Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2002 6:24:10 PM EDT
Just found out this afternoon that I failed Property I.  Since I pay around $3K per class to go to law school, this really sucks ass.  

I have never failed any class in my entire life, until now.  Words cannot express how worried I am about my career/family, etc..

I know there are some lawyers out there- any advice for a discouraged law student?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I am currently in law school.  FWIW, Property was my worst class too.  I barely passed it.  When I told some of my friends that recently graduated and had jobs, they said to not obsess about it.  Most employers look at more than just one grade and as long as you didn't fail other classes, it didn't matter too much.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
D,
Are you going to Stetson?

If so, are you doing the full-time thing or the night classes?

I keep considering going there, but haven't made up my mind yet. I haven't spoken to a single attorney who actually enjoys their job.

Plus the starting wages I've seen for recent graduates would be a pretty hefty pay cut to take after forking over $40k or so.

Sorry to hear it's not going so well for you right now. Tough it out man, less shooting more studying. You had to have something going for you to get accepted, just buckle down and get it together.

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just found out this afternoon that I failed Property I.  Since I pay around $3K per class to go to law school, this really sucks ass.  

I have never failed any class in my entire life, until now.  Words cannot express how worried I am about my career/family, etc..

I know there are some lawyers out there- any advice for a discouraged law student?
View Quote

Uh, study harder?  

Really, no one's perfect... what's the lesson here, grasshopper.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm happy to play one on the internet.  I have taken a few tests in my life, though.  YMMV...

You'll survive... good luck!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Do not worry, [b]dissipator556[/b], Common Law Real Property has got to be one of the most stupid holdovers from the Common Law that the 49 Common Law states continue to piddle about with!

It means nothing! I've practiced law for 23 years and I have yet to have anyone come in to ask me to draw up a deed with reversionary rights in some third party!

I'm sure it happens all the time...not!

Too bad the Common Law never adopted the Civil Code of Rome and Spain, as Louisiana did.

I went to Law School in Louisiana, but we learned Common Law Real Property in our Freshman year, just because it gave you a feel for the growth and establishment of English legal development, from an historical perspective, that would come in handy later in other legal subjects.

You need to get better nutshells to assist you in handling all this material, 'cause it ain't gonna get any easier. Although once you make it past your freshman year, it is [u]very[/u] unlikely that you will flunk out!

If your law school is like LSU is today, they are just looking for folks to bounce! The rate for freshmen at LSU Law School flunking out is 50%!

It was only 30% when I went there!

Get in a study group quickly! Even if you hate their guts, they will force you to learn that stuff!

Eric The(BeenThere,DoneThat,VomitusContinuum)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Though I have never failed a class, this has always worked for my friends:

Just go talk to the prof, if he/she isn't a complete jackass and you were close to passing, they will boost your grade to just enough to pass.  

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Look on the bright side:

You finally passed the "I finally flunked a class" class!

This is an important lesson.
Don't take notes.  [;D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
dissipator556, what was the reason?  Not enough time to study?  The amount of reading?  Trouble staying awake in class?  Whatever it is, identify it so you can fix it before it happens again.z
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
One day in law school (well, actually at "Law Park"), I was rigging up my 6.0 meter sail for a great day of spring windsurfing.  I mentioned to another sailor that I was suppose to be in Con. Law I at that given hour.  I didn't know it at the time, but he was an attorney.  He said something to the effect of: "I almost flunked Con. Law."

[Before anyone gets their undies in a bundle, remember we're talking about "Constitutional Law" liberal UW Madison style.  I wouldn't be too proud about passing that one.]

Heck, my wife first saw me in my 3L (EDIT: oops, 2L, sorry honey [:I] ) year of Civ. Pro. II.  Well, the first two weeks or so.  Then I skipped and prolly did more windsurfing and mountain biking.  Ultimately I took the class pass/fail (trust me, it was a cliffhanger!!) and met her after an exam at the Union at 10:30 a.m. sucking down suds.  We both have jobs in a very competitive market and are doing pretty well.

Point being, the goal of law school should be to graduate from law school and nothing more.  My wife basically stumbled into her practice and it's been wonderful for her.  I suffered to get to where I'm at, but I love the work.

Only worry about grades if you need grades to get to where you want to go.  But, in most of those cases, keep in mind that you'll work your heart out for 7 years and then be looking for a new job if you're not on partnership track.

There are many options out there for you.  Don't worry about this.  When you do "fall into" your niche, you'll have stuff to bounce back from there too, so this is good practice.

Good luck.

EDITED to add that you do actually have to successfully complete law school to get a JD.  See the core class requirement pass/fail cliffhanger noted above.  [;)]  But once you get that first job it's experience and how well you do.  That IMHO is the real test.  I've seen book smart attorneys wash out whereas most of the better courtroom attorneys have been independent thinking on their feet type of people.  All depends on what you want to do.

EDITED second time -- noted in text.  No new girlfriends my 3L year!  My wife is one of the better divorce lawyers in town.  I'm sure she'd take my AR15's just to spite me.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Diss - Your property is my torts... I'll probably have to take it again after I miserably do the dog and pony show on Thur.

Corey - Went to UW for my undergrad ahh the terrace, what a great place for a brew; I heard they did away with the monster size cups this year... Yup UW is cool, if you can stand the stench from that place up the road (capitol.) I should have done law at UW like I intended too. I'd rather pay out of state then study law in the middle of a cornfield.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't worry after your first time every subsequent failure comes easier and easier. I am getting pretty good at it, if I do say so myself.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#14]
What do they call the guy who graduates last in his class from the worst medical school in the country?
Doctor.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I dunno about this one.  

Did the failure come as a surprise?  
Were you doing poorly all along and the low grades just didn't add up to a "pass"?
Were you doing "OK" (low C or better)and just hosed a final?

Discuss it with your professor.  You may be able to argue for a slight increase to whatever constitutes a "pass".  After all, arguing is what the law is all about.  If you can't argue effectively, find another vocation.

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Those who rec'd arguing for a better grade just don't understand... this prof. is an old troll who is the most liberal, arrogant bastard I have ever met.  He prides himself on flunking otherwise intelligent students.  

He did agree to put in a good word for me on my resume though.  Go figure...

Anyway, I am still waiting for the rest of my grades to come in- I should know by Mon. how everything else is going.  

Thanks to all that responded- I do feel a bit better now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top