Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
10/30/2020 2:42:12 PM
Posted: 12/29/2003 7:46:35 AM EST
What do you call that piece of metallic "bar" that people wear on their shirts' collars in order to keep the tie straight and jouting outward?  You'd see this when people were wearing those realy nice three piece suits in the 20s, 30s, and 40s (mainly the British?).  I still see them being worn by people in movies now a days when they are wearing one of those $3000 suits    

What does it called and where can I get one of those?  I've tried searching for it on the internet under "tie bars", "tie bridge", but no luck.  I even asked those people in Nordstrom, and they don't know it!  What the hell?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:49:19 AM EST
Collar bar.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:54:49 AM EST
I always thought it was called a tie bar (as opposed to a tie clasp, or tie clip, for holding the tie to your shirt further down).
I used to wear one a very long, long time ago.
I'd suggest contacting a good jeweler or men's haberdasher.  If you really got to have one, you'll be able to get one custom made for sure.  It's only three small parts, two of them silver soldered together, two of them threaded.  If you find a good precious metal smith, you'll probably be able to design your own and he'll craft it for you.  I doubt that it will cost very much.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:30:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 8:33:22 AM EST by second]
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
Collar bar.
View Quote

Holly molly!  Trust a marine to give me an answer to this fashion question!  Thank you so much, Jarhead_22, your help is much appreciated. [beer]

Thanks to you also, coolio, but Jarhead_22 beat you to it.

Edit: Oh, hey, Coolio, when you used to wear that thing, did you have to wear shirts with slightly longer collars? (The front length of the collar has to be longer than average?)

Thanks, again!
Top Top