Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 1:29:20 PM EDT
California Officer Turns the Tables on His Accuser

ASSOCIATED PRESS

TORRANCE, Calif. (AP) -- Laurel Rosales tried to get police officer Dave Maitlen in trouble.

Now she's the one in hot water.

In February, Rosales, 32, claimed Maitlen robbed her of her driver's license, threatened her and called her a derogatory term for a lesbian, according to the Daily Breeze of Torrance.

Maitlen wasn't too concerned. He had tape recorded the encounter with Rosales, which began when he responded to a report that someone was beating a child in a parked car.

Torrance police cleared Maitlen of any wrongdoing following a five-month investigation. But that wasn't enough for the 30-year-old officer.

Maitlen took Rosales to court. After listening to the tape, Judge Pro Tem Jay Belshaw ruled in the officer's favor.

''The court finds that defendant, Laurel Rosales, falsely accused (Maitlen) of making terrorist threats in a 911 call to the Torrance Police Department on Feb. 11, 2005,'' the ruling said. ''Also, defendant Rosales falsely accused plaintiff of robbery. These accusations are slander.''

Belshaw also found that Maitlen did not sexually discriminate against Rosales.

The judge ruled that Maitlen suffered no actual damages and ordered Rosales to pay him just $50.
That was fine with the eight-year officer.

''It definitely wasn't about the money,'' he said.

Torrance detectives plan to ask the City Prosecutor to charge Rosales, of Carson, Calif. with a misdemeanor count of making a false allegation against a police officer, said Lt. Rod Irvine.

Rosales could not be reached for comment.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:35:33 PM EDT
$50 stinky bucks?

Why is it that is $500K or more if it's the other way around?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 1:41:02 PM EDT by FLAL1A]
I got $3K from one rich dirtbag who hit a cop, tore his shirt pocket, and knocked his radio mike off his shoulder. The prosecutor "inadvertently misplaced" the file, so speedy trial ran and the asshole was never prosecuted. I got $6K from another BG for a cop who broke a knuckle when the guy ducked while they fighting, causing the officer to strike a china cabinet instead of the BG's face.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:42:01 PM EDT
I believe that if you do something like that you should get jail time
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:42:13 PM EDT
Note that the investigation took 5 months. 5 months that the officers every move would be under the microscope and he woiuld be ineligible for promotion. The complaint, even unfonded, will remain in his jacket and be referred to by defense attornies and accusers in the future. But he suffered no actual "loss."

The woman should at least have to reimburse the LE agency for the entire cost of the investigation, as well as be prosecuted.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:43:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deimos:
$50 stinky bucks?

Why is it that is $500K or more if it's the other way around?

Nominal damages used to be only $1. I guess inflation is real.

R.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:44:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
I got $6K from another BG for a cop who broke a knuckle when the guy ducked while they fighting, causing the officer to strike a china cabinet instead of the BG's face.

I have a problem with that one. If a cop is gonna swing a fist, he damn well better know how to do it, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:44:41 PM EDT
I know of one case where a suspect was ordered to pay restitution to a cop who missed an overtime time shift becuase he injured his hand due to the suspect violently resisting arrest. The suspect has to pay $50.00 a month until the debt is paid off. if he missess a payment his probation will be revoked and a warrant issued for his arrest.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:44:42 PM EDT
If the tables were turned the cop /city would pay out hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars, and the cop would be fired/prosecuted.

Good job judge
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:55:16 PM EDT
That needs to be removed from the LEO's record.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:55:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
''The court finds that defendant, Laurel Rosales, falsely accused (Maitlen) of making terrorist threats in a 911 call to the Torrance Police Department on Feb. 11, 2005,'' the ruling said. ''Also, defendant Rosales falsely accused plaintiff of robbery. These accusations are slander.''

A false "terrorist threat" report?

That sounds like a hell of a lot more than just slander.

Bitch should have been deported.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:32:52 PM EDT

Laurel Rosales

Was she hot?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:47:46 PM EDT
Any word on the dog's condition?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:53:53 PM EDT
I hear too much anecdotal stories about officers wrongly accused of misconduct and/or illegal activities when dealing with scumbags while their departments/agencies do very little to those who wrongly accuse.

These false accusations won't disappear, but would be greatly reduced if they were investigated and the scumbag making the false accusation was charged and made to pay both the PD and the accused officer(s). No overtime, no promotions and having to deal with the brass who may view this officer as a problemhas a dollar amount attached to it.

Do some time and pay restitution.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:22:34 PM EDT
My department and DA's office won't even CONSIDER going after someone who files a false complaint. They say it might make people afraid to complain against officers. And I can't sue them without my chief's permission or I risk losing my job.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:30:43 PM EDT

Note that the investigation took 5 months. 5 months that the officers every move would be under the microscope and he woiuld be ineligible for promotion. The complaint, even unfonded, will remain in his jacket and be referred to by defense attornies and accusers in the future. But he suffered no actual "loss."

The woman should at least have to reimburse the LE agency for the entire cost of the investigation, as well as be prosecuted.

Ain't dat de troof!
Top Top