Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2007 12:53:58 AM EDT
It's official folks... we've totally lost our collective minds as a so-called "civilization".

www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=59295&CFID=10843867&CFTOKEN=31773950

Family's Rectal Thermometer Breaks, Dozens Show up to Assist

A New York family got more attention than they bargained for after one of the family members accidentally broke a rectal thermometer. A small quantity of mercury dripped out, and puddled on the floor.

Taking no chances, they rushed to the telephone to call 911. The authorities responded by sending dozens of volunteers to come and clean up the tiny mess. The local Fire Chief said that mercury could cause stomach problems if one were to inhale it.

The volunteers were fortified in protective gear as they removed the substance, where it was taken to a facility to be neutralized. All in all, over 100 people were involved in the incident. The device does not seem to have been in use when it broke.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh dear god, a tiny drop of Mercury.... aaaaaah everyone put on your hazmat suits!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:05:24 AM EDT
[#2]
OMFG

OMG OMG OMG it's a tiny pellet of merucury..CALL 911!!!

Over twenty years ago I broke a mercury thermometor...
I scooped up the little pellets of mercury and disposed of it.
No mask...no gloves..I'm still alive...

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Family's Rectal Thermometer Breaks, Dozens Show up to Assist

Uh, shouldn't it be, "Family's Rectal Thermometer Breaks, Dozens Show up to Ass"?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I ate some mercury a time or two.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#5]
A few years ago, a garage caught fire in Northern California.  The homeowner called 911 and the Fire Dept. put out the fire in about five minutes.  They then taped off the garage as a hazardous site.  The firemen refused to go inside the garage and wouldn't allow the owner in either.  They called out the hazmat team to "clean up" the area.  

The "toxic" chemicals were a couple of containers of bug spray and weed 'n feed - the same stuff that you'd buy at Home Depot.  The hazmat crew removed and disposed of the offending items and the local government sent a bill of something like $10K to the homeowner.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
OMFG

OMG OMG OMG it's a tiny pellet of merucury..CALL 911!!!

Over twenty years ago I broke a mercury thermometor...
I scooped up the little pellets of mercury and disposed of it.
No mask...no gloves..I'm still alive...

Death is coming any day now. Please send me your guns.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]
They evacuated a local middle school two or three times last year because they caught students playing with mercury from the chem lab. It was hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember when I was kid (early to mid 1970's), my dad bought one of those professional style blood pressure measuring things. It had a big glass tube of mecury that was used in the gauge and some how dad spilled some of the mercury out, as he was assembling the thing.  I thought the "quick silver" was neat to watch as it rolled around inside the box lid.  He just poured the stuff back into the tube and finished assembling the thing.    Dad did tell me not to touch the stuff and made sure I didn't. It was still neat to see the beads form into a big bead.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Wait until they get the 100k bill for the hazmat cleanup and disposal!

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#10]

So a couple of sheets of Bounty and a Ziplock bag would have been underkill?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:44:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Know what the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer is?
The taste!

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:50:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Know what the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer is?
The taste!

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I hope they vacuumed out Uranus too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:53:00 AM EDT
[#14]
"Gonna' buy me a Mercury..."
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:00:00 AM EDT
[#15]
My dad used to tell me about playing with a small jar of mercury when he was little.  

He never suffered any effects from it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:02:26 AM EDT
[#16]
"Frank and beans"....why is that coming to mind?....maybe its the bunch of emergency personnel that showed up
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#17]
In the 60's we shot alot of lead reloads in our S&W's. My old man would take a bottle of mercury, pour a little in the bbl,fingers on the ends, and shake it back and forth a few times. It took the lead right out! I played with the stuff , did not know any better, i guess my old man didn't either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember when I was a kid, we'd intentionally break thermometers just to get the mercury out and play with it.
We'd put it in a film container and bring it to school for entertainment.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Mercury is cool stuff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#20]
i used to play with Mercury alot as a kid. every thermometer I would find I would break. that shit can be fun
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The taste!

When my girlfriend first started hanging around she wasn't feeling well one day so I gave her a thermometer to use.   She stuck it in her mouthe and I waited a few mintues and said "Wait, that is a rectal thermometer!"

And I wonder why she calls me a shithead all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top