Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 11:34:27 AM EST
I posted this in thae AR15 forum, but haven't had an answer yet. I thought I would post here since there is more traffic. I am limited with tools. I have a dremel with the good cutting wheels and basic tools. How should I go about taking this muxxle device off? (after the sunset of course)

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:36:10 AM EST
Easy. Box it up and send it to Steve at Adco. Thats my plan.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:38:07 AM EST
I was thinking about that, but if it is easy enough I might give it a try myself. I can always send it to him if my method doesn't work.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:40:28 AM EST
is it attached with high temp solder?

I'm going to use a mapp gas torch to heat up and remove the muzzle brake on my STG-58
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:42:57 AM EST
I don't know what is holding it on. I thought about heating it up with a torch or dremeling that section. It is a RRA upper if that helps.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:46:15 AM EST
Looks like it's pinned and welded.

Best to let someone who has steady hands and the proper tools attack it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:50:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/29/2004 11:51:17 AM EST by Engineer]

Seriously, try to grind the weld off and then use something to grab the pin and pull it out. Or else, just send it to Adco and have them do it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:52:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jasba:
Easy. Box it up and send it to Steve at Adco. Thats my plan.....

+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:53:19 AM EST
Is that one of their entry tactical style LEGP whatchamacalits? I would be interested in knowing how to remove that badboy as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:55:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By dave223:
Is that one of their entry tactical style LEGP whatchamacalits? I would be interested in knowing how to remove that badboy as well.

It's a 9mm upper.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:11:30 PM EST
The round spot in the photo appears to be weld over a pin, as stated above.

Grind down till you can see separation between the metal of the pin and the metal of the flash hider, about 1/8th-3/16th should do it. An uninterrupted line indicating that there is no more weld between the two pieces, this can be hard to spot if the pin is well fit but you can always see it if you look hard enough. If you need help spotting it try applying a little soldering flux, it should blacken the line between the two.

If the pin is a roll pin you can get a punch that fits the hole fairly well, fill the hole with grease then use the punch to drive the pin out via hydraulic action, or try the tang of a small file or an easy-out (take care with the file or easy out solution that you don't spread the pin making it more difficult to remove.
If the pin is solid you can try to drill, but be careful you don’t drill so deep as to drill your barrel.

If you have a welder you can tack a lever to the pin and pull it up, or use a torch to heat the flash hider and hope that is expands enough for the pin to come out easily (wrap a wet towel around the barrel to dissipate heat). Anyway that is what I would try, I'm sure someone might have better idea.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:26:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/29/2004 1:27:51 PM EST by bgenlvtex]
If it is "Adco Pinned" the pin is a setscrew that is tightened down and then welded and ground off. Or at least this is the procedure that Steve described to me. That photo looks like their work.This will be difficult to remove short of milling/drilling. I suspect that Adco would chuck it up in a lathe and spin it down. Or I could be full of shit.

Editted to correct spelling
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:18:18 PM EST
I did buy it from Adco. I was under the impression it came from RRA that way, but I am probably wrong.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:23:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:27:01 PM EST
I just e-mailed RRA on the same issue with an upper I have (different brake though). They replied that you can just grind it down a bit to clear the weld, then wiggle the brake until the pin comes out a little, and then pull out. Should also have threads underneath so all you need to do is then attach the flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:48:15 PM EST
I figured I won't be shooting again until after the ban sunsets, so I went ahead and tackled it. It was extremely easy. The dremel ground away the weld very easily, Below the weld was a small pin that more or less fell out. The old brake just screwed off and the new flash hider screwed right on. Man that was easy. Now I just have to keep the upper away from the lower. So off to my parents house for storage.

Top Top