Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 12:01:18 PM EDT
[url]http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/weird_news/6072588.htm[/url]

Jackson County prosecutors on Wednesday charged a man with impersonating a police officer after he allegedly tried to pull over a real police officer who was driving to work.

"Out of all the people to try to pull over, he picked a police officer," said police spokesman Capt. Rich Lockhart.

Clifford P. Holloway, 30, of south Kansas City, was arrested late Tuesday after police say he led them on a chase, crashed his blue Ford Crown Victoria into a utility pole, then ran to his home in the 11400 block of Lister Drive.

Police found a gold badge, a police scanner, a list of police radio frequencies, a night stick, handcuffs and other police paraphernalia in Holloway's car, according to court records.

Holloway was charged with felony resisting arrest. He also faces misdemeanor charges for false impersonation of a law enforcement officer, careless and imprudent driving, leaving the scene of a vehicle accident, and driving with a suspended license.

He was being held Wednesday night in lieu of $100,000 bond.

Police did not know whether Holloway had tried or had successfully pulled over other motorists in the past.

Holloway was a licensed security guard in the mid-1990s in Kansas City. But he lost his license in January 1996 after several incidents of "poor judgment and abuse of authority," according to files at the Board of Police Commissioners Private Officers Licensing Section.

Section employees wrote Holloway a letter in 1996 telling him that he exceeded his authority when he pursued prowlers onto public streets, causing a multicar pileup.

He also was chastised for telling a person accused of injuring a child to leave a motel, handcuffing a relative of the child, and pointing a handgun at a crowd of bystanders.

The incidents helped lead to his indefinite suspension, records show. The Licensing Section wrote Holloway another letter in May 2000 telling him to stop working as a unlicensed security officer. Records show that the section had learned that he was still working as a security guard without a license and had been identifying himself as a police officer.

Holloway also was wanted on six city bench warrants for animal control violations.

Police said they did not know the man's motive for trying to pull over the off-duty officer. But the officer, Matthew Bandler, said he suspected that the man "liked to pretend he was a police officer."

Court records gave this account of the incident:

Bandler was driving to the Metro Patrol Division station in his red pickup truck about 10:25 p.m. Tuesday when a car ahead of him pulled to the shoulder of northbound U.S. 71 near 85th Street.

As Bandler's truck passed the stopped car, the driver shined a spotlight in Bandler's face. The car then pulled in behind Bandler's truck and the driver activated a flashing blue light on the dashboard.

Seeing no police markings on the car -- and because Missouri law requires police vehicles to use red lights -- Bandler did not pull over. Instead, he slowed down to get the license plate number of the car. But the car slowed down too, and did not pass Bandler.

Bandler called dispatchers on his cell phone. An on-duty officer then tried to pull Holloway's car over, but it sped away. The officer noted that the driver was wearing a gold badge on a chain hanging from his neck.

Holloway, Bandler and the officer exited and turned onto southbound U.S. 71, reaching speeds of 95 mph. The chase wound along Red Bridge Road to Grandview Road to Blue Ridge Boulevard. Officers placed spikes in the roadway and flattened three tires.

The suspect lost control of his car and struck a utility pole. He ran through several back yards and was caught in front yard of his home.

"I wasn't scared," Bandler said. "I was more curious as to `What was this guy thinking?' I'm just glad it happened to me, as a police officer, because who knows what his motives were?"
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
OMFG!!!  I know this dipshit!  He lived a few blocks from the stop-n-rob I used to work at (3rd shift) '89-92.  He was a wanna-be renta-cop back then but he had his uses when he would hang out at my store (playing video games, etc) like writing down license #'s of suspicious cars & just being another person/possible witness to discourage robbery attempts.  Had more than a few suspected crooks give up while loitering around waiting for him to leave so they could rip me off.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=190944[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What a piece of work!

I bet he has a buzz cut and a mustache.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=190944[/url]
View Quote

[fingers in ears]Blah-blah-blah-I cant hear you[/fingers in ears]
Opps, didnt see that post.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's one I like to post when this happens:

Fake Policeman Pulls Over Real Cop

NEW YORK--A man pretending to be a detective was arrested after he pulled over a motorist who turned out to be a police officer, authorities said.
Matthew Daly, 27, flicked on a flashing red police light in his white Nissan and pulled over a car at 34th Street and Madison Avenue in Manhattan about 2:45 p.m. Sunday, police said.
Daly -wearing a bulletproof vest and flaunting a fake detective's shield and replica gun -then allegedly walked up to the car of Officer Anthony Ferrone and told him he had run a red light.
As soon as Ferrone said he was a police officer, Daly ran back to his car and sped off. But Ferrone soon chased him down, police said.
Daly was being held today on charges of impersonating a police officer and criminal possession of a weapon and a bulletproof vest.
"He's going to jail," said Officer Kevin Tyrrell, a police department spokesman. "You can't let the guy who thinks he's a cop go. He'll go back to being a cop again."
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Had the same thing to happen to one of the deputies I work with.  Fake cop pulls over an off duty deputy and starts asking him for money.  Real deputy shows him his real badge and the fake deputy jumps back in his car.  Real deputy doesn't give chase cause he has his family in the car.  Don't think they ever caught the guy.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Geez, and it sounds like the guy would have been such a nice fit with the Broward Co. cops, too.  Well, maybe after he serves his sentence for this crime they'll consider him.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Lol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
You can bet this guy has a big "L" on his forehead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top