Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 12:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 1:18:23 PM EDT by LightSpeed2]
It helps motivate me to put my Prize  bike on the trainer rather than the Hy-bred

Got to keep pedaling through Winter.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:30:08 PM EDT
Great looking bike!

I've thought about setting up my bike for occasional indoor use but am worried about possible oil, dirt, gunk, etc. getting on the carpet.  Is this a problem?  Maybe if my bike was as immaculate as yours it wouldn't be an issue.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 12:42:18 PM EDT by luger355]
is that a rolf wheel i see????

mon du, put a mavic on there before the style jbt's come after you.

One of these days i gotta dust of the trainer myself though. I spent the big dollar and got a 1up
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:15:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 1:16:30 PM EDT by LightSpeed2]
I use simple green to clean the drivetrain, then I use Pedro's Extra Dry.  I also put a long towell under the bike when I use it.  Not only for grime of the bike but for  my sweat as well.

The Rolf's are free, well kinda.  I can't see any reason to spring for a lighter wheel when I could shave 15 Pounds off me.  One of my riding buddies broke 2 Ksyrums this year. Although  he is a a powerful high torque rider.  He pulls the spokes out of the rim.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:19:01 PM EDT
I've never had a problem with gunk coming off the chain as long as it isn't super wet. If you think about it, the chain & rings aren't ever really spinning that fast.

LightSpeed2, how much do you train indoors? I've got all of the TdF DVD's to watch but damn, it is hard to keep going after that 2 hour mark.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:23:13 PM EDT
Really fast indoor bikes DON'T HAVE BRAKES.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 3:31:31 PM EDT by LightSpeed2]

Originally Posted By H-barCarbine:
I've never had a problem with gunk coming off the chain as long as it isn't super wet. If you think about it, the chain & rings aren't ever really spinning that fast.

LightSpeed2, how much do you train indoors? I've got all of the TdF DVD's to watch but damn, it is hard to keep going after that 2 hour mark.

Well..I usually only have one goal in the winter and that is when I can ride outdoors  again I am strong enough that I don't have to struggle.
That being said, I use video training tapes. I have one from Chris Carmichael that came with my
Cycle-OPS trainer focused on hills and  the workout is focused on pulling a deeper gear at medium to
80% max intervals.  This workout including cooldown is about 55 minutes.  This tape is fairly easy and
I master it in 3 or 4 weeks.  I have another one called SufferFest.  It is a series of high

intensitiy intervals that gives me all I want. This workout is about 70 minutes.  
I usually don't go for longer durations because of time constraints and the events I want to be in shape for arn't until June.  
Go to Bike Nashbar and Performance and search for a Video tape.  They are $20-30.
Look for a real nasty one, you can still watch the tape and if you can't keep up at first  you can still use it once you get in better shape, also you will only have to purchase one tape.  Combined with your TDF videos you'll be set.

Bike Nashar

Performance Bicycle

Performance has a ton of videos, my link wouldn't take me there.  Search Video
Spinervals is another good video
Joel
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:21:58 PM EDT
call me old fashioned, I still like rollers
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:29:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:00:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 4:23:42 PM EDT by LightSpeed2]

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
yup. i only ride al kreitler rollers.

work on your form, spin-spin-spin...and...oh yeah, you can still have all the fun of summer crashing while indoors if you space out and close your eyes during the sprint to the line!

Really fast indoor bikes DON'T HAVE BRAKES.

agreed. i usually do the rollers on my gardin track bike. remember, smoothness is next to godliness.

lightspeed, shouldn't your screen name be 'lite'speed? btw, the guys at the factory forgot your seat tube.

oh and...real men just say 'no' to shimaNO!

forza italy! forza azurro! forza campagnolo!

avanti! allez!

The System wouldn't let me have LiteSpeed or Lightspeed , so I'm Lightspeed2.
I don't think I'm coordinated enough for rollers.
You see, I'm an slow old guy (46). Got hurt runing Marathons. In 1997 I pulled a Hamstring at the Lincoln Marathon, mile 17, still finnished (Bad Idea). So when I couldn't run any more it took 2 months before I was Endorfin Jonesin.  Went to bikes. I still compete  in some time trials and My fastest
Century was 5:25 in 2000. Other than that it is BRAN and RAGBRAI.  Yearly milage is 3000.
You see Bob.....if you have track bikes You're a fast guy. Probably get your Bikes for free from a sponsor?????????????????
I have never had a chance to try Campy
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:40:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:42:09 PM EDT
Ever hear of a motorcycle?  ALOT faster than any bike.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:25:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 5:28:36 PM EDT by LightSpeed2]

Originally Posted By Epsilon:
Ever hear of a motorcycle?  ALOT faster than any bike.

Yes sir
1978 Husqvarna 390 CR
1979 Husqvarna 390 CR
1982 Husqvarna 420 Auto-Crosser
1983 Husqvarna 500 XC
1985 Husqvarna  400 MXC
1989 Husqvarna  250 MX
1991 KTM           300 WR

Retired 1994
Those were the days  

Top Top