Bad news, yes. But I don't blame them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Where's the beef???
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The Brits had their chance and blew it. Now its our turn. When the government says its time to start destroying herds, we take these sick, doomed cows and have them walk the mine fields in foriegn lands. We get rid of the cows and the mines and innocent people don't lose their lives or limbs. Its a win win!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Anybody else thinking that Al-Qaeda may have just found a new way to go after our economy?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anybody else thinking that Al-Qaeda may have just found a new way to go after our economy?
View Quote

Not me.
Human ignorance, stupidity and greed were sufficient.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I live on a grain farm in a farming community and none of the dairy/beef farms around here feed animal tissue of any kind to their cows.  

On a sidenote, what about that brain rot or whatever that some deer in the midwest contracted?  Couldn't that spread to cattle?  From what i understand .gov quarintined areas off and all the deer were killed in that area.

-DEERSNIPER
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Being on the lookout for Al-Quaeda is a good thing.  Looking under every cow patty is a little much.  

The Japanese have been looking for a way to stop importing US beef for years.  The Kobe beef producers have been paying off the gov't to minimize beef coming in and max their profits.  Heck the Japanese had BSE and did almost nothing to stop it.  When I was stationed over their they came up with a law that imported beef could not be refrigerated below a certain temperature because that affected flavor.  That temperature was about 5 degrees above what freezer containers are set at and above what the FDA required.

Of course the Arkansas chicken producers got the law changed so that their frozen chickens could be called fresh in the US markets.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
My brother-in-law shit a brick when I called him. He doubts that his dairy farm is worth the land it sits on now.

They need to torch all of those animals, burn the farm and then nuke the soil.

This is going to screw over the dairy/beef industry in Washington. I feel for eastern Washington farms.

Quoted:
This is very bad news for friends and family in farming.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

WOW! Now that is as bad as the idiots at DUh suggesting the Bush Admin is behind it... Come on [rolleyes]
View Quote

I'll agree that it's probably 99.9% probable that it was grinding up monkey brains or whatever the hell they throw into the woodchipper before they slop the cows (can you tell I'm not from a farm?), but if you think about it, creating the panic of something in the food chain is a hell of a lot more effective than some knucklehead trying to meet Allah by hurling himself into a water reservoir with a couple of bags of the "bug du jour"

Besides, we're all busy looking for planes and mysterious packages, Sun-Tzu would think hitting us where we ain't looking would be quite the way to go.

btw, are turkey immune to this stuff?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They need to torch all of those animals, burn the farm and then nuke the soil.

This is going to screw over the dairy/beef industry in Washington. I feel for eastern Washington farms.

Quoted:
This is very bad news for friends and family in farming.
View Quote
View Quote

That is the correct assesment of the situation, in order to get rid of mad cows disease. I saw on a PBS channel 28 KCET(L.A.) special that prions are killed only if heated to 900ºF, btw that is the melting point of lead. And they are still active after being buried 6 months in the ground.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd suspect PETA and not our little Arab friends.  

There is no evidence at this point that indicate that this herd was fed animal byproducts.  There have been cases of prion infested deer in the upper midwest.  I think that it was a case where it was an environment issue, not feeding.

I really think that this is a non-issue thats going to be blown out of proportion.  This is actually going to be interesting to see what happens now.  There's been a little bit of a beef trade war with Canada.  With the border being closed, beef prices have been at an all time high...will be interesting to see what happens now.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Many of the questions here are answered in my posts in the other thread on this subject ongoing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
You know, I was stationed in the UK during the height of their Mad Cow problems.  I am fine now and have no problems other than the fact that they won't take my blood because they are afraid that it might be tainted and that isn't true because it's been ten years and I'm just fine I tell them I'm fine and they don't believe me I tell them that I sometimes feel bugs but who doesn't every once and awhile I feel them squirming inside me and I have to boil my beer so that it will kill them.

They're my batteries and that's all we have to say about that, isn't it?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You know, I was stationed in the UK during the height of their Mad Cow problems.  I am fine now and have no problems other than the fact that they won't take my blood because they are afraid that it might be tainted and that isn't true because it's been ten years and I'm just fine I tell them I'm fine and they don't believe me and tell me that a sign of it is repeating myself and I tell them that I don't repeat myself and haven't since I was stationed in the UK during the height of their Mad Cow problems.  I am fine now and have no problems other than the fact that they won't take my blood because they are afraid that it might be tainted and that isn't true because it's been ten years and I'm just fine I tell them I'm fine and they don't believe me and tell me that a sign of it is repeating myself and I tell them that I don't repeat myself and haven't since I was stationed in the UK during the height of their Mad Cow problems.  I am fine now and have no problems other than the fact that they won't take my blood because they are afraid that it might be tainted and that isn't true because it's been ten years and I'm just fine I tell them I'm fine and they don't believe me and tell me that a sign of it is repeating myself and I tell them that I don't repeat myself and haven't since I was stationed in the UK during the height of their Mad Cow problems.
View Quote

[shock]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I would think that they are feeding the cows the best friggin food on the planet by the price of beef lately! T-Bones $13.00 lb.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#19]
We have the same situation,lived in germany in early 80's and it's been over 20 years for us and they still won't take our blood for the same reasons.
1Gunrunner,I know you live some what close to my brother in Yelm,but forgot where you said you lived when I met you out in New York? My family is still somewhat into cattle ranching but not as big as they used to. Just curious where this happened.
Susanne
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#21]
1Gunrunner,thanks for the info. I'll be calling
my brother tomorrow after I get out of work. Hope you have a great holiday and Merry Christmas.
You would think after England had their bout of mad cow, and just recently canada,that we here in the US would be alot better about this. One of the reasons I like to raise my own meat,I at least know what goes into them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top