Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/10/2006 3:33:22 PM EDT
EVANSVILLE - About six members of a Kansas radical faction, labeled by some as a hate group, arrived in Evansville Tuesday to protest a fallen soldier's funeral. The Westboro Baptist Church said it believes Private First Class Jonathan Pfender and all soldiers serve a country that supports homosexuality. Hundreds of veterans showed up to block the protestors message and support the family and large group of law enforcement was there to keep the peace.

Just as police suspected the protest never turned violent. In fact the hundreds of people who showed up in support of the family completely outweighed the six protestors and what some call their message of hate.

As the protestors arrived, one said, "This is a pretty little picket. I'm excited."

Their anti-gay anti-America message came in loud and clear, but the volume of another message was more profound than anyone could have imagined.

One veteran said, "A dead soldier, that's who we're for. He died for his country and he died for their right to do what they're doing behind me."

It's an ironic twist, six protestors who set out to disrupt a funeral may have galvanized the community. The protesters threat attracted hundreds of people with their heart set on laying Pfender to rest in peace and giving his family a true time to grieve.

Pfender's Aunt Vicki Wolf said, "Jonathan would have loved all the veterans the support, forget the protestors this is glory."

Their signs and songs quickly faded into the background, as supporters arrived with an arsenal of noise.

Marty Perkins, aVeteran with the VFW in Princeton said, "He wore the same uniform, this is what you do."

Wolf said, "It's rough but the veterans make it 100% better if there's anyway to make it better they've made it better."

And as the songs of America, and the signs of freedom prevailed, celebrating Pfender's legacy finally became the true reason for today.

Wolf said, "It just puts a different kind of spin on this, it's a good thing.'

At the funeral, the chaplain described Jonathan as a person who never met a stranger and always had a smile on his face.
from channel 25 abc tv news
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:36:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:13:29 PM EDT
The part that was not mentioned in the news article was the fact that local police put them in a 20 ft by 20 ft area a half a block away. They also had part of the SWAT team "guarding them" Then there were the dozen or so bikes (harley's?) right behind them who just happened to be tuning up. I had planned on going but last minute work crap came up. Listening to the local police at my desk was a blast. Many on the SWAT team are Vets, including recent Iraq returnees. From the radio traffic I was able to hear I think SWAT was going to experiance "equipment malfuctions" at least that was on term I was able to hear.
When I caught film footage of this crap I saw on of these aholes wearing a flag wrapped around her ass, and it was just around her ass. I would have liked to see if it would have fit in her pie hole the same.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:19:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:30:32 PM EDT
As far as I can tell these shitstains have never come to Texas, am I right? I dont think their antics would go over well here... If they ever try to show up count me in and I'll throw down for a caseload of air horns to point in their direction.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:39:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DuBri:
As far as I can tell these shitstains have never come to Texas, am I right? I dont think their antics would go over well here... If they ever try to show up count me in and I'll throw down for a caseload of air horns FOX labs spray to point in their direction.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:42:54 PM EDT
HUUUUUSH UP THERE .45 MAN! We dont want to let the cat out of the bag too soon
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:00:16 PM EDT
Pleeeese let us turn these guys lose

From the Evansville Courier and press
Legislative panel endorses protest restrictions at funerals

Protesters outnumbered by vets at soldier's funeral
By THOMAS B. LANGHORNE and PHILIP ELLIOTT, Courier & Press staff writers
January 10, 2006

A cold rain could not cool passions aroused by seven flag-stomping, obscenity-spewing protestors outside Pvt. Jonathan Pfender's funeral this morning - but there was no violence.

All things considered, Joe Shimek said afterward, that is amazing.

"If the city of Evansville had not asked us to turn our backs, when they stomped on that flag, it would have been all over," said Shimek, judge advocate of Evansville-based Detachment 1090 of the Marine Corps League.

"If they come back again, the city ought to turn us loose and let us do our thing and put an end to it," Shimek said. "These people are vile. They're evil."

Having been asked by Evansville police to hold their tempers, several hundred motorcycle-riding, leather-jacketed military veterans and their supporters turned their backs to the protestors and drowned out their chants with singing, recorded patriotic music and shouts of their own.

The protestors, all women representing Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church, were confined to the walkway leading into the Locust Street entrance of the Civic Center.

Surrounded by police-issue orange netting, they danced on a rain-soaked American flag, substituted obscenities for the lyrics of patriotic songs and carried placards with such slogans as, "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "Thank God for IEDS."

"God hates America!" one of the protestors bellowed. "God hates every veteran of the U.S. military!"

Westboro describes the deaths of soldiers, regardless of their sexual preferences, as evidence of God's judgment against America for tolerating homosexuality. Among the placards protestors carried Tuesday were several with anti-gay slogans.

Inside The Centre, where the funeral services were conducted, mourners cried and heard glowing memories of Pfender.

The 22-year-old soldier was remembered as a person who made his loved ones laugh and served his country well.

"As a child, he played soldier. He posed as a soldier," Chaplain Ken Reid said during the funeral at The Centre. "He desired, in all things in life, to be a soldier."

Pfender died Dec. 30 when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle in Bayji, Iraq. He enlisted in 2001 and served in the 101st Airborne Division based in Fort Campbell, Ky.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:05:06 PM EDT
Surprising that no one has attempted to burn down those fucking "churches" yet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:50:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:57:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 9:58:05 AM EDT by hardcorps1775]
god loves that community!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:02:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 11:03:53 AM EDT by Miranthis]
The regularly picketed my Law School in Topeka (where a lot of them went to law school). I think when they are home they make the rounds of the local area doing the protest thing. Their "church" is a walled compound. We pretty much ignore them, but they just keep on. They are entirely beyond reason.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:07:40 AM EDT
At the risk of stating the obvious, those are some seriously deranged people.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:49:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Coop_K:
At the risk of stating the obvious, those are some seriously deranged people.

+1
Top Top