Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2002 12:42:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Never heard of anything like that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You want to search for leukocytosis, a general term for an increased white blood cell count.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, there are a variety of causes, I think, but I am not an authority.  Among them, IHMO:  Stress (seizures, overexertion), bacterial and viral infections, a splenectomy (but would be transient, I think), certain drugs (lithium, Beta agonists, corticosteroids, and, I believe, aspirin and others like Tylenol and Advil), poisonings, Addison's disease and myeloproliferative, bone marrow, and bone growth factor disorders.  Diabetic?  How are the kidneys?  

[b]I'm no expert[/b], so please don't trust anything I say about something so serious.

I do assume that her Primary Care Doctor, is aware of, and follows this?  He, or she, is the one to ask.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a Registered Medical Technologist with a Hematology Specialty. here's my take.

there are numerous medical oddities that have a leukmoid type response.

they range from a Myelo Dysplastic Syndrome to any number of other problems.

it takes years for some hematology diseases to spark. they will lay in waiting for something to ignite them. this could be from a seasonal change in the weather to a injury to the body.

a Bone Marrow Aspirate will usually be done for the final diagnosis. ask for CONSCIOUS SEDATION for this procedure. once a defining marker is chosen as the culprit, they can do something about it..

pay the out of pocket expense to see an ONCOLOGIST....dont mess around..
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Ditto the "don't mess around".
Don't get panicked, but stay serious.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top