Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2002 8:54:01 AM EDT
Hey its a change from warfare..

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55002-2002May8.html[/url]

OK so when I looked at the Senate version wheat growers are guaranteed $4.04 a bushel.

So then I go look on the UDSA market report dated today and wheat is currently going for $3.44-3.72.

Thats not 'price support' that a kick back, relax, and have a good time GIVEAWAY!!!!![:O]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The new farm bill is sadly another reason for planting 100% of your land, fertilizing the hell out of it and hoping for a bumper crop so there is a bigger surplus. Then prices will drop more and the gov will pay higher loan defficiency(sp?)payments and tax payers will get kicked harder in the gonads. It will also drive the price of farmland up more as the big farmers know it is in effect for 10 years.
   The cost to each taxpayer is said to be $4000.00 dollars each over the next 10yrs.Roughly the price of a complete upper for you and your spouse every year.
   The most expensive welfare program for 2% of the population in history. Our beloved(puking as I type it)Senators Daschle and Johnson are counting ballots from the farmers here already for their relection. Amazing how much it costs everyone for a few votes.
   Oh, and by the way before any farmer members jump down my throat about my comments. I was born and raised farming and ranching. My family still owns and operates it. My father was stating prior to this bill on how ridiculous the gov payments were. My father is 78 and a very good operator that has a small operation by todays standards. He planted about 100 acres last year and recieved approximately $4000.00 is susidies. It was published in our county that over a dozen medium sized(8000-10000)acre farms recieved in excess of $50,000.00 each. Not bad yearly welfare check compared to poverty in cities.
   I am a country person at heart but ag people are their own enemy by overproducing big time. Whether wheat,corn,peanuts or beef they overproduce at the expense of taxpayers. Some food is cheaper because of surpluses but higher taxes make up for the grocery bill.
   OK, I have set back and braced myself, let me have it. Good day.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If GWB signs the farmers welfare bill, I will no longer vote republican.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you think the Bush administration released the change in policy over the 2nd amendment and the farm subsidy bill information at the same time on purpose?  Maybe to take a little heat off the farm subsidy bill?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If GWB signs the farmers welfare bill, I will no longer vote republican.  
View Quote

I know!  And WTF is up with Bush and those protective tariffs on steel and lumber?  
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno fellas. I want to give GW the benefit of the doubt here but WTF?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#6]
So much for free trade!!

Hmmm

And you guys want us to allow you to put a gas pipline through Canada from Alaska??

YA RIGHT!!!!

You want us to keep selling you cheap Hydro??

THINK AGAIN!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I was talking to a Democrat about this yesterday & about the fact that it didn't make sense.

She said "You guys always try to make this an economic argument."

I said "Well, what is it if it isn't an economic argument?"

She said "I don't know."

So I said "Well then why should we pay small farmers to continue to be inefficient?  It's not practical for a farmer to have only 40 milk cows any more, for example."

She said " We should pay them because I want them to."

I said "Why?"

Obviously the conversation, going nowhere, went down hill from there.  Masters of reasoning those Democrats...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top