Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 6:50:09 AM EDT
No one knows what's happened to the fat man (76) since he said he was planning to "ride out" the storm in N.O. with his wife on Monday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#1]
There were early reports of people seeing his house partially submerged.  It was definitely his house.  It's very "distinctive".
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be damned.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't even know he was still alive.  Hope they came through okay!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Sad to hear - I love his music.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn, why would someone who could afford to leave, stay?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No one knows what's happened to the fat man (76) since he said he was planning to "ride out" the storm in N.O. with his wife on Monday.

Aint that a shame!
Somebody had to say it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just wait until one of the asshats arrive in this thread to say that the gentleman was an idiot for staying and that IF he's still alive, it's likely he's out looting some liquor store!

Eric The(WalkingToNewOrleans)Hun

agreed, sad to think he may have died like that :(

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Aint that a shame!

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aint that a shame!

Man that was bad...

ETA: ironically, some of his other hits were...

Going to the River

Poor Me

Blue Monday

Valley of Tears

and finally.... Let the Four Winds Blow
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone checked Blueberry Hill?

(Maybe he took refugee on the high ground?)
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Because it's his home.  Some of us would rather die protecting what we have than to just give-up and leave.

Also, he's 77 years-old, not 76.  He's exactly 6 months (to the day) older than me.z
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
... ETA: ironically, some of his other hits were...

Going to the River

Poor Me

Blue Monday

Valley of Tears

and finally.... Let the Four Winds Blow

I can't believe you forgot/omitted Walking to New Orleans...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Maybe he thought that this storm would sweep through like most, causing some damage but not turning the city into a post-apocolyptic nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it's his home.  Some of us would rather die protecting what we have than to just give-up and leave.

Also, he's 77 years-old, not 76.  He's exactly 6 months (to the day) older than me.z

Damn Zoom, good to see the elderly get into new stuff like computers. Keep it up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:50:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I didn't.

Missed that.  D'oh!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#18]
He probably stayed because he knew that if he didn't he wouldn't have anything left.  I also see an interesting correlation.  It seems like most of the "elder" poplulation will stay to ride out a hurricane because they were able to ride them out for 50+ years without any problems.  Young people who have never experienced a hurricane will probably back it up and leave.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Forgive me in advance.

If you have access to a television and saw that monster while it was in the gulf, and if you had the means, you did not evacuate......you were being stupid with God's gift of life.

It is not giving up to do the prudent thing. How do you protect your stuff from nature?
Which group would you like to be a part of......the people who evac'ed or the people who drown?

This was predicted to be bad. There was NO chance it would not be.

Zoom while I understand what you are saying.......it is stupid to think there is anyway you could stop a hurricane, and if your home did survive, you don't have anything to look forward to except disease, hunger, heat, thirst.......do I need to say more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I love his music.

But he's a retard for staying.  It's not like it was a thunderstorm or something.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Found!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#22]

You made, me cry
when you said, goodbye
Ain't that a shame, my tears fall like rain
Ain't that a shame, you the one to blame

You broke, my heart
When you said, we'll part

Oh well, goodbye
Although, I'll cry

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Seriously, he's been found.... alive.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Seriously, he's been found....

On blueberry hill?

You've been a great crowd! Remember to take care of your waitresses because they're taking care of you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Ain't that a shame...  (A damn crying shame if you ask me)

I hope we are all worried over nothing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#27]
jUST READ THAT THE fAT MAN WAS FOUND AND RESCUED TONIGHT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Yea, I read it too, THREE POSTS ABOVE YOURS.

Quoted:
jUST READ THAT THE fAT MAN WAS FOUND AND RESCUED TONIGHT

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Seriously, he's been found....

On blueberry hill?

See! I told you guys where too look but no one would listen!

Still no word if the search and rescue teams  found his "thrill' though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how exactly do you protect yourself from 140 mph winds ?

you leave
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hate to say it, but going against a cat 5 storm and thinking you will weather it out is not protecting your home, its suicide and pure stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:52:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Rescuers help Fats Domino off a boat after he was rescued Monday from his New Orleans home.

(CNN) -- Rock 'n' roll pioneer Fats Domino was among the thousands of New Orleans residents plucked from rising floodwaters, his daughter said Thursday.

Karen Domino White, who lives in New Jersey, identified her father in a picture taken Monday night by a New Orleans Times-Picayune photographer.

The photograph shows Domino -- the singer behind the 1950s hits "Ain't That a Shame" and "Blueberry Hill" -- being helped off a boat near his home in the city's Lower 9th Ward.

His whereabouts since the rescue were not immediately known. Nor was there any information about his wife, Rosemary, friends said.

The neighborhood was heavily flooded when a levee failed as Katrina slammed into southeastern Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Thousands are feared dead in the storm, Louisiana's governor and the mayor of New Orleans have said, though no official tally has been compiled.

White said she last heard from her father August 23, four days before the storm hit, and was unable to contact him Sunday.

"I didn't have any information. I was just praying," she said.

Writer Charles Amann said he last spoke to Domino on Sunday, and the singer refused to join the evacuation that was then under way.

"He said to me, in that wonderful Southern accent of his, that no, he was staying on -- that he had gone through the last one and he could go through this one," said Amann, who is working on a book on the early days of the "American Bandstand" television program.

Many of those evacuated from the Lower 9th Ward were taken to the Louisiana Superdome and are being transferred to the Astrodome sports stadium in Houston, Texas.

Alan Warner, an EMI Music executive, also saw the photograph of Domino's rescue. But he said he did not know where the 77-year-old singer, born Antoine Domino, was taken afterward.

"But the fact that he actually was rescued is just so gratifying," Warner said.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top