Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2006 3:36:10 PM EDT

Family shoots cat after it attacks infant

Canadian Press
Mar. 10, 2006 12:33 PM

BEAUMONT, Alta. - Margo Dawson says her family had no choice but to shoot a cat that was "hissing and growling" after another feline in the house attacked her 16-month-old granddaughter.

"The cat just jumped on top of her head and wouldn't let go," Dawson said Thursday. "I screamed and kicked the cat in the butt to get it away.

"Emma was hysterical. She had cuts on her ears and the back of her head."

The girl needed six stitches to close scratches on her head, Dawson said.

She said the cat "got spooked" and broke into a crazed run throughout the house before jumping on the toddler.

"Emma was defenseless. The blood was just gushing."

The cat that attacked Emma ran away and hid before the family could shoot her, said Dawson. But another cat in the house was "hissing and growling," so the family decided to shoot it.

It was not clear whether the attacking cat was found after it ran off.

The two felines were among five cats Dawson's family took into their Beaumont-area home south of Edmonton about two weeks ago after responding to an ad offering them free to a good home.

Dan Tanguay, the former owner, was angry after finding one of the animals shot to death outside the Dawson home.

He said he and his girlfriend, Krista, were forced to give up the cats because they didn't get along with his dog.

The Alberta SPCA says there's no law that prevents owners from shooting their own animals provided it's done humanely.

Bad day to be a cat in that house.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:37:20 PM EDT
One down, so many more to go.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:38:53 PM EDT
Why not shoot the kid? It was already injured.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:39:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

+ infinity
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:39:41 PM EDT
why not shoot everything
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:40:20 PM EDT
I have always wanted to shoot a mean cat out of a spud gun...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:47:26 PM EDT

Another +1.

Damn, but do I hate cats.

I really do.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:53:32 PM EDT
I call "dysfunctional" family on this bunch. Bunch of psycho cats and some mighty poor cat wranglin'.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:54:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 3:54:38 PM EDT by sgthoskins]
My mother in-law's cat scratched my 18 month old son just below the eyeball. It took all I had in me not to pull my side arm and dispatch of it right there in the family room. Not only because the cat has now attacked both of my boys but the mother in-law is a left wing nut,

ETA: The only thing I hate more than cats is Liberals.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:59:16 PM EDT
Hey lets all just shoot our pets......stupid people.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:04:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 4:05:43 PM EDT by Q3131A]
Never take in stray cats. You don't know what you are getting. My wife an I "saved" five cats and released them on our farm in VA. They were absolutely psyco. They attacked and killed just about everything they could; birds, rabbits, snakes, bugs, even a small run away dog. They attacked my toddler son, my wife, myself, the neighbors and their kids. Then one of them got really sick and we had to call animal control. Short of the story, don't trust people when they tell you cats are nice.

ETA: Of the five only two were acceptable to the family. And NO we did not mistreat them in any way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:05:17 PM EDT
The cats have struck the first blow,it is time for us to strike the last.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:05:33 PM EDT

I read the title and thought, "Ok...I should care why?"

1. Kicking a cat while it is implanted it's claws in a baby's head....not smart.
2. Shooting an animal that attacks a family member without provocation...NO PROBLEM.
3. Five cats in one house...not smart.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:09:01 PM EDT

The Alberta SPCA says there's no law that prevents owners from shooting their own animals provided it's done humanely.

Niiice.... i should move to alberta! lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:10:47 PM EDT
Survival of the fittest...

Originally Posted By 10mmFan:

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 4:13:00 PM EDT by CZ75_9MM]
I hate cats and I hate going to peoples houses that get upset if you dont like their cats or if you dont pet them when they jump in your lap.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:15:26 PM EDT
pics or vid???
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:16:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 4:18:18 PM EDT by 13thWarrior]
That reminds me, How bout a good old game of kitten cannon. Only the youth can think of something so fucked up.

I got mine to go 1024 feet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:16:48 PM EDT
i've always wished a cat would snap on me so i could have an excuse to just snap its spine in my hands...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:18:48 PM EDT
You know what an American SPCA would have said... and it wouldn't even be close to what the Alberta SPCA said:

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:19:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 4:20:55 PM EDT by deej86]
My family took in our little gremlin cat from a shelter. That's probably the only good place to get a stray from.(Not that I'm condoning leaving a cat out there defenseless but at a minimum at a shelter you at least have some documentation, vet check etc.)

I also volunteered at a local shelter for a short time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:20:50 PM EDT
Taste like chicken......
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:21:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

Family shoots cat after it attacks infant

Canadian Press
Mar. 10, 2006 12:33 PM

BEAUMONT, Alta. - Margo Dawson says her family had no choice but to shoot a cat that was "hissing and growling" after another feline in the house attacked her 16-month-old granddaughter.

"The cat just jumped on top of her head and wouldn't let go," Dawson said Thursday. "I screamed and kicked the cat in the butt to get it away.

"Emma was hysterical. She had cuts on her ears and the back of her head."

The girl needed six stitches to close scratches on her head, Dawson said.

She said the cat "got spooked" and broke into a crazed run throughout the house before jumping on the toddler.

"Emma was defenseless. The blood was just gushing."

The cat that attacked Emma ran away and hid before the family could shoot her, said Dawson. But another cat in the house was "hissing and growling," so the family decided to shoot it.

