Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2001 6:41:28 AM EDT
If any of you wondered who stood on those "yellow footprints" before you...

[url]http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/6350/famous.htm[/url]

Kiwi
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Dan Rather?!!!! Wow, whoda thunk it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Montel is a an ex marine too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Montel Williams is a FORMER Marine.
View Quote

No guilt by association here.  

Charlton Heston is my favorite.  I was stationed on Okinawa with Dale Dye.  Ran into him at a few different functions.  Although he retired a Captain, he makes an excellent Colonel in the movies.  

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't see my name on that list.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Anything to the story that Mr. Rodgers was a marine?  I tried to get the facts one time, but coundn't find anything on it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Oli North (easy one)
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anything to the story that Mr. Rodgers was a marine?  I tried to get the facts one time, but coundn't find anything on it.
View Quote

I don't think so... However Capt. Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans were [;)]

Kiwi
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to just flat out disagree with a couple of names on their list. Sterling Hayden (corrupt police captain in [i]The Godfather[/i] and air force general in [i]Dr. Strangelove[/i]) was never in any military service, but did serve in Europe in the O.S.S. in WWII. Don Imus was never in any branch of the military, though he leads many to believe so without actually going so far as to admit it. Robert Wagner was never in any military branch either, though he did portray a marine in the movies when he was 19 and prime age for enlistment. Henry Bellmon was governor of Oklahoma as well (before and after the senate) and John Chaffee is deceased. BTW, Montel Williams may have been a marine, but he retired as a NAVY officer. Another marine on the list who dosen't get much press these days is William Manchester. He was in some of the heaviest fighting in the South Pacific. Everyone ought to read his memoir of this sometime; [i]Goodbye, Darkness[/i]. A good book.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Charlton Heston is my favorite.
View Quote

That list was not very accurate. I am pretty sure that it listed several actors who were not Marines and may have never even served in the military.

Brian Dennehy caught a large amount of fecal matter a few years back for his claims of combat service when he was really a REMF. I do not remember if he was a Marine or not.

Charlton Heston was a B29 crewman in the Army Air Corps. He was not a Marine.

Fred ("Mister") Rogers was not a Marine, was not a sniper, and never served in the military.

Now Lee Marvin, he was a Marine, and apparently saw some of the worst the Pacific had to offer during WWII.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
There also a few omissions on the list; James Brady, "Parade" magazine columnist, Pat Robertson, and Charles Whitman (Oswald is listed). I would have to classify the anti-gun Brady as an ex-marine just like Oswald. He's quite a pansy when interviewed and without pictures and proof (he served under John Chaffee in Korea), I would have a very hard time reconciling him as a marine.

BTW, the Everly Brothers only served six months active in the USMCR and were then discharged. Some kind of deal worked out with their record company and draft board so that they could avoid military service and continue recording and singing. I got that out of the liner notes on their greatest hits.

Burt Reynolds was not a marine or in any branch of the military either. He went to college on a football scholarship after high school and subsequently destroyed a knee causing him to lose the scholarship, become disqualified from military service, and turn to acting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Another omission is actor James Whitmore. Saw some heavy stuff in WWII.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top