one looked more professional...but bother where have the standards gone!!??!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Years ago in the small town I live in,  there was one cop on the PD's force who's about six foot six and probably weighed 350 pounds,  and most of it was around his waist.

Yet he could outrun most of the juvenile delinquents in the junior and high schools, and often did exactly that and caught them.

Nobody asked more of him than that.  He could catch the track team!   Sounds fit enough for me...plus he could pretty much manhandle ANYBODY if he had to.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Damn, luckily I have never had odds that bad.  I probably would have started shooting.
View Quote

I was trying my damndest to keep it in the holster. Everybody else wanted it as well.

The wrecker driver who I was trying to help was a big fat guy too, and  pretty well held his own. Course,  he had a cheater bar.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Now we have hear complaints about how we are average Americans? Jeez.

What do you prefer, JBT's or everyday people?

I try not to make fun of people, but I mean come on - how the hell is this guy going to pose any threat to a criminal?
View Quote

How about by beating his ass? (assuming he had it coming)
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Had to do it three times,  and to be honest,  all three were  because I was REALLY stupid.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#25]
How dare you post this without a photo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How dare you post this without a photo.
View Quote

[img]http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umpiecz0/cosby/pics/fat_albert.jpg[/img]

Sorry. I just couldn't help it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh, the memories!

That was the BEST cartoon running back in the early 70's when I was between the ages of six and ten!

You don't see it running anymore, I gather, because it's not "politically correct".

The irony in that is that it ALWAYS carried a positive message in every episode.

I hope Cartoon Network picks it up, though they'd probably park it the Adult Swim section.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#28]
It was a Bill Cosby cartoon. How could it not have a positive message. It was one of the great cartoons. Right up there with Hong Kong Fooey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top