It was not clear whether the attacking cat was found after it ran off.

The two felines were among five cats Dawson's family took into their Beaumont-area home south of Edmonton about two weeks ago after responding to an ad offering them free to a good home.

Dan Tanguay, the former owner, was angry after finding one of the animals shot to death outside the Dawson home.

He said he and his girlfriend, Krista, were forced to give up the cats because they didn't get along with his dog.

Bad day to be a cat in that house.

lmao!!!

"You gotta know when to hold em..."

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:21:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sdman11890:

Niiice.... i should move to alberta! lol

It is a great province, adn now i know what I can do to my In-Laws cats if they attack my son

I live 3 hours north of Beaumont
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:23:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:25:37 PM EDT
If you truly hate cats, make it a fair fight. Get in the cage with a Siberian Tiger. It seems a little pussified to take your childish dementia out on something that is maybe a twentieth your size.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:37:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 13thWarrior:
That reminds me, How bout a good old game of kitten cannon. Only the youth can think of something so fucked up.

WTF?! I just 1400 first shot, I used to never get above 800, kept bouncin off of tannerite
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:49:25 PM EDT

If you truly hate cats, make it a fair fight. Get in the cage with a Siberian Tiger. It seems a little pussified to take your childish dementia out on something that is maybe a twentieth your size.

Truly spoken by someone who has never attempted to give a housecat a bath.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:51:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CSM:
I have always wanted to shoot a mean cat out of a spud gun...

I was thinking more along the lines of a CAT-apult....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:02:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cahill:

WTF?! I just 1400 first shot, I used to never get above 800, kept bouncin off of tannerite

1316 ft. I laughed till I cried. Maybe it was the Crown Royal are the pitiful meeooows
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:09:38 PM EDT
Hahaha, so one cat goes loopy and they shoot the one that is 'turning' instead of the one that committed the offense?

Well, sounds good to me! Though I would suggest still capping the other cat as well.

(IMO, this cat got off lucky... A family member of mine saw his sisters cat attack his niece so he tossed it off a 400' cliff)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:10:41 PM EDT

1124. That game rocks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:13:50 PM EDT

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:15:53 PM EDT
I seem to have read somewhere that most serial killers started out torturing small animals, oh well, FREE SGTAR15!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:19:30 PM EDT

If you truly hate cats, make it a fair fight. Get in the cage with a Siberian Tigerhow in the fuck is that a fair fight? . It seems a little pussifiedand no need to name call to take your childish dementia out on something that is maybe a twentieth your size.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:30:02 PM EDT
what about rabies? I don't know the situation, but it could happen. I hope they brought the cat to the vet..
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:32:25 PM EDT

Thats great 839' my best so far
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:02:05 PM EDT

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:07:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ar-wrench:

Truly spoken by someone who has never attempted to give a housecat a bath.

Why the hell would anyone give a housecat a bath? They are self cleaning.

Back to the story---------------------------

Crazy people, often have crazy pets. Read the story, 1 cat attacked the child and ran away, so they shot a different cat that hadn't been involved in the attack.

I think the infant has more to worry about from it's parent's and grandparent's behavior than it does from cats, dogs, or kangaroos combined.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:12:30 PM EDT

Crazy people, often have crazy pets. Read the story, 1 cat attacked the child and ran away, so they shot a different cat that hadn't been involved in the attack.

With cats getting scared is contagious. Much the same as dogs barking.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:20:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jerrmy:
i've always wished a cat would snap on me so i could have an excuse to just snap its spine in my hands...

Dude, seek help....seriously.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:32:13 PM EDT
wonder if it was rabies
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:33:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:

Nick

That's creepy man...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:49:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NME:

Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:

Nick

That's creepy man...

hell..he ain't gonna snap a cats spine anyway...they're made of rubberbands...can't break 'em.
I had a cat that attacked a child....it got shot. Now...before the Cat Mafia gets me....I buried a cat 2 years ago on New Years Eve......He was a good animal, and a friend for 16 years.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:52:22 PM EDT

Guilt by association. Hey, works for me! One cat's as good as the next, I suppose.

Makes me wonder just how many bullet holes are in their house. If you draw down on your cat, I imagine mice and other critters get the same treatment.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:57:14 PM EDT
Trusting any animals with the welfare and safety of your children is idiotic.

Dogs, cats, etc. They're all animals, never forget that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:01:56 PM EDT

I really do hope that was meant as a joke. If not, then I'm sorry, but my respect for you has plummetted .
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:07:53 PM EDT
This reminds me of a thread a while back when a guy had a 8 pound dog bark at him and he was in fear of his life.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:09:43 PM EDT

Possibly the stupidest post ever on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:17:03 PM EDT
Why is ANYONE letting a cat OR dog that close to an infant? They're animals, and if they go a little nutty OR perceive the infant to be a threat (this can be a problem with dogs as they can be at eye level), you have a problem on your hand and it's YOUR fault half the time. Animals do what they do.

Sucks for the baby, that's awful, sucks for the cat, I like cats. Stupid parents.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:32:43 PM EDT

I don't know why in the hell so many people hate cats. If an animal is attacking or threatening you, you kill it, no matter what it is, and you do so in a cold, clean, humane manner. I've found dogs to be far more threatening, and I have been in situations where I thought i'd have to try to kill a dog in self-defense with my bare hands (no CCW in MD ).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